PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Greetings from the Mean Green

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Greetings from the Mean Green

Postby Stallion » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:30 pm

Trivia: When is the last time SMU won a game in Denton?
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:55 pm

Stallion wrote:Trivia: When is the last time SMU won a game in Denton?

Never I dont think- we've only played there twice though, right?
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Stallion » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:15 pm

Correct

I believe though we actually might be 0-3 on the Road-not sure

In 1977, they beat us 28-13 in Texas Stadium. NTSU played about half their games at Texas Stadium that year and I think that might have been a NTSU home game or neutral site game on both teams home schedule. SMU played their games at the Cotton Bowl in 1977. They had more fans than we did. That was a great NTSU team with Joe Washington's brother Kenny Washington playing QB. He was outstanding. They went 9-2 losing only to Florida St. and Miss. St. They kicked our [deleted] worse than score showed
Last edited by Stallion on Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby CenTXpony » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:29 pm

MeanGreen90 wrote:Na, you aren't our superbowl, just a non-conference local opponent with whom we battle for the same recruits with and play for the next 12 years (too long of a series, if you ask me).

Don't know where you get that I think you are our Superbowl? If its because I said we will bring 10k to your place if we have a bowl team this year, realize that has very little to do with you and much more to do with the fact that we have a rear end load of alumni in Dallas. 39k worth for an 11AM game in the HOD bowl. UNLV brought the other 500.

Last year started to wake up a few alums. We need to continue to be a bowl team this year to further those raised eyebrows. If we do, we will have more fans at Ford than SMU. It's just a matter of demographics.

Personally, I see you guys as an interesting game and a barometer for both teams to figure out where they are after butt stompings by Big 12 powers in week one.

The fact that some of you think you will automatically beat us by 2 TDs doesn't reflect well on your mortgaged educations. This will be a very close game. Glad we get you at home first in this series.

I think it had more to do with the fact that you're wetting your pants in excitement over playing us rather than just the part about bringing 10k to Ford....
CenTXpony
Heisman

Postby East Coast Mustang » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:37 pm

Wait, being preppy and rich is a bad thing? Am I supposed to feel insulted?
East Coast Mustang

Postby CenTXpony » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:03 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:Wait, being preppy and rich is a bad thing? Am I supposed to feel insulted?

MG isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.... but he definitely has the tool part down.
CenTXpony
Heisman

Postby MeanGreen90 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:16 pm

CenTXpony wrote:
MeanGreen90 wrote:Na, you aren't our superbowl, just a non-conference local opponent with whom we battle for the same recruits with and play for the next 12 years (too long of a series, if you ask me).

Don't know where you get that I think you are our Superbowl? If its because I said we will bring 10k to your place if we have a bowl team this year, realize that has very little to do with you and much more to do with the fact that we have a rear end load of alumni in Dallas. 39k worth for an 11AM game in the HOD bowl. UNLV brought the other 500.

Last year started to wake up a few alums. We need to continue to be a bowl team this year to further those raised eyebrows. If we do, we will have more fans at Ford than SMU. It's just a matter of demographics.

Personally, I see you guys as an interesting game and a barometer for both teams to figure out where they are after butt stompings by Big 12 powers in week one.

The fact that some of you think you will automatically beat us by 2 TDs doesn't reflect well on your mortgaged educations. This will be a very close game. Glad we get you at home first in this series.

I think it had more to do with the fact that you're wetting your pants in excitement over playing us rather than just the part about bringing 10k to Ford....

By "you" I assume you are referring the whole UNT fan base and not just I, correct?

Because I think this should be at most a 4 year series and I think we are doing you a HUGE favor by giving you a bump in attendance one game every other year. The only thing we get out of it is a little increase in local media publicity. Frankly, I'd much rather this home and home series be with Houston. By the admissions made on this very board, y'all aint bringing much to Denton. Hell, from your crowds last year, you could bring your entire home attendance to Denton, and it still wouldn't be much.

But if you meant our fan base, you have a point. For some reason, many see SMU as the Evil Empire (a title that should be reserved for many past UNT administrations) and love to bring up the Dennis Simon "we will play them in a Safeway parking lot" moment. It's irrational hatred of a false rival. Maybe if we beat y'all a couple of times in a row to start the series there will actually be a rivalry. There isn't at this point, except in the misguided minds of some (ok, maybe a lot) of our fans. Never understood why they hated SMU but were OK with TCU.
MeanGreen90
Recruit

Postby MeanGreen90 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:19 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:Wait, being preppy and rich is a bad thing? Am I supposed to feel insulted?

Maybe you should reread. Don't think I called you rich... At all...
MeanGreen90
Recruit

Postby East Coast Mustang » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:32 pm

Talk all the [deleted] you want. UNT is a crap school that almost no one outside of Texas has ever heard of.

Also, you better hope the SMU program takes off in the coming years because that's your only hope of ever improving your conference affiliation. We'll block you from ever getting into the American or whichever conference we're in, but you can keep tagging along one step behind us. I remember when we were in C-USA- that was cute.
East Coast Mustang

Postby sbsmith » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:28 pm

CenTXpony wrote:

Can you blame him, we're their Super Bowl after all :lol:
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby smupony94 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:54 pm

sbsmith wrote:
CenTXpony wrote:

Can you blame him, we're their Super Bowl after all :lol:
now you know how TCU feels about us
smupony94

Postby sbsmith » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:01 pm

smupony94 wrote:

I've known that for years, not sure what they even get out of playing us.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby smupony94 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:11 pm

sbsmith wrote:
smupony94 wrote:

I've known that for years, not sure what they even get out of playing us.
at least we can say their basketball coach was [deleted] to play us this year and Larry obliged. Our football has stunk yet we always played them.
smupony94

Postby East Coast Mustang » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:16 pm

It was nice of Larry to give TCU a one year reprieve from the beatdowns. Although I'm proud we play them every year in football- no man runs away from a fight!
East Coast Mustang

Postby smupony94 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:18 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:It was nice of Larry to give TCU a one year reprieve from the beatdowns. Although I'm proud we play them every year in football- no man runs away from a fight!
my Texas friends are giving their TCU friends grief about this
smupony94

PreviousNext

Return to Football