PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Congrats

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Congrats

Postby LAstang33 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:07 pm

Congratulations to Steven Nelson, Troy Castle, and Jordan Miller who all earned full-scholarships for next year.
LAstang33

Re: Congrats

Postby blackoutpony » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:10 pm

LAstang33 wrote:Congratulations to Steven Nelson, Troy Castle, and Jordan Miller who all earned full-scholarships for next year.

Forgive my ignorance, but who?
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby malonish » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:11 pm

Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:13 pm

Congratulations.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Big12Mustang » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:33 pm

So I guess the transfer's ain't coming?
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby PSCA » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:35 pm

Congrats two these three young men ... hard work paying off.
PSCA
All-American

Postby HorseSense » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:55 pm

Disgusting giving whinner boy a scholarship. We certainly put our money to good use.
It makes sense to me.
HorseSense
Varsity

Postby JasonB » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:59 pm

He does less whining than most of the people on the board... I think the scholarship was given based on his work over the last 4 years. Good for him to earn a scholarship; that encourages more kids to walk on in the hopes of getting a scholarship.

It will be interesting to see if we get transfers. We certainly held scholarships hoping to get some, but I think other players leaving the team may have opened up even more scholarships.
JasonB

Postby Lebanese4Life » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:06 am

wow, i forgot about that article. how pathetic of nelson to complain about the crowd. maybe if he was a better player he would've gotten offered a schollie from a Big 12 school or whatever. Loser.
Lebanese4Life
Hall of Famer

Postby HorseSense » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:45 am

JasonB wrote:He does less whining than most of the people on the board... I think the scholarship was given based on his work over the last 4 years. Good for him to earn a scholarship; that encourages more kids to walk on in the hopes of getting a scholarship.

Oh, what we need is a whole team of walk-on level ----wonder how that will work for us? Glad to see we are fully embracing the mediocrity.
It makes sense to me.
HorseSense
Varsity

Postby SMU2007 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:53 am

If you aren't going to bother to use your scholarships on players you've recruited, might as well give them to walk-ons I suppose
SMU2007

Postby mrydel » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:12 am

Glad to see Jordan Miller listed. Made some highlight special teams plays last year.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby PSCA » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:44 am

Wow ... once again a positive post turns into a bashing .... this time of players. Whether you agreed with young Mr Nelson or not, at least he had the guts to step out and speak his mind, and not hide behind a façade like many do. He shared what most of the players felt and I suspect still do, and at that particular time his point had some validity. But, different subject from this post (that has been posted and debated plenty). Then, just the general bashing of walk-ons.

This is about three young men staying the course, following the team rules, working their butts off on the field, in the weight room and class room. So, congratulations to them ... well done. EVERY program has and relies on walk-ons as part of their building process ... EVERY program has walk-ons that become starters or significant contributors (not all) ... EVERY programs awards (not all) walk-ons with scholies. To Jason B's point, for one thing it would discourage sought after players (preferred walk-ons) to come to your program if they thought they had no chance to earn one. Esp, with the cost of a SMU education. I have a close friend who's son earned one his last year at Baylor, an another one that earned one at A&M ... neither of which played any significant amount or had many offers out of HS. As some would point out, zero BCS, low star rating. They were good guys, well liked, examples for all to look at, and team leaders in their own way.

We just can't help but eat our own sometimes. There are plenty of post to spill your hate and displeasure ... this was not one of them .... Good grief.
PSCA
All-American

Postby Big12Mustang » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:08 am

PSCA wrote:Wow ... once again a positive post turns into a bashing .... this time of players. Whether you agreed with young Mr Nelson or not, at least he had the guts to step out and speak his mind, and not hide behind a façade like many do. He shared what most of the players felt and I suspect still do, and at that particular time his point had some validity. But, different subject from this post (that has been posted and debated plenty). Then, just the general bashing of walk-ons.

This is about three young men staying the course, following the team rules, working their butts off on the field, in the weight room and class room. So, congratulations to them ... well done. EVERY program has and relies on walk-ons as part of their building process ... EVERY program has walk-ons that become starters or significant contributors (not all) ... EVERY programs awards (not all) walk-ons with scholies. To Jason B's point, for one thing it would discourage sought after players (preferred walk-ons) to come to your program if they thought they had no chance to earn one. Esp, with the cost of a SMU education. I have a close friend who's son earned one his last year at Baylor, an another one that earned one at A&M ... neither of which played any significant amount or had many offers out of HS. As some would point out, zero BCS, low star rating. They were good guys, well liked, examples for all to look at, and team leaders in their own way.

We just can't help but eat our own sometimes. There are plenty of post to spill your hate and displeasure ... this was not one of them .... Good grief.
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby ClickClack » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:25 am

I remember last year having to look up who #57 was because he made so many great special teams plays. Good for him. He will contribute on special teams again this year.
ClickClack
All-American

Next

Return to Football