PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

June Jones statement on 'Group of Five' comments

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

June Jones statement on 'Group of Five' comments

Postby PonyPride » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:59 am

Released through SMU athletic department:

"My recent comments about the non-‘Group of Five’ conferences possibly moving their football seasons to the spring were my own, and not those of SMU or the American Athletic Conference. Not being in one of these leagues creates unique challenges, and requires us to think out of the box. My comments were an example of this, and, I hope, triggered others to do so as well.

“Our conference experienced a great deal of national success in its first season. Two teams were ranked in the top 15 of the final AP poll and five were selected for bowl games. At SMU, we strive for that same level of success and will compete for American Athletic Conference Championships. We want to compete with and beat teams from the ‘Group of Five.’

“All that said, with the season approaching quickly, my hope is to put this issue behind us and move forward. My focus will be on SMU and my team. Any further questions or comments concerning our future as a school or conference can be directed to SMU Athletic Director Rick Hart or American Athletic Conference Commissioner Mike Aresco.”

June Jones
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: June Jones statement on 'Group of Five' comments

Postby StallionsModelT » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:01 pm

What an idiot.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:07 pm

Translation: Rick and Aresco were pissed.

Also, WTF? "We want to compete with and beat teams from the ‘Group of Five.’"

No [deleted], June. We'd also like to beat TCU and Baylor and A&M. Who the hell proofread this?

EDIT: Actually I think he meant "Group of Five" to mean the five power conferences.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:08 pm

It was nice of June to sit down and take time to write that statement to clarify his comments.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby skyscraper » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:33 pm

Hot seat officially activated.
skyscraper

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:35 pm

skyscraper wrote:Hot seat officially activated.

Yeah. June better find a way to piece together 6+ wins if he wants another $2M check in 2015
East Coast Mustang

Postby Dark Horse » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:44 pm

Not sure this makes his seat any hotter or cooler. Looks like basic PR-speak that the university had to put out there.
Dark Horse
All-American

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:47 pm

Dark Horse wrote:Not sure this makes his seat any hotter or cooler. Looks like basic PR-speak that the university had to put out there.

I'd imagine Rick Hart didn't want to deal with this in the first place. Having to put out a press release to CYA is typically not a good look
East Coast Mustang

Postby Stallion » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:56 pm

Rick Hart just placed that statement in June Jones Termination File

Its becoming increasingly obvious that Rick Hart is exerting a leadership role over Littl' June Jones
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:58 pm

The Rick Hart haters have been quiet recently.
East Coast Mustang

Postby birddogger » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:05 pm

I'm glad that we're not the only ones who are more than a little annoyed and embarrassed by JJ's off-the-wall comments. It's clear that we and our other non-5 brethren are on the outside looking in, but it doesn't mean that we are a "have not." We have proven that we have the resources available to thrive in a pay-for-play college football format.

His comments should tip the scales against keeping him if the upcoming season is only mediocre.
birddogger
All-American

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:07 pm

Stallion wrote:Rick Hart just placed that statement in June Jones Termination File

Its becoming increasingly obvious that Rick Hart is exerting a leadership role over Littl' June Jones

Yep. This did not sit well with Rick Hart or the AAC. I like how Hart responded quickly.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:12 pm

At this point, has JJ mailed it in and accepted his fate, or does he have any interest in even collecting checks here past this season?

His tone deaf comments lead be to believe he's on cruise control, but the uptick in recruiting (the likes of which we hadn't seen since before the ASU debacle) suggests otherwise.
East Coast Mustang

Postby skyscraper » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:02 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:At this point, has JJ mailed it in and accepted his fate, or does he have any interest in even collecting checks here past this season?

His tone deaf comments lead be to believe he's on cruise control, but the uptick in recruiting (the likes of which we hadn't seen since before the ASU debacle) suggests otherwise.

I thought he was giving it one last shot w/the seemingly increased effort in recruiting. But those USFL comments is definition of one step forward, two steps back.
Maybe he can't get out of his own way on this one.
skyscraper

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:12 pm

The thing that really chaps my [deleted] is that June could be an awesome recruiter if he just gave a [deleted]. He's got NFL head coaching experience, a lot of ties with NFL coaching staffs, and has a decent track record of getting guys in the league. Plus, from everything I've heard from players who have played under him, he's a really good guy who cares about his players and takes a genuine interest in their personal success off the field. He also does some commendable things in the community that don't get a lot of press, partially because he doesn't really seek out attention (besides the movie!)

I just don't understand why he has such little interest in selling himself and the program to higher caliber recruits- he has a lot to offer as a coach and SMU as a program has a lot of unique things to offer. Hell, we did the "Recruiting Blitz" for two weeks and picked up some solid recruits as a result- Proche, McCrary, Scott twins, Kearns, Marvis- that's the foundation for a nice class. But then you hear things like Darrell Miller at Cedar Hill not even knowing he's been offered and you just have to slap the table again in disgust
East Coast Mustang

Next

Return to Football