PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

June Jones says the "have-nots" should play in Spring

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: June Jones says the "have-nots" should play in Spring

Postby PonyKai » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:18 am

Casey wrote:Why are we getting worked up because JJ had an unorthodox idea? That's always been his M.O.

That's such low hanging fruit it isn't worth it.
PonyKai
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smustatesman » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:15 pm

Just contacted UPS to let them know that JJ's outside his box again. And, he needs to be put back in, and shipped off to TiKi Land.
Smustatesman aka NUKE......I procreate and I vote.
smustatesman
All-American

Postby austinponie » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:09 pm

I don't know the financial situation or future opportunities for SMU versus everyone else.

Don't claim to know what will transpire regarding power conferences versus have-nots.

But to a casual football fan, this smacks of defeatism.
austinponie
All-American

Postby EastStang » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:23 pm

Given that college presidents and commissioners have proven that they have less loyalty than a lady of the evening, anything is possible for the right price. To give up the chance at a fictional bid to the college football playoff and to give up a chance at playing the "big boys", to me would have to require a high price. If ESPN wanted to offer spring college football, it could approach these conferences and offer them more than they are getting now and see what they say. I mean, we got offered 100% more than we're making now on football should we consider it? How about 200%? How about 1000%. We know what we are, we're just negotiating the price.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby TidePony » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:39 pm

The story is on Saturday's Down South - embarrassing for SMU.
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby bubba pony » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:23 pm

EastStang wrote: We know what we are, we're just negotiating the price.

I get it, Winston Churchill, good one EastStang
bubba pony
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:43 pm

well...we are getting publicity from this. Our local sports talk radio in Charleston had a good laugh about this at JJ's expense...as they talked about SEC and ACC media days and there being only 38 days left until the season kicks off. Of course, they then added...unless JJ gets his way in which case SMU has a long wait before they suit up again.
Charleston Pony

Postby dr rc » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:03 pm

June coming up with a way to make stealing $2 million a year last a little longer?

shocker :roll:

maybe he could compete better with P5 schools if he'd get up off his lazy butt and actually try recruiting at various local schools instead of waiting for kids that have to resort to sending out their own tapes to fall into his lap.

also, way to inadvertently tell the kids on the team he thinks they have zero shot at winning 3 of their 4 OOC games this year. :|
dr rc
Varsity

Postby PlanoStang » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:32 pm

sbsmith wrote:
Horseshoe wrote:Huh … didn't see where JJ suggested quitting. I don't get the spring idea, either. It wouldn't feel normal. But it's pretty shortsighted to crucify a guy for an outside-the-box idea. So what if it doesn't work? It's an idea.

He's only being crucified because it's a really stupid idea though it is consistent with his fear of competition.

I wonder if the 186 guys, and women / children had fear of competition at the ALAMO :?: :!:

You ID YUTS clearly have no concept of how dire the non P5 situation is :?:

Kick them out of NCAA in ALL sports :!: :!:
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Treadway21 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:00 pm

Ha, so the option is to quit competing?!

The Alamo defenders stayed - they didn't let the Mexicans have it. June's idea is equivalent to Travis picking up and moving to a strategically insignificant fort in another state.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby ponyinNC » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:10 am

Mexmustang wrote:Some of you have formed your own opinion of June and I can't change it one way or another.

But, we are a mid-major (a have not) and it effects everything from attendance, to conference membership, to our investment in facilities dedicated to football. Our facilities are comparable to a major Texas high school program! and guess what? We did it to ourselves. June wasn't even here for the majority the almost 30 years that we put ourselves in this position.

These are a few of the quotes I overheard when I was heavily involved with SMU during the first years of our new governance and administration :

"In two years I will have eliminated all the vestiges of big time football at SMU", Kenneth Pyle, President.

" We will never play another game off campus again, especially in Texas Stadium. We want to disconnect from all aspects of professional football," Kenneth Pyle to the AD of the University of Texas when the Longhorns came to play us at old Ownby Stadium. What was its capacity? 12,500?

"We cannot allow our football team to use the NCAA admission standards. Our goal is to improve our SAT average scores and football really hurts this effort", Chairman of the Board, SMU, spring game 2010 to me. Well obviously, SMU never offered statistics!

"Athletics continues to negatively effect our SAT average SAT scores and our budgeting process", current Provost 2013 presentation to the faculty.

Leadership starts at the top. You want to kill the messenger? Well that hasn't worked in 30 years.

June was clearly suggesting that as long as the Big won't share the revenue, won't let us in their little tournament, why provide them the fodder to pad their records--let's just play in the spring and have a separate game. Sounds silly, but have you ever negotiated using rhetorical positions?

Now let's get serious for a moment, SMU isn't on anyone's short list for a major conference membership... that's right! On no one's short list. After 30 years of effort, we have successfully made ourselves irrelevant. Our reputation is the reason. We were kicked out of three conferences, the SWC, the WAC (Mountain West), and the Big East (what was it 17 schools left or did "touch and goes" since we were invited? We had an extremely well connected AD and fired him over stating the truth. Believe me or not, we missed the tournament because of this--it is a 'who do you know, play golf with world, go to dinner with, have a drink with world. There was reason he was able to get tickets for a friend of mine next to the SEC Commissioner during the Final Four!

With all the complaining I read on this board, I haven't heard one valid suggestion . Someone needs to wake up the 'haves' and threaten their comfortable positions.

Here is a little example...A&M that new major power in the SEC

Last year they played these 'have nots': Rice, Sam Houston State, SMU and UTEP. Without them their overall record would have been 5-4, 1-4 against top 25 teams. Two of their wins were against Duke and Vandy. You really believe Sumlin could keep his job with that record? That record would give the a major bowl invite? If we beg out of the game, the a average career of coaches in the Big Five would be about 18 months. Remember I am talking about A&M, not the bottom half of schools in these conferences. ESPN where will your TV market go? 'Let's get a beer and watch two 2-8 teams for a place in the Outback Bowl'.

But, not to worry, A&M will play Lamar, Rice, SMU, and U.L. Monroe this season and Sumlin and ESPN will be safe again for a other year! And you guys will go on trying to fire a coach and believe the next one, the one just over the horizon can put Humpty Dumpty together again!

You are the biggest effing idiot I've ever seen. How do I ignore this moron?
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PlanoStang » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:14 pm

dr rc wrote:June coming up with a way to make stealing $2 million a year last a little longer?

maybe he could compete better with P5 schools if he'd get up off his lazy butt and actually try recruiting at various local schools instead of waiting for kids that have to resort to sending out their own tapes to fall into his lap.

also, way to inadvertently tell the kids on the team he thinks they have zero shot at winning 3 of their 4 OOC games this year. :|

JJ didn't even make the list of the top 20 most over paid Div 1 college coaches for this year. 2 million a year is about a little less than average now :!: :!:

We haven't been able to compete with the P5 schools in recruiting since we fired Hayden Fry in
72 :!: :!: :!: That is excluding Ron Meyer's and beyond cheater years :!: :!: :!:

Then it just got out of hand when the Fed courts said NCAA had no control over TV contracts :!:

JJ TROLLS need to get a life :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:57 pm

Opening gathering under each of my 4 years with Hayden Fry he began by saying we were equal with all teams and our goal was a National Championship. Now we never in our heart of hearts thought that we were likely going to be National Champions but he would not allow us to think otherwise until the goal was no longer attainable. And then the goal became the next highest achievable level. He never let us believe any team was better than us and he never allowed us to think we could not be the best we could be.

This current coach has gone public and stated he wants to run from competition and that he cannot recruit against them. I know Hayden Fry. I played for Hayden Fry. June Jones is no Hayden Fry.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby couch 'em » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:08 pm

PlanoStang wrote:
dr rc wrote:June coming up with a way to make stealing $2 million a year last a little longer?

JJ didn't even make the list of the top 20 most over paid Div 1 college coaches for this year. 2 million a year is about a little less than average now :!: :!:

We haven't been able to compete with the P5 schools in recruiting since we fired Hayden Fry in
72 :!: :!: :!: That is excluding Ron Meyer's and beyond cheater years :!: :!: :!:

Then it just got out of hand when the Fed courts said NCAA had no control over TV contracts :!:

JJ TROLLS need to get a life :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

...so what?

72 Fry fired, then only 7 years until the Meyer era you exclude, then the school doesn't try to compete until June. So you can cite 7 years 40 years ago as evidence that we can't criticize June.

1974 to 2014 is 40 years.
1974 to 1934 is 40 years.
Was 1934 relevant to you in 1974?
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:23 pm

Mex- unlike most people here, I won't rag on you. I think you make a lot of valid points.

But if Orsini is so connected and influential, why hasn't he found a job 2+ years later? Still cashing SMU checks? (I'd heard that was the case last summer)
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

PreviousNext

Return to Football