PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Do the SMU coaches think we have a chance against Baylor?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Do the SMU coaches think we have a chance against Baylor

Postby ojaipony » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:50 pm

ponyboy wrote:And the hate parade continues. Sheep much?

Yes. I hate that my alma has been a doormat for 25 years. Sue me.
ojaipony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby JasonB » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:57 pm

- Interesting that folks don't attend any of the Mustang Club or team events, but still manage to bump into coaches. It seems like if you are making a point of bumping into the coaches, you might want to actually attend the events as well.

- For what it is worth, when I talked to Mason and Daniels (who was affiliated with Baylor) at the recruiting event, both indicated that opener is going to be a tough game, but neither of them indicated it was a lost cause by any stretch. If someone affiliated with Baylor isn't saying they are throwing in the towel, I have a hard time believing that other coaches are. Expressing that a game is a challenge because it is a road game against a team playing in a better conference who is opening up a new stadium is completely different story than saying we are going to get killed. I find it very hard to believe a coach said we are going to get killed. If they really said that, I would highly recommend passing word of that through the Mustang Club or something because June needs to be aware.
JasonB

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:12 pm

JasonB wrote:- Interesting that folks don't attend any of the Mustang Club or team events, but still manage to bump into coaches. It seems like if you are making a point of bumping into the coaches, you might want to actually attend the events as well.

- For what it is worth, when I talked to Mason and Daniels (who was affiliated with Baylor) at the recruiting event, both indicated that opener is going to be a tough game, but neither of them indicated it was a lost cause by any stretch. If someone affiliated with Baylor isn't saying they are throwing in the towel, I have a hard time believing that other coaches are. Expressing that a game is a challenge because it is a road game against a team playing in a better conference who is opening up a new stadium is completely different story than saying we are going to get killed. I find it very hard to believe a coach said we are going to get killed. If they really said that, I would highly recommend passing word of that through the Mustang Club or something because June needs to be aware.

You are making an assumption that I have never been to a Mustang Club event and I have. I went to the luncheons when they had them. If you don't believe me fine but he had his excuses ready and the main one being that Baylor wasn't ready for UCF but they will be ready for SMU. He just had his talking points ready in case of a blowout. Kind of like you do when SMU gets beaten.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby jkflamebo » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:20 pm

I really hope we don't get destroyed by UNT
jkflamebo
Hall of Famer

Postby smusic 00 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:46 pm

ojaipony wrote:I'd like to b slap the genius who scheduled this for smu -- we only play them at their home. When are they coming to Ford? (Not that it wouldn't be a slaughter there either).

So tired of being a whipping boy for these [deleted].

Where were you one year ago when we replaced that game with Montana St?
smusic 00

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:53 pm

Yea, they come to Ford next year, then I believe we return to Waco in 2016, and that's the end of the currently scheduled series.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby dr rc » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:45 am

Big12Mustang wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:I was speaking with one of the assistant coaches about the Baylor game recently and it's like he was getting his excuses ready for a big loss. Didn't seem to think SMU even had the foggiest chance to even keep it close let alone possibly pulling an upset. One thing I know is that if the coaches don't think we can win or play a good game against Baylor then the players certainly aren't.

Is June Jones and the coaching staff already rolling over to Baylor? You have to be kidding me, BU is probably the Big 12's most overrated program. [size=200]I am more afraid of TCU than BU come next season.[/size]

dr rc
Varsity

Postby Big12Mustang » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:06 am

jkflamebo wrote:I really hope we don't get destroyed by UNT

Congratulations! You are the winner of the stupidest post of the day!
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:18 am

hasn't SMU lost their last 2 trips to Denton. I'm not going to predict a defeat right now but anyone thinking that is going to be a roll-over doesn't know jack :lol:
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Big12Mustang » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:32 am

Stallion wrote:hasn't SMU lost their last 2 trips to Denton. I'm not going to predict a defeat right now but anyone thinking that is going to be a roll-over doesn't know jack :lol:

Yep. with Forrest Gregg and Phil Bennett. All time series is 28-4.

We will crush UNT with fury.
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:37 am

OK Jack-some of us were actually in attendance
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby alamocitystang » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:45 am

ponyboy wrote:My son is going to Baylor in the Fall. Cannot wait for the game, which happens to be on my birthday.

BEAT BAYLOR

I feel bad for you, but Baylor is on my "you're on your own list" aka "you better get a scholarship and don't expect me to visit" list. This would never happen in my household...
alamocitystang
Varsity

Postby alamocitystang » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:55 am

Big12Mustang wrote:
Stallion wrote:hasn't SMU lost their last 2 trips to Denton. I'm not going to predict a defeat right now but anyone thinking that is going to be a roll-over doesn't know jack :lol:

Yep. with Forrest Gregg and Phil Bennett. All time series is 28-4.

We will crush UNT with fury.

This is a Baylor thread, but since UNT has been brought up, we can assess June as a head coach in this one. We are way more talented. UNTs recruiting has been even more diamond in the rough than ours and we have consistently put together better classes. If June gets out coached again like he did last year against Montana State, we can officially drop him as a bad recruiter and coach. And, IMHO, this game is a must win for June to stay. Granted we don't miraculously win 7 or 8 without winning this game.
alamocitystang
Varsity

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:01 am

If I have a daughter, she's going to Baylor and not SMU. No questions asked.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby AusTxPony » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:07 am

I think we will lose to Baylor (but upsets do happen, that's why we play). North Texas and Cincinnati are our "must win" games and then not stub our toe on the winnable ones in conference for a bowl trip. Good luck next year players and coaches. Hope you have a good season. I'll be there for you.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football