PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Waco Parking Information

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Waco Parking Information

Postby BiPolarBear » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:05 am

Since practically all close stadium parking, including on campus lots, have been reserved for season ticket holders here is some information about downtown Waco Parking. The SMU game will be the first College Game played at McLane Stadium and it is a sellout there will be chaos.

McLane Stadium Downtown Shuttle News/Changes (Waco Tribune Herald)

Waco (June 3, 2014) With kickoff at the new McLane Stadium less than 100 days away, transportation experts in Waco are ironing out the final details on a plan to shuttle fans to and from the game.

The Waco Transit Authority met Tuesday to discuss the shuttle schedule for the 2014-2015 year.

The goal is to transport nearly fans to the stadium in 10 minutes starting 2 hours prior to kickoff.

To do that, Waco Transit says it will use 6 to 10 buses, which seat 31 seated passengers and between 55 to 60 standing passengers, to pick up fan at Heritage Square in downtown Waco at the corner of 5th Street and Austin Avenue.

The bus will then travel to Franklin Avenue and across the bridge to Martin Luther King Drive.

Transit official are working with the police and street departments to create a bus only lane on MLK Drive.

Waco Transit says this should allow the buses to navigate the traffic easily in the area surrounding the stadium.

Without the special lane, officials say shuttle travel pre-game can take between 20 to 30 minutes.

Post-game can take up to 40 minutes.

Allen Hunter, assistant general manager for the Waco Transit System says, in prior years a second location, Vitek's Barbeque on Speight Avenue, help two-thirds of shuttle passengers.

This location, officials say, will not be a part of the new route.

However, the city is still willing to work with the owners of the restaurant to see if there is any way to work this location into the equation.

Hunter says, in the past, Vitek's contributed roughly $7,000 toward the shuttle service which is for now free for the public, but could change in the future as officials work out of the details of how city shuttle service to McLane Stadium will run.

Roughly 19,500 fans are expected to park downtown on game days.
Officials say that's a lot of pedestrian traffic and potential shuttle riders.
Extra staff and buses will be on stand-by on game day until all the kinks are worked out.

Officials say, only time and the experience of that first game will set the tone and expectations of what should follow.

They're asking fans to create their own game plan of how they will get to the stadium and exercise patience.
BiPolarBear
Recruit

Re: Waco Parking Information

Postby BiPolarBear » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:17 am

Well if they expect 19500 to park in Downtown and if the stadium holds 45,000 it means 43% of the fans will be parking in Downtown Waco. Even Baylor Fans like myself who do not have season tickets are going to wake up to a new world come August 31. We were so spoiled at Floyd Casey.
BiPolarBear
Recruit

Postby LHS81 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:24 am

BiPolarBear wrote:Well if they expect 19500 to park in Downtown and if the stadium holds 45,000 it means 43% of the fans will be parking in Downtown Waco. Even Baylor Fans like myself who do not have season tickets are going to wake up to a new world come August 31. We were so spoiled at Floyd Casey.

You can borrow my boat. . . As long as you promise to clean it up from the Brazos River $h!t :P :lol:
2015 INDIANAPOLIS OR BUST
LHS81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:24 am

A&M and Tech both handle a helluva a lot more shuttle traffic efficiently-so I don't see why this should be so much different. Bryon Nelson/Colonial no problem. TCU has similar issues especially since its in a neighborhood and pretty well off highways. It shouldn't be a big deal
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby AustinPerson » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:21 am

Do we sell out our ticket allotment? How many tix did SMU get anyways?
AustinPerson
All-American

Postby ojaipony » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:27 am

Love that we are the sacrificial lambs. </sarcasm>.

Not even sure if I want to watch this massacre . . .
ojaipony

Postby WordUpBU » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:53 am

AustinPerson wrote:Do we sell out our ticket allotment? How many tix did SMU get anyways?

Big 12 usually has a visitor allotment of around 4,000. I don't know if it applies to nonconference though.
WordUpBU
All-American

Postby Stallion » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:44 pm

Its been 2,000 recently for TCU, Baylor and also A&M.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby BiPolarBear » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:44 pm

I am only posting this to my SMU friends will know of the changes we all are facing this year.

This just released on 254sports.com.

If available on a game day bases parking in what should have been season parking space will be $20. That will be announced the week of the game based on parking passes purchased by season ticket holders for that week. I personally doubt any will be available for the SMU (sold out) game. Phone number to call the week of the game to check availability is 254-710-1000.
BiPolarBear
Recruit

Postby BiPolarBear » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:53 pm

AustinPerson wrote:Do we sell out our ticket allotment? How many tix did SMU get anyways?

Anyone who wants to go should get with the SMU ticket department and buy your tickets. I recommend the 300 (third level) because it will be under the overhang canopy. This will help during the late summer day sun on Aug 31. The other visitor section is first level Southeast sideline but facing the end-zone. You will bake in the sun over there until the sun gets lower.

I recommend you do it now because at a certain date, late June I think, SMU must return all unsold tickets. Then you will have to buy them through third-party sources like Stubhub or Texas Tickets.
BiPolarBear
Recruit

Postby BiPolarBear » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:59 am

http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/baylor/f ... 61f71.html

For my own vested interest I am following the Parking News very closely. Again just want my guys to know what you might face since this is the first sellout college game at the new stadium.

The nugget I got from this Waco Tribune Herald Article is you can park for free on campus surface parking lots and street parking before the campus is closed to traffic four hours before the game. Thats new info to me.
BiPolarBear
Recruit

Postby BiPolarBear » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:22 am

Downtown Waco planning free parking, ‘block party’ vibe on Baylor game day

http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/baylo....html?mode=jqm

The game day parking picture in Waco is changing daily and for the better. In addition to free surface parking on the Baylor Campus up to 4 hours before the game (when the campus will be closed) there will be free parking at designated downtown lots and the availability of parking at residences north of MLK Blvd.
BiPolarBear
Recruit

Postby lwjr » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:50 am

BiPolarBear, thanks for your continued information and updates on the parking. I was able to tour the stadium in April and it is impressive. I will be there August 31, I am worried about the flow of air into the stadium.
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby smusic 00 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:23 pm

Where is the helicopter pad?
smusic 00

Postby ponyboy » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:42 pm

They're reserving it for helicopter parents only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m coming home
I’m coming home
Tell the World I’m coming home
ponyboy

Next

Return to Football