PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU by Position - 2015

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU by Position - 2015

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:13 pm

Funny thing is, if you exclude year one of the JJ era here, we had our worst season under him last year while getting the best production out of the QB position that we've had since he arrived.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU404 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:12 pm

While it was a good write up with a lot of info, 60% of jasonB's analysis is completely off. Especially the defense
Played in the June Jones Era
SMU404
Junior Varsity

Postby ojaipony » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:15 pm

We will suck. I like the potential of our OL and RBs but only if we actually run the ball. I think, defensively, we will be absolutely atrocious and the passing game will be suspect especially early on (shockingly). Over/under on Baylor getting to 60 on us?
ojaipony

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:15 pm

SMU404 wrote:While it was a good write up with a lot of info, 60% of jasonB's analysis is completely off. Especially the defense

Care to expound on that?
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby ideal » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:20 pm

ojaipony wrote: I think, defensively, we will be absolutely atrocious

Isn't the best defense, a good offense
The ncaa is a R.I.C.O.
ideal
Junior Varsity

Postby Nacho » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:15 pm

i too have lost all interest in the upcoming season. 2 of the 4 of us are boycotting.
before reading this thread i couldn't name one starter.
i will make it into the stadium. so i got that going for me. i guess.
Nacho

Postby ponyswim » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:42 pm

I think we will be pretty good. The question is when - if we figure it out early - especially at quarterback and in the secondary, our record will be pretty good, 7-5, 8-4. If we figure it out later, it will not look look good.

I thought we were pretty good at the end of last year except for an awful Houston game. We lost some key people, but for everyone we lost, we have 2 or 3 that are a year older, and hopefully a much improved. Overall we were very young last year, and will be pretty young this year. Hopefully they figure it out sooner rather than later. Burcham simply has to be good, otherwise it won't be fun to watch.
ponyswim
Varsity

Postby Harry0569 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:12 am

Nacho wrote:i too have lost all interest in the upcoming season. 2 of the 4 of us are boycotting.
before reading this thread i couldn't name one starter.
i will make it into the stadium. so i got that going for me. i guess.

I have too. As a basketball guy, I was never a huge football fan. Not that basketball is on an upward trajectory, all of my focus has gone to basketball.

Yes I will still watch all of the games and stay active on the game threads, but I won't be depressed if we lose a game.

With all of that said, is it worth me flying in to Dallas for the TAMU game to watch us get smoked?
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569

Postby JasonB » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:59 am

ponyswim wrote:I think we will be pretty good. The question is when - if we figure it out early - especially at quarterback and in the secondary, our record will be pretty good, 7-5, 8-4. If we figure it out later, it will not look look good.

I thought we were pretty good at the end of last year except for an awful Houston game. We lost some key people, but for everyone we lost, we have 2 or 3 that are a year older, and hopefully a much improved. Overall we were very young last year, and will be pretty young this year. Hopefully they figure it out sooner rather than later. Burcham simply has to be good, otherwise it won't be fun to watch.

I thought the team was going to be really good last year. The defense looked awesome in practice, the LBs looked great, the young corners looked good enough to unseat Parks pretty easily, and GG was back.

Instead, the young CBs couldn't push Parks, who really struggled. We didn't have any depth to replace Rambo when he was hurt. Pope was one-diminsional at LB (understandable with a lack of experience). Sanders played hurt the entire year and struggle, which exposed further lack of depth. Seals struggled and was benched. We couldn't handle injuries at safety.

Lesson learned - while I like what I have seen of the skill level of a lot of the younger players at practice, I am not going to raise my expectations until they show it on the field, especially if they are FR or SO. We have significant unknowns with younger players that will start at QB, WR, OL, LB, CB, and S. I would be thrilled if the youth comes through and we finish with a strong record. But I am not going to expect that to happen, hence the 5-7 prediction.
JasonB

Postby StallionsModelT » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:33 am

The defensive front seven should be much improved over last season. Wood, Wright, and Barnes are all now returning starters and upperclassmen. Nwosu is a real game changing transfer at middle linebacker. Paired up alongside Yenga we could be pretty stout through the middle of our defense. If Sanders can return to form after his injury and Seals can finally show us what the coaches have been raving about since he got here then we should have a couple edge rushers that are both upperclassmen as well. Looking at our 3 deep rotation of defensive linemen I'd have to think it is as good as we've had in the June Jones era:

(1)
Zach Wood (JR)
Darrian Wright (SR)
Beau Barnes (SR)

(2)
Elie Nabushoshi (SO)
Nick Reed (SO)
Zelt Minor (SO)

(3)
Cameron Smith (JR)
Andy McCleneghan (JR)
Justin Lawler/Mason Gentry (FR)
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby ponyswim » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:27 am

I agree on the front 7.
Your 3 deep did not include Riley-Ayers who played pretty well when Reed moved to offense, or Jarvis Pruitt who played a little at the end of last year and had a pretty good spring. Plus Jerry Saena and Spencer Hollie.
Not saying any of the those belong in that 3 deep - it is just good to have a ton of people with ability in the DL.
I hope Seals does a "Keenan Holman" and gets it this year.
ponyswim
Varsity

Postby JasonB » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:33 am

I really like the DL and all the depth, but LB is the concern I have in the front 7. Rambo was the leader and the unit was awful when he got injured. Nwosu may be able to replace him skill-wise, but I don't even know if he played in a 3-4 system at Rice. Will he have to learn a completely different system? Sanders was still hurt in the spring, which is a concern, Seals hasn't proven it on the field, and the depth is a major concern. I really hope Seals plays well because he was an absolute beast in practice last year before the season started.

I think there are still too many unknowns at LB to make the blanket statement that our front 7 will be a strong point.
JasonB

Postby StallionsModelT » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:39 am

Nwosu was an All-CUSA linebacker at Rice who already has his degree. I feel confident he can come in here and learn Mason's system. For the defense to really take a step forward we need the young corners to play well and Greenbauer to stay healthy. We were dreadful against the pass after Greenbauer was out for the year with his injury. If he can stay healthy and we find a couple corners that can play then this defense may actually be decent.
StallionsModelT

Postby JasonB » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:45 am

The potential is there, even with the young players at safety as well...

I am knocking Nwosu in any way, but inside linebackers in the NFL have difficulty the first year transitioning from a 4-3 to a 3-4. Again, I have no idea what the scheme is at Rice, but that would be my concern.
JasonB

Postby StallionsModelT » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:13 pm

He racked up over 100 tackles for Rice last year and was the anchor of their defense. I fully expect him to play well and for there to be no significant drop off from Rambo's performance. Again, it will come down to staying healthy at some key positions and finding two or three corners that can play. JR Richardson was highly touted out of HS but has had the injury bug and I believe struggled with his confidence last season. Horace Richardson, if he's not starving, showed some flashes. Even Ajee Montes showed up a bit when he had some opportunities. We have to find a couple of decent corners in order for us to have a good season defensively.
StallionsModelT

PreviousNext

Return to Football