PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Smu Football: Staying Positive

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Smu Football: Staying Positive

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:36 am

SMU1523 wrote:I do not know who was behind the others.

A bunch of morons, apparently.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Big12Mustang » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:03 am

SMU1523 wrote:We need to advertise every year with billboards and maybe even Dart train wraps... We are in an area with 5 professional sports teams and 3 FBS football programs. Everyone of those teams are pursuing fans discretionary dollar. The best campaign that I can remember was the Juneth Cometh campaign. The creative and the messaging got many people excited about SMU football. I remember a lot of my dad's friends who have no SMU ties talking about buying tix that year because of the billboards on 75. The last couple of campaigns Dallas' Team and Game Day were just pretty subpar messaging wise as well as the creative. If I'm not mistaken, The Richards Group was behind the June Cometh Pony Up campaign. I do not know who was behind the others.

TCU destroys us not only on the field but in their Football marketing as well...sadly.

Their website and twitter are flawless, while ours appear to be run by a bunch of high schoolers (no offense to high school kids)

UNT is doing a better job marketing as well.

And that is not even talking about BU, Texas Tech, OU, Aggy and Bevo marketing in the city...
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:05 am

Big12/FTHP- always talking up TCU at our expense. So eerily similar to each other
East Coast Mustang

Postby PerunaPunch » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:20 am

Big12Mustang wrote:Their website and twitter are flawless, while ours appear to be run by a bunch of high schoolers (no offense to high school kids)

UNT is doing a better job marketing as well.

And that is not even talking about BU, Texas Tech, OU, Aggy and Bevo marketing in the city...

We haven't yet recovered from Orsini firing basically our entire marketing staff. And due to minimal budgets, we have a couple of really good, seasoned professionals on the staff and a bunch of interns. So that combined with small advertising budgets, is why we look a bit bush league. Personally, I'm actually fairly impressed with the recent marketing efforts given what they have to work with. The lights around town, Times Square, etc. have been great.

And as for the positive attitude and crowd support, I don't think you have to look any further than our BB team's home record to understand the importance. We were a couple of fouls away from potentially being undefeated at home this year –- AMAZING!
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby malonish » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:24 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:Big12/FTHP- always talking up TCU at our expense. So eerily similar to each other

Do a search on the boards. They are the only two to use "arse" so there's one more thing. I myself don't mind the guy.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:27 am

Cheerleading Camp starts at 7:30
Pom Pom Squad at 8

There are serious endemic problems in this football program. BTW I predicted SMU exact record in the preseason last year in the preseason and then proceeded to pick all 12 games correctly. I'm a realist-and we are in worse condition next year than we were last year
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Big12Mustang » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:33 am

malonish wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:Big12/FTHP- always talking up TCU at our expense. So eerily similar to each other

Do a search on the boards. They are the only two to use "arse" so there's one more thing. I myself don't mind the guy.

Purely circumstantial evidence. If you have noticed, you cannot say the pure version of "arse" "as-s" in this forum without it being blocked.

Example: [deleted]
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:45 am

malonish wrote:

He posts far too much for how much he actually knows.
East Coast Mustang

Postby alamocitystang » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:36 am

Stallion wrote:Cheerleading Camp starts at 7:30
Pom Pom Squad at 8

There are serious endemic problems in this football program. BTW I predicted SMU exact record in the preseason last year in the preseason and then proceeded to pick all 12 games correctly. I'm a realist-and we are in worse condition next year than we were last year

I guess you predicted the Gilbert injury. You know your prediction benefitted. We beat UCF even if Burcham stays in the game. We destroy them with Gilbert.
alamocitystang
Varsity

Smu Football: Staying Positive

Postby alamocitystang » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:41 am

alamocitystang wrote:
Stallion wrote:Cheerleading Camp starts at 7:30
Pom Pom Squad at 8

I guess you predicted the Gilbert injury. You know your prediction benefitted. We beat UCF even if Burcham stays in the game. We destroy them with Gilbert.

Don't forget that we win at Cincy if the refs don't make a bizarre incorrect call. You predicted what every expert predicted. Not saying recruiting is going well but unless you start predicting injuries and snow storms I think you can can it with the Nostradamus schtick. There are reasons for optimism this year. And that perspective is just as valid as yours. EJ Holland is no longer there to give you your opinion so not sure what you'll do this year.
alamocitystang
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:09 am

Yeah right [deleted] I was the first SMU fan to note that SMU's coaching staff, recruiting coordination, emphasis and effort were ridiculous- a long time before E.J. even appeared as a correspondent for an SMU site. As I've have said many times-this is a problem that started on DAY ONE of the June Jones coaching regime-who he hired, their areas of experience, their ages and their background and lack of any Texas experience- that was somewhat hidden by Klemm and to a lesser extent Jeff Reinbold who despite being a strange man looking for love in Louisiana actually did some recruiting.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:09 pm

To be fair, it's a bit easier to predict the record in the preseason after seeing four games than doing it before the season starts. :)
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby alamocitystang » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:16 pm

Stallion wrote:Yeah right [deleted] I was the first SMU fan to note that SMU's coaching staff, recruiting coordination, emphasis and effort were ridiculous- a long time before E.J. even appeared as a correspondent for an SMU site. As I've have said many times-this is a problem that started on DAY ONE of the June Jones coaching regime-who he hired, their areas of experience, their ages and their background and lack of any Texas experience- that was somewhat hidden by Klemm and to a lesser extent Jeff Reinbold who despite being a strange man looking for love in Louisiana actually did some recruiting.

Then stop giving props to EJ because one way or another, plagiarism transpired.
alamocitystang
Varsity

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:41 pm

Maybe EJ is Stallion's illegitimate son
East Coast Mustang

Postby ojaipony » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:46 pm

Smu_rise wrote:
ojaipony wrote:
Smu_rise wrote: SMU football as we all know is not a top 25 program. Most years, we are not a top 50 program. Why? Well, the simple fact of the matter is that we aren't as good in many aspects of the college football lifestyle. I could comment more on this, but we all know various things wrong with the program.

Huh?

Enlighten us.

First of all, I believe that you can't change things that you can't control. Secondly, a few things that other "elite" schools have that we do not...I think it's pretty self explanatory. Just look around. Go see who is standing on Alabama's sidelines or look at Oklahoma St.'s facilities or Penn St.'s fans. The first thing that I notice is the fact that the fans never sit down. Or, at least they didn't in the games I've been to. That is something that I CAN CONTROL, so that is one way I can try to help our players on the field. You named one 'NEGATIVE' when you said coach Jones wasn't getting it done. But, seeing how you and I are not going to be the ones to change that, we HAVE to support who we do have or we've already lost. - "My responsibility is leadership, and the minute I get negative, that is going to have a negative influence on my team." - Don Shula

I hear you. It's a bit of a chicken and egg thing. I get it. But all we have to look to as an example as to how to make it work here at SMU is the first Moody game (against UConn) though. That was a "big time" college lifestyle type thing (using your words a little bit here). The team hadn't really done anything yet, but it was rocking! Why? Because the coach embraced the community and brought in some talent and won some games and put in work in the recruiting dept and showed the community that he was going "all out" (sorry, I know I know . ..). And then of course SMU marketing got behind it . . . LB also kind of led "the Mob" efforts and "coached them up" . . . finally, of course, then we WON! (if we had gotten blown out like football always does against aTm, BU, etc, Moody would be empty). But this is the kind of stuff Jones could be doing, but doesn't . . . I can't really control that you are right. But that's part of what needs to be done to get to the type of atmosphere/lifestyle you are referencing I think. IMHO. All starts with the HC and how he approaches program building (staff, culture, etc etc).
Last edited by ojaipony on Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ojaipony

PreviousNext

Return to Football