PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2016 Cowboys Classic: Alabama vs. USC

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

2016 Cowboys Classic: Alabama vs. USC

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:11 am

http://www.usctrojans.com/blog/2014/07/ ... -2016.html

Should be a lot of hot girls in Dallas that weekend.

To piggyback off of the Big 12 recruiting thread that Stallion started, this is yet another example of power conference teams outside the state (and two of the most storied in all of CFB) establishing a presence in Texas. I know they're playing a game at Jerryworld this year against UCLA, but I'm surprised Texas doesn't try and get in that Cowboys Classic game to limit the exposure that other teams get right in their own backyard.

I'll reiterate what I've said before- we need to stop playing Big 12 teams (who want nothing to do with us ever in their conference) besides TCU who is our traditional rival and schedule lower and mid-tier P5 teams that would still travel well and want to come to Texas: Ole Miss, Miss. State, Vandy, Northwestern, Mizzou, Iowa, Cal, etc.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: 2016 Cowboys Classic: Alabama vs. USC

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:19 am

Think that game will sellout?
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:22 am

LA_Mustang wrote:Think that game will sellout?

Haha, without question. The 2016 game that I'm curious about selling out is that Tennessee-Virginia Tech game at Bristol Motor Speedway which they're saying could hold as many as 160,000 :shock:
East Coast Mustang

Postby Stallion » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:35 am

Again SMU playing national powerhouses in Dallas doesn't work because:

a) Ford is too small-without enough quality seating-read revenue potential
b) SMU as either home team or as the opponent won't attract a large attendance at JerryWorld EVEN if we were willing to play there
c) SMU at Ford can't compete with the money the same opponent can make by playing in JerryWorld
d) SMU fans will not show up in numbers to play say a UCLA, Wisconsin, North Carolina etc. to make up for the loss of the attendance from TCU, Baylor, Tech and A&M. The National Powerhouses aren't interested in playing non BCS SMU
e) The promoters and television networks won't fund a matchup with SMU on national stage when they can instead get another national powerhouse-See the 20 other JerryWorld matchups

Looks good until you get out the calculators. Playing Tech, A&M, TCU and Baylor is not the problem-the problem is that we don't have a team that can stay within 3 TDs of those programs
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:41 am

Stallion wrote:Again SMU playing national powerhouses in Dallas doesn't work because:

b) SMU as either home team or as the opponent won't attract a large attendance at JerryWorld EVEN if we were willing to play there
c) SMU at Ford can't compete with the money the same opponent can make by playing in JerryWorld
d) SMU fans will not show up in numbers to play say a UCLA, Wisconsin, North Carolina etc. to make up for the loss of the attendance from TCU, Baylor, Tech and A&M. The National Powerhouses aren't interested in playing non BCS SMU
e) The promoters and television networks won't fund a matchup with SMU on national stage when they can instead get another national powerhouse-See the 20 other JerryWorld matchups

Looks good until you get out the calculators. Playing Tech, A&M, TCU and Baylor is not the problem-the problem is that we don't have a team that can stay within 3 TDs of those programs

I wasn't proposing we schedule those teams at Jerryworld, I meant at Ford. I think we could make a home-and-home with a program like Ole Miss, Vandy or Miss. State work and be beneficial for both sides. Most of the teams I mentioned I picked for a reason- they aren't getting games at Jerryworld either. Jerry isn't going to have Ole miss or Miss St. playing in the Cowboys Classic when he can get Alabama every other year, or Auburn, or LSU, or Florida who all will bring more demand for tickets + more eyeballs on TV. Those teams would still like to have a game in the Metroplex for recruiting and exposure purposes, though
East Coast Mustang

Postby Stallion » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:52 am

We've played Vandy numerous times in Dallas and never drew jack. Ole Miss-maybe Missouri or Kansas-OK- call them and see if you get a return call. We've played Ole Miss and Missouri in Dallas-attendance was OK but not remarkable. Arkansas dropped the SMU series because they need home games for Little Rock and Fayetteville. I'm telling you that although Dallas is attractive-the days when SMU can get a BCS program to travel across the country to play in Ford are pretty much over. BCS programs are going to play their non-conference games at home. SMU can't earn enough off those teams in a small stadium to entice them to pay to travel to Dallas. Plus by playing in Dallas the BCS school loses control of TV revenue which is enormous. The facts simply don't bear out that schools from across the country will draw well in Dallas
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby sbsmith » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:16 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:Those teams would still like to have a game in the Metroplex for recruiting and exposure purposes, though

If true they'd call TCU not us.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:19 pm

sbsmith wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:Those teams would still like to have a game in the Metroplex for recruiting and exposure purposes, though

If true they'd call TCU not us.

I realize you're just a negative [deleted] 24/7, but TCU only has three OOC games and they usually schedule us and an FCS team for two of those three. So it's not like their OOC schedule is wide open or anything.
East Coast Mustang

Postby WordUpBU » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:32 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:
Stallion wrote:Again SMU playing national powerhouses in Dallas doesn't work because:

I wasn't proposing we schedule those teams at Jerryworld, I meant at Ford. I think we could make a home-and-home with a program like Ole Miss, Vandy or Miss. State work and be beneficial for both sides. Most of the teams I mentioned I picked for a reason- they aren't getting games at Jerryworld either. Jerry isn't going to have Ole miss or Miss St. playing in the Cowboys Classic when he can get Alabama every other year, or Auburn, or LSU, or Florida who all will bring more demand for tickets + more eyeballs on TV. Those teams would still like to have a game in the Metroplex for recruiting and exposure purposes, though

If you could make the money work vs them potentially buying a MAC or Sun Belt home game it would be good to do. It's just a question of how much each number adds up to.

Also SMU has taken on an incredibly difficult non-con schedule recently and doesn't appear to be dropping TCU anytime soon. At some point scheduling only 1-2 tough games instead of 3-4 has to be considered to help spur on better W/L records to boost turnout and hopefully recruiting.
WordUpBU
All-American

Postby sbsmith » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:49 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:I realize you're just a negative [deleted] 24/7, but TCU only has three OOC games and they usually schedule us and an FCS team for two of those three. So it's not like their OOC schedule is wide open or anything.

Maybe but they'd still call them before us. Fact is if a team wants exposure in this area they have several options available that have nothing to do with us.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:14 pm

sbsmith wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:I realize you're just a negative [deleted] 24/7, but TCU only has three OOC games and they usually schedule us and an FCS team for two of those three. So it's not like their OOC schedule is wide open or anything.

Maybe but they'd still call them before us. Fact is if a team wants exposure in this area they have several options available that have nothing to do with us.

If you're not an elite program you're probably not playing at Jerryworld anymore. Gone are the days of a TCU-Oregon State Cowboys Classic.
East Coast Mustang

Postby Stallion » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:16 pm

I guess you missed TCU v LSU. As long as TCU fans show up in substantial numbers for an 80,000 attendance payday they'll probably be back
Last edited by Stallion on Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stallion

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:18 pm

Stallion wrote:I guess you missed TCU v LSU

Future games
August 30, 2014: Florida State Seminoles vs Oklahoma State Cowboys [6]
September 5, 2015: Alabama Crimson Tide vs Wisconsin Badgers [7]
September 3, 2016: USC Trojans vs. Alabama Crimson Tide [8]
September 2, 2017: Michigan Wolverines vs Florida Gators [9]

Also, LSU is a marquee program. Neither TCU nor Oregon State were marquee programs
East Coast Mustang

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:23 pm

Also, I don't know how much sway they have in the selection process, but I'd imagine Arlington, Dallas, and the surrounding municipalities prefer two programs from farther away to boost hotel revenues.
East Coast Mustang

Postby Pony ^ » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:06 am

FYI, that same day will also have Notre Dame @ Texas and UCLA @ aggy. We will probably be playing the likes of Montana Tech
Pony ^

Next

Return to Football