PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

McClane Stadium Design

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

McClane Stadium Design

Postby Topper » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:19 pm

I think the new stadium in Waco is situated in a great spot and from all appearances it will be a comfortable place to watch a game. But I'm interested to know if anyone out there who knows about architecture agrees with me that the exterior facade of the place looks a little bit dated? I don't know enough about the subject to articulate my impressions of the look of the place, but I get the feeling that I'm looking at a not very creative design for a municipal building or library circa 1955 or thereabouts.

I do very much like the soccer stadium style cover over the bleachers.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Re: McClane Stadium Design

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:33 pm

It's probably pretty revolutionary design for Waco

With that said, I'm looking forward to checking out the new stadium next month
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby couch 'em » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:19 am

I understand exactly what you are talking about. When I first drove by it I thought it felt like a new metal sunshade structure built around a 1950s building. I like it though - looks classic. Here's what the architecture firm says about it:
http://populous.com/project/mclane-stadium-at-baylor-university/

CHALLENGE. When Populous designers began work on McLane Stadium, they realized this was a once in a lifetime opportunity for the university to bring football back to campus in a way that would forever change the face of the university. After playing off-campus at Floyd Casey Stadium for more than 60 years, Baylor University announced in Spring of 2012 plans to open a new, on-campus stadium. Scheduled to open for the 2014 football season and situated adjacent to I-35 and the Brazos River, the new McLane Stadium needed to serve as the front door of the university as it would be visible to the 43 million people who pass by on I-35 each year. The $250 million facility had to visually and physically represent Baylor’s campus, melding with the existing architecture on campus to create a building that could only be home to the Baylor Bears.

The design team for Baylor was challenged to infuse the experiences of campus into the design of the stadium in order to capture the spirit and characteristic traits that make the Baylor campus unique.  The resulting stadium encompasses the university’s short and long-term goals, seamlessly integrating the stadium on campus and within the city of Waco while creating a great fan experience for Baylor football.

INNOVATION. The stadium’s location on campus and the traditions of the university’s football program were the driving force behind the design process for the Populous collegiate stadium architects. The location on the Brazos River will provide unique tailgating opportunities and is expected to attract visitors year round with an outdoor amphitheater and walking path that links to the city’s pedestrian trails.  The university’s heritage, coupled with research on the fan base and a unique blend of revenue generation, resulted in a collegiate stadium design that is distinctly representative of the university and is as viable as it is visually appealing. With support from the city of Waco, who recognized the significant impact on revenue and traffic the stadium would have on its downtown, the stadium capitalizes on the specific needs of the university and site positioning of the new stadium. From loge boxes to club seating to a prominent place for the Baylor Line, this strategic approach will result in a venue that shapes the fan experience for each and every person who enters the stadium while elevating the university’s brand on a national level. The resulting stadium will be one of the most beautiful in collegiate football, tying together a campus and a city.

IMPACT. When McLane Stadium opens in the fall of 2014, it will help revitalize downtown Waco, help spur development along the Brazos Riverfront, attract visitors to Baylor’s campus and create a cohesive and unique experience for fans. The stadium will connect a region, a city and a campus around the traditions, culture and passion of Baylor’s football program.
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby Pony ^ » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:32 am

The exterior of that stadium looks incredibly ugly. I would guess it was built in the 70's or 80's if I didn't know anything about it. They could have made it really cool as it is on the muddy river.
Pony ^

Postby CenTXpony » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:34 am

It looks like the lid of a toilet from above.... from the inside it seems to look amazing but from the outside it looks a little goofy to me... especially with the tall skinny columns....
CenTXpony
Heisman

Postby AustinPerson » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:07 am

I was thinking what an odd-looking exterior as I drove through Waco the other day to eat excellent BBQ at Tony D'Maria's on the north side of Waco.

They really missed a good opportunity to make an "attractive-looking" stadium like TCU did. UNT and Baylor will regret the looks of their stadiums in about…two years.
AustinPerson
All-American

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:20 pm

The arial renderings are fantastic, bridge, boat dock, sunshades, etc. The campus will enjoy a great peek-a-boo view from across the water. However the other side, ie facade is heinous. It almost seems like they wanted to encapsulate the pillars but cheaped out and said screw it no one will ever notice.

Albeit tiny in the college football world to those with big-boy pants on, for my money Ford Stadium is where it's at.
HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:29 pm

Its really a shame. Very big missed opportunity I thought early on I would love it - since the location is fantastic and the way it opens to the campus is great.

However they must have needed to cut some money out, because the brick is awful - very monotone facing the highway. The worst thing is the columns - ridiculous, out of scale and very cheap looking.

It ended up looking like a toilet bowl lid being help up by cheap plastic straws.

And does anyone else think the way they did those giant McLean letters on top looks crazy tacky? Cant imagine the donor would want that since i think it makes him look like an egoist. Very Baptisty.
gostangs

Postby Pony ^ » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:28 pm

gostangs wrote: And does anyone else think the way they did those giant McLean letters on top looks crazy tacky? Cant imagine the donor would want that since i think it makes him look like an egoist. Very Baptisty.

This. Even the letters look cheap.
Pony ^

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:45 pm

gostangs wrote:And does anyone else think the way they did those giant McLean letters on top looks crazy tacky?

Well, very approprate for the man.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Topper » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:59 pm

Topper wrote:I think the new stadium in Waco is situated in a great spot and from all appearances it will be a comfortable place to watch a game. But I'm interested to know if anyone out there who knows about architecture agrees with me that the exterior facade of the place looks a little bit dated? I don't know enough about the subject to articulate my impressions of the look of the place, but I get the feeling that I'm looking at a not very creative design for a municipal building or library circa 1955 or thereabouts.

I do very much like the soccer stadium style cover over the bleachers.

Now it dawns on me: The facade looks like something built on a Junior College campus from the 1960s.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:10 pm

I agree the outside façade leaves a little bit to be desired-but I love the new photographs I've seen of the interior-very nice. It will have a familiar feel as the astroturf design seems identical to the old stadium.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby PlanoStang » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:38 pm

Saw it from the north going south in April. Looked like a re do of Texas Stadium. Not much
outside facace going on then.

Coming back up a few days later saw some façade on the south side, but didn't look like
anything special :?: :?: :?:
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:16 pm

I think the new stadium looks great. ONly thing that matters is TV appearance, and it will look good on TV. I think they did a good job
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:10 pm

They just stole a 5-star OT from A&M.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Next

Return to Football