PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

June Jones says the "have-nots" should play in Spring

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: June Jones says the "have-nots" should play in Spring

Postby JoeKidd » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:18 am

I agree with Mexmustang and heard June's remarks this way: Let's force the Power 5's hand and see how well they fare if more than half of the D1 schools are in another conference. The reporter that wrote the article obviously got it by referencing June's ties to the USFL.

Anyway, the whole state of the NCAA and Power 5 Autonomy is going to be a cluster one way or another when it breaks apart.
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Postby SMUer » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:32 am

Excuses, excuses, excuses
SMUer
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby BUS » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:43 am

June waxes philosophically.
Just get off the smoke and work to beat these guys. Recruit, plan, coach, teach but quit being lazy.
We are a top academic school with very nice facilities. You Mr. Jones are paid to produce victories against all that you schedule.

Get to it or renounce your position and let someone like Mr. Mason take over. He wants to get with it.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby sbsmith » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:49 am

PonyKris89 wrote:Well MexMustang, if what he meant was lets not play the P5 anymore and see what happens to them, then why didn't he just say it?

What would happen is that the G5 would effectively commit mass suicide and the P5 would backfill their schedules with FCS teams/extra conference games and would continue making ridiculous amounts of money.

#cuttingoffyournosetospiteyourface
Last edited by sbsmith on Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby SMUer » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:51 am

It's going to be great waiting two-to-three years for each recruiting class of South Africans to finally grasp their positions!
SMUer

Postby StallionsModelT » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:12 am

This man is a disgrace to SMU.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby SMUPhil » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:13 am

In all fairness to the USFL, the 30 for 30 film about the league indicated that it was not in shambles until Donald Trump entered as one of the owners. He convinced several other owners that it would be to their advantage to go head to head with the NFL and play in the fall, hoping for an eventual merger with the NFL and therefore greatly increasing their investments. The spring football idea wasn't terrible.
Sent from my Motorola brick.
SMUPhil
All-American

Postby Mestengo » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:40 am

Say Mex; Remember when we used to show up at practice,
attend all the lunches, watch film - and there was hope for something better?

Don't let June's celebrity and a few glasses of wine with him cloud what he is doing to the majority of this fan base.
Mestengo
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:59 am

wow. It doesn't take long for me to remember why i don't visit the football board anymore - our coach continues to wave the white flag, publicly this time and the most active thread is a [deleted] match with NT. SMU football is awesome!
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:34 pm

Funny thing is, the G5 conferences don't have it THAT bad. We get a team in one of the six major bowl games every year, and I personally think that if a team had a run like Boise or TCU in 2010, there would immense pressure on the selection committee to put that team in the four-team playoff provided they didn't play a wimp non-conference slate or there were four undefeated P5 teams (highly unlikely).

We made zero commitment to being competitive in football for 20+ years after the DP, so we may need to step up our commitment in future years to compensate for that w/r/t full cost of attendance, health insurance benefits, stipends, etc to be relevant on the national stage and with recruits.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby peruna81 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:37 pm

yeah that USFL thing worked out SO WELL....
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:22 pm

peruna81 wrote:yeah that USFL thing worked out SO WELL....

Before my time, but wasn't it doing alright in the spring before Trump convinced owners to move to fall schedule and go head-to-head vs NFL?
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Re: June Jones says the

Postby PlanoStang » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:31 pm

CalallenStang wrote:
PlanoStang wrote:No scheduling the BIG DOGS during the fall to be beat up as patsies, and they have to
beat each other up to get 12 games on the schedule :!: :!:

You ID YUTS can't think, or fantasize outside your sand box. :lol:

I seriously don't know what you are saying

Then clearly with 16000+ posts on here, this board has fried your noodles :!: :lol: :lol: :lol:
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mexmustang » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:01 pm

Some of you have formed your own opinion of June and I can't change it one way or another.

But, we are a mid-major (a have not) and it effects everything from attendance, to conference membership, to our investment in facilities dedicated to football. Our facilities are comparable to a major Texas high school program! and guess what? We did it to ourselves. June wasn't even here for the majority the almost 30 years that we put ourselves in this position.

These are a few of the quotes I overheard when I was heavily involved with SMU during the first years of our new governance and administration :

"In two years I will have eliminated all the vestiges of big time football at SMU", Kenneth Pyle, President.

" We will never play another game off campus again, especially in Texas Stadium. We want to disconnect from all aspects of professional football," Kenneth Pyle to the AD of the University of Texas when the Longhorns came to play us at old Ownby Stadium. What was its capacity? 12,500?

"We cannot allow our football team to use the NCAA admission standards. Our goal is to improve our SAT average scores and football really hurts this effort", Chairman of the Board, SMU, spring game 2010 to me. Well obviously, SMU never offered statistics!

"Athletics continues to negatively effect our SAT average SAT scores and our budgeting process", current Provost 2013 presentation to the faculty.

Leadership starts at the top. You want to kill the messenger? Well that hasn't worked in 30 years.

June was clearly suggesting that as long as the Big won't share the revenue, won't let us in their little tournament, why provide them the fodder to pad their records--let's just play in the spring and have a separate game. Sounds silly, but have you ever negotiated using rhetorical positions?

Now let's get serious for a moment, SMU isn't on anyone's short list for a major conference membership... that's right! On no one's short list. After 30 years of effort, we have successfully made ourselves irrelevant. Our reputation is the reason. We were kicked out of three conferences, the SWC, the WAC (Mountain West), and the Big East (what was it 17 schools left or did "touch and goes" since we were invited? We had an extremely well connected AD and fired him over stating the truth. Believe me or not, we missed the tournament because of this--it is a 'who do you know, play golf with world, go to dinner with, have a drink with world. There was reason he was able to get tickets for a friend of mine next to the SEC Commissioner during the Final Four!

With all the complaining I read on this board, I haven't heard one valid suggestion . Someone needs to wake up the 'haves' and threaten their comfortable positions.

Here is a little example...A&M that new major power in the SEC

Last year they played these 'have nots': Rice, Sam Houston State, SMU and UTEP. Without them their overall record would have been 5-4, 1-4 against top 25 teams. Two of their wins were against Duke and Vandy. You really believe Sumlin could keep his job with that record? That record would give the a major bowl invite? If we beg out of the game, the a average career of coaches in the Big Five would be about 18 months. Remember I am talking about A&M, not the bottom half of schools in these conferences. ESPN where will your TV market go? 'Let's get a beer and watch two 2-8 teams for a place in the Outback Bowl'.

But, not to worry, A&M will play Lamar, Rice, SMU, and U.L. Monroe this season and Sumlin and ESPN will be safe again for a other year! And you guys will go on trying to fire a coach and believe the next one, the one just over the horizon can put Humpty Dumpty together again!
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:59 pm

You are right. We should take the June Jones suggestion and just quit. But let's not just quit, let's quit and be a laughing stock while we are at it.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

PreviousNext

Return to Football