PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The biggest job at SMU

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: The biggest job at SMU

Postby Grant Carter » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:14 pm

The second sentence of the first paragraph is greatness.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:47 pm

Grant Carter wrote:The second sentence of the first paragraph is greatness.

Yeah.

I'm sure it will become somebody's signature.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PlanoStang » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:29 pm

sbsmith wrote:
smupony94 wrote:http://www.footballscoop.com/news/13814-june-jones-says-the-have-nots-should-start-playing-their-seasons-in-the-spring#.U8lSe4XqEf0.twitter

That is full-blown trolling by June :lol:

More like TROLLING by YOU :!: :!: :!: :!:

R U faculty hating sports or WUT :?: :?:
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:05 pm

Is smupony94 the infamous Spanish lecturer?

Say it ain't so!
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby smupony94 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:04 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:Is smupony94 the infamous Spanish lecturer?

Say it ain't so!
I'm Leigh Steinberg
smupony94

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:06 pm

smupony94 wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:Is smupony94 the infamous Spanish lecturer?

Say it ain't so!
I'm Leigh Steinberg

That explains so much
East Coast Mustang

Postby couch 'em » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:01 pm

I don't think he is 100% wrong - moving out from underneath the top conferences to change from "second tier" to "other league" could be a strategy to hold some credibility and not become just the next division 2.

Unfortunately it is wholly impractical and addresses few of they WHY of being 2nd tier.
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:35 pm

If June intended this as a warning shot to the P5 conferences then it might not have been the worst idea. For better or worse, P5 teams need to fill up their schedules and beat up on G5 and FCS teams in order to pad their records and create an illusion of success- even if making a bowl entails going 6-6 and beating up on a bunch of Sun Belt/CUSA/AAC/MWC schools. And while we're not a powerhouse, we certainly generate a lot more attention as an opponent for a P5 school than does Lamar, Incarnate Wood, etc.

If the G5 schools took their ball and went to the spring, who would the P5 schools schedule? If they play a 10 game conference schedule then you're going to have a lot of 4-8 and 5-7 teams that would have otherwise been bowl eligible under the current setup. If they play no-name FCS schools TV ratings and attendance are going to be in the toilet. Remember, when the SEC decided to stay at eight conference games they had to force member schools to schedule just one P5 team as part of their 4-game OOC slate starting in '15 (I think). Who would the other three games be against? They'd much rather schedule us, Houston, USF, East Carolina than two more FCS schools like William & Mary or Elon.

June may be lazy, but he's not an idiot.
East Coast Mustang

Postby sbsmith » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:45 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:If June intended this as a warning shot to the P5 conferences then it might not have been the worst idea. For better or worse, P5 teams need to fill up their schedules and beat up on G5 and FCS teams in order to pad their records and create an illusion of success- even if making a bowl entails going 6-6 and beating up on a bunch of Sun Belt/CUSA/AAC/MWC schools. And while we're not a powerhouse, we certainly generate a lot more attention as an opponent for a P5 school than does Lamar, Incarnate Wood, etc.

If the G5 schools took their ball and went to the spring, who would the P5 schools schedule? If they play a 10 game conference schedule then you're going to have a lot of 4-8 and 5-7 teams that would have otherwise been bowl eligible under the current setup. If they play no-name FCS schools TV ratings and attendance are going to be in the toilet. Remember, when the SEC decided to stay at eight conference games they had to force member schools to schedule just one P5 team as part of their 4-game OOC slate starting in '15 (I think). Who would the other three games be against? They'd much rather schedule us, Houston, USF, East Carolina than two more FCS schools like William & Mary or Elon.

June may be lazy, but he's not an idiot.

They'd schedule more FCS teams in a pinch and it would be nothing more a minor inconvenience for them. Eventually fans would deal because they're not going to bail on their teams just because games against ECU and UAB fell off the schedule. If the G5 wants to do something as stupid as playing spring ball (which will devastate their already poor talent level) then the P5 will stand by and let them go over that cliff alone.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby Smu_rise » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:56 pm

I'm going to cut Burcham a break. The kid came in off the bench after not playing for a little over two years. He improved his completion percentage of 52% in his first start to 70% in his second start. Great sign of improvement to come IMO. Also, if anyone has seen coach Jones's practices, you know that they provide little or no "game speed" experience. The biggest concern of mine is OL. NO offense can succeed when they have 2-3 seconds to throw every single down or if they can only gain 4 yards on a HB draw. Hence why Garrett Gilbert became a "dual threat" QB with his time at SMU.
>Stay positive< >Refuse to lose<
Smu_rise
Recruit

Previous

Return to Football