PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The biggest job at SMU

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: The biggest job at SMU

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:06 pm

leopold- DL and LBs are the two positions I'm not worried about at all. We return all 3 starting DL plus Minor who is a real talent.

At LB, we return Sanders, Yenga, and Seals and brought Nwosu in from Rice. On defense, my biggest concern is by far the secondary
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

The biggest job at SMU

Postby WordUpBU » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:18 pm

I think JJ will get your QB serviceable at worst. To me the biggest question mark is the O Line.

Your defensive front 7 and skill players on offense don't make me worry if I was an SMU fan. I really like what Nwosu did at Rice and the young guys you have at linebacker to complement Sanders. You at worst have 5 solid guys at the Lb spots with Sanders, Nwosu, Yenga, Seals, Horton, and possibly the TJC kid.

DL isn't as strong as Margus, Marquis, Thompson, and Pittman but should be ok with the starters having several offseasons to grow stronger and the younger guys finally developed enough.
Last edited by WordUpBU on Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WordUpBU
All-American

Postby leopold » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:25 pm

The defensive front seven got pushed around an awful lot last year - I'm hopeful that's just growing pains.
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:54 pm

WordUpBU wrote:I think JJ will get your QB serviceable at worst. To me the biggest question mark is the O Line.

Your defensive front 7 and skill players on offense don't make me worry if I was an SMU fan. I really like what Nwosu did at Rice and the young guys you have at linebacker to complement Sanders. You at worst have 5 solid guys at the Lb spots with Sanders, Nwosu, Yenga, Seals, Horton, and possibly the TJC kid.

DL isn't as strong as Margus, Marquis, Thompson, and Pittman but should be ok with the starters having several offseasons to grow stronger and the younger guys finally developed enough.

I would consider that a very good post.

BTW, I really think we're underestimating Burcham.
ponyboy

Postby dirtysouthpony » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:31 pm

Why can't we use them both? Use Davis in a short yardage package with Hipps and Gaines as the receivers. If Burcham has the hot hand, and is leading us down the field, then leave him in, but we have got to get better in short yardage. Period.
dirtysouthpony
Varsity

Postby sbsmith » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:56 pm

dirtysouthpony wrote:Why can't we use them both? Use Davis in a short yardage package with Hipps and Gaines as the receivers. If Burcham has the hot hand, and is leading us down the field, then leave him in, but we have got to get better in short yardage. Period.

You do remember who our coach is right? Something like that is way too progressive for June.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby PlanoStang » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:18 pm

sbsmith wrote:
dirtysouthpony wrote:Why can't we use them both? Use Davis in a short yardage package with Hipps and Gaines as the receivers. If Burcham has the hot hand, and is leading us down the field, then leave him in, but we have got to get better in short yardage. Period.

You do remember who our coach is right? Something like that is way too progressive for June.

He did give GG QB draws, or just scrambling on his own in short yardage situations :!:

Why don't you go back to mean tweeting Plowboys. :lol:
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Treadway21 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:27 pm

ojaipony wrote:
SMUguy wrote:Burcham was disappointing? He has played less than 3 games while Gilbert got almost all the snaps in practice for 2 years. Who knows what he'll become, but the sample size is way too small to write him off. (I'm not saying you are. Just saying we can't form a fair opinion yet.

Thanks for the caveat. Yes, I'm not writing him off. Just going on him being here in the system for a year plus and then playing one of the worst games I've ever seen a QB play against a team I despise (Houston). We've seen HS walk on QBs light us up, so it's no excuse that he couldn't have played much better than he did. IMHO, he needs to gain at least 20 pounds of muscle and be a stronger leader before I have any confidence in him (and I was a big fan and am still pulling for him).

He wasn't playing against our defense.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby sbsmith » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:11 pm

PlanoStang wrote: He did give GG QB draws, or just scrambling on his own in short yardage situations :!:

So what, that doesn't mean he's going to start alternating QBs. Did you even read the post I responded to :lol:
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby Webmaster » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:48 am

ojaipony wrote:Speaking of 7 on 7, when do the guys start that? Anyone reporting on it yet?

Starts tomorrow evening. We'll be there and Pride will provide practice reports as always.
"Rhett Lashlee not only has the top G5 transfer class, it’s one of the best classes in the country, period.”
–– Chris Vannini, The Athletic

Thanks for supporting PonyFans.com. If you have any problems or concerns, please e-mail us at webmaster@ponyfans.com
Webmaster
Heisman

Postby StallionsModelT » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:53 am

Awesome. Thanks for the update Webmaster.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby ojaipony » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:33 pm

Webmaster wrote:
ojaipony wrote:Speaking of 7 on 7, when do the guys start that? Anyone reporting on it yet?

Starts tomorrow evening. We'll be there and Pride will provide practice reports as always.

Thank you!!
ojaipony

Postby smupony94 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:41 pm

smupony94

Postby sbsmith » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:49 pm

smupony94 wrote:http://www.footballscoop.com/news/13814-june-jones-says-the-have-nots-should-start-playing-their-seasons-in-the-spring#.U8lSe4XqEf0.twitter

That is full-blown trolling by June :lol:

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:57 pm

smupony94 wrote:http://www.footballscoop.com/news/13814-june-jones-says-the-have-nots-should-start-playing-their-seasons-in-the-spring#.U8lSe4XqEf0.twitter

Wow. I guess you can consider that thinking out of the box, or something.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football