PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The biggest job at SMU

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

The biggest job at SMU

Postby ponyfan777 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:20 am

The biggest job at SMU this year for June Jones just might be who's our starting QB. Who do you think gets the QB job and why?

Go Ponies~
DeanO~
ponyfan777
Varsity

Re: The biggest job at SMU

Postby Big12Mustang » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:42 am

Matt Davis. Kid is a beast. Neal did not impress me at all..
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby JoeKidd » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:03 am

Didn't see Davis play, but this offense is all about accuracy...I think NB gets the edge having been in the program for a couple of years. Would have liked to see how he could have finished the UCF game.
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Postby AusTxPony » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:59 am

I know it isn't JJs style, but I see Burcham starting, and using Davis inside the Ten and on third and short, Pistol formation.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby ojaipony » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:01 am

The ultimate problem is with this perceived notion that the offense is so complicated it takes 2 years to learn. Burcham was very disappointing, but he's young and learning (needs to get his "Elite 11" swagger back). Matt Davis is supposed to be athletically gifted but, again, he's new to the system and the personnel. If Davis was here during the Spring, I'd say he'd having the starting edge if reports were positive and he was getting after it on 7 on 7 during the summer. Speaking of 7 on 7, when do the guys start that? Anyone reporting on it yet? It seems GG and JJ (and DJ) built some great rapport doing that last summer that paid off, statistically at least, during the season.

Again, if JJ knew how to use both, they both should play in certain game time situations.
ojaipony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUguy » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:41 am

Burcham was disappointing? He has played less than 3 games while Gilbert got almost all the snaps in practice for 2 years. Who knows what he'll become, but the sample size is way too small to write him off. (I'm not saying you are. Just saying we can't form a fair opinion yet.

JJ's quarterbacks always have done better in their second year, so maybe there's some validity to the idea that the offense takes some time. Players can learn the Xs and Os, but it takes a while to make everything second-nature, right? Garrett Gilbert was vastly better in his second year. Colt Brennan was better in his second year. Timmy Chang's numbers went down in his second year because injuries limited him to 3 games, but in his second full year, he was better. So there's something to it.

As for who starts, I don't know. If Davis is as good as advertised, it might be hard to keep him off the field, but he'll only have a month working with the coaches before Baylor. Burcham hasn't played a ton, but at least he has been in meetings, in film, working with the coaches, etc.

Coin toss at this point.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby Junior » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:48 pm

i guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby ojaipony » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:55 pm

SMUguy wrote:Burcham was disappointing? He has played less than 3 games while Gilbert got almost all the snaps in practice for 2 years. Who knows what he'll become, but the sample size is way too small to write him off. (I'm not saying you are. Just saying we can't form a fair opinion yet.

Thanks for the caveat. Yes, I'm not writing him off. Just going on him being here in the system for a year plus and then playing one of the worst games I've ever seen a QB play against a team I despise (Houston). We've seen HS walk on QBs light us up, so it's no excuse that he couldn't have played much better than he did. IMHO, he needs to gain at least 20 pounds of muscle and be a stronger leader before I have any confidence in him (and I was a big fan and am still pulling for him).
ojaipony

Postby Glenn Sosbee » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:15 pm

Matt Davis if healthy. Give me any SEC QB that transfers here.
Pony P-1
Glenn Sosbee
All-American

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:24 pm

burcham looked bad against UH but much better against UCF until injury.

If Matt Davis is the second coming of RGIII, why didn't he start all of the games at QB at his JUCO last year? Was he hurt? Not a rhetorical question- I'm curious.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby mustang1108 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:10 pm

Is anyone else starting to get kind of confused with what direction June is going to go in when it comes to his QB's? And no I do not expect anything too drastic. However, when you look at who the qb battle is between, its Burcham a pro-style qb and Davis who is more of a dual-threat qb. Then looking at our two qb commits coming in Jordan Severt from Westlake who is a pro-style qb and Houston Lamar's, Darrel Colbert is a dual threat guy. I don't remember June recruiting a single dual threat qb when I was in school. Does anyone else think that June might be trying to start evolving his offense a little looking at the top offenses in college football these days?
mustang1108
Varsity

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:15 pm

^ Could be, mustang1108. I'll be interested to see if he keeps any of Mumme's principles that he integrated into the offense last year, too.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby ghost » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:17 pm

The biggest job for June Jones at SMU is to do his job! He needs to hire great, aggressive coaches and recruit and coach like they were 30 and their jobs were on the line! QB is the least of their problems. We don't need a bunch of middle-aged guys with their feet kicked back on their desks checking in at 8 and leaving early for tee times. They need to be out in the community and TX high school coaches offices, clinics,track meets, summer track meets, charity events...everywhere to show they are committed to being the best they can be.
ghost
All-American

Postby PonySnob » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:19 pm

SMUguy wrote:Burcham was disappointing? He has played less than 3 games while Gilbert got almost all the snaps in practice for 2 years. Who knows what he'll become, but the sample size is way too small to write him off. (I'm not saying you are. Just saying we can't form a fair opinion yet.

JJ's quarterbacks always have done better in their second year, so maybe there's some validity to the idea that the offense takes some time. Players can learn the Xs and Os, but it takes a while to make everything second-nature, right? Garrett Gilbert was vastly better in his second year. Colt Brennan was better in his second year. Timmy Chang's numbers went down in his second year because injuries limited him to 3 games, but in his second full year, he was better. So there's something to it.

As for who starts, I don't know. If Davis is as good as advertised, it might be hard to keep him off the field, but he'll only have a month working with the coaches before Baylor. Burcham hasn't played a ton, but at least he has been in meetings, in film, working with the coaches, etc.

Coin toss at this point.

JJ had no problem writing off an experienced D-1 QB for a true freshman with even less experience in the system than Burcham has who if memory serves me correct played in a run first offense in high school...............
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby leopold » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:50 pm

The one position on the field I absolutely trust JJ is the QB. He has shown he can consistently do more with less with that position, taking kids who either weren't recruited by anybody or others who burned out elsewhere and turn them into darkhorse NFL candidates. I'm more worried about our D-Line and LB's.
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Football