PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

June Jones statement on 'Group of Five' comments

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: June Jones statement on 'Group of Five' comments

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:50 am

Mex will catch a ton of grief but there's a lot of truth to that

Although I think JJ is out if he misses a bowl for the second consecutive season
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

June Jones statement on 'Group of Five' comments

Postby PonySnob » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:57 am

Rather see our players get to go play in atmosphere like at Michigan than a home game against Montana State. We'll get a bigger check that is 100% SMU's than our share of any bowl game we will be in with a 6-6 record.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby ideal » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:02 pm

this is not jjfans.com
i'm thinking he is too divisive, not a unifier
this is not a state taxpayer funded program where you pit fb against everyone else.
he seems like he always has Steinberg out looking for the next job.
He was recruiting kids for AZ on our dime, for cryin' out loud.
The ncaa is a R.I.C.O.
ideal
Junior Varsity

Postby skyscraper » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:09 pm

It will be tumbleweeds at Ford in Oct. & Nov. once we open winless in September and it will be tumbleweeds next year if JJ is retained after a losing season. No A&M and no TCU to goose the ticket sales.
I want JJ to succeed because I think he has the potential, but I'm not optimistic about the upcoming season.
skyscraper

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:14 pm

skyscraper wrote:I want JJ to succeed because I think he has the potential, but I'm not optimistic about the upcoming season.

Everyone on here is predicting doom and gloom and a 2-win season, but I don't see it. Look at June's coaching history- he's a better coach than that.
East Coast Mustang

Postby sbsmith » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:34 pm

skyscraper wrote:It will be tumbleweeds at Ford in Oct. & Nov. once we open winless in September and it will be tumbleweeds next year if JJ is retained after a losing season. No A&M and no TCU to goose the ticket sales.

Embrace Mediocrity
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby Treadway21 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:39 pm

There is a reason everyone loves LB and not just cause he has had success. They like that he respects the school and the fans.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby blackoutpony » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:12 pm

I agree with Mex on a few of points and disagree with a few others.

The first I agree with being that it is complete crap that we keep cutting the budget for football every year and expect to do better. Why do you think June has to hire all his old buddies? This was one of my main concerns with Hart when he came here. One of the main things he was proud of at his powerhouse UT-Chattenuga was that he reduced the budget across board. That's not going to get it done in today's college football world and i'm not sure why that is something he would brag about. Obviously it makes RGT happy, so he has more money for fountains and stupid promenades.

I also dislike the Michigan game. I really do. Hell, I'd be cool with a 2 for 1 and the one being at Jerryworld or something, but not this. Do you all think we can actually compete with them? We're just being sent to collect a paycheck at the expense of a 56-17 beat down so Hart can tell Turner how awesome his budget is looking for the next year.

I agree that Rick does just want to maintain the status quo and does not have any real plan other than hoping and praying. This has been relayed through several different outlets that they are content with where they're at. That's total crap and a losers attitude. I don't think he has the stones to get us where we need to be, but I pray that I am wrong. I appreciate that June is trying to think outside the box, but that doesn't make what he said any less stupid.

I do disagree that we can't get someone better than June. I used to love June and I do appreciate what he did UP UNTIL THE ASU FIASCO. Every since then, he hasn't cared or hardly even tried. Hell, he had to beg his buddy Hal Mumme to come fix his offense for a year to save his job, since his passing game was complete crap for 5 years.

Mex, you say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Well, isn't that what we're doing here with June? We've gone 8-5, 7-7, 8-5, 7-6, 5-7 with only 6 wins against FBS teams with winning records. If ya'll like mediocrity, then June is your man. But i'm not a fan of bouncing around .500 ever year, beating up on crap teams so we just look less crappy.

Will we ever be what we were in the 80's? Sadly, I think that train left the station a very long time ago. Can we be relevant? I don't see why we can't at least be kind of like Boise State, Louisville, TCU, or Utah before them and at least be a pain in the butt of the P5. Hell, even Houston gets respect nationally for what they did with Case Kenum. I would just like not be considered such a joke that Bob Stoops makes fun of Texas A&M for having us on their schedule. That's the dream, right?
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby blackoutpony » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:13 pm

TLDR - Rick Hart is a weenie without a plan, and Thanks June, but its time to go bye bye so we can be an above average program
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:20 pm

I really don't think Rick is content to watch the football program circle the drain at the expense of his professional career, just to make RGT happy.

I was initially excited about the Michigan game, but it really is just like something a MAC team would do- take a paycheck for an asswhipping. Sad. Although didn't TCU play Texas down in Austin once in '07 with no return trip? Maybe by 2018 a new coach will have this thing pointed in the right direction and that game won't be a totally irrelevant beatdown
East Coast Mustang

Postby skyscraper » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:57 pm

Not sure why the Hart skepticism remains. I was once in your camp, but everything that's happened since he's been hired has changed my mind. $$, not Hart's inferiority, is the reason we're still stuck with JJ.
skyscraper

Postby blackoutpony » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:02 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:I really don't think Rick is content to watch the football program circle the drain at the expense of his professional career, just to make RGT happy.

I was initially excited about the Michigan game, but it really is just like something a MAC team would do- take a paycheck for an asswhipping. Sad. Although didn't TCU play Texas down in Austin once in '07 with no return trip? Maybe by 2018 a new coach will have this thing pointed in the right direction and that game won't be a totally irrelevant beatdown

The RGT comments were a little tongue in cheek, but I've heard from people that know a lot more than I do, that they are currently content. One of the reasons I don't think he see's it as flushing his career down the toilet is because of a lot of what Mex said. People outside of SMU think June really is some sort of tiki god that is currently doing wonders. Once again, i'm stoked about what he did here initially, but we're just not going anywhere now.

Re TCU, I think you're thinking of all the games they used to play against OU in Norman without return games. Difference is TCU was a perennial top 25 team and we haven't had more than 8 wins since 1984.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustang1108 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:53 pm

TCU did play UT in 07 without a return game. Texas ended up winning 34-13. TCU was up 10-0 at the half and then Texas dominated the second half. That was a common theme for Texas that year. Play incredibly flat in the first half and then come out like a different team and blow the opponent out in the second half.
mustang1108
Varsity

Postby CalallenStang » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:15 pm

CargoGunki wrote:If Levine ever said something this foolish, he would have been shown the door before he even finished his statement. When will SMU ever learn?

Prove it
CalallenStang

Postby Mexmustang » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:37 am

Well, I hope I got some of your attention.

The problem starts at the top, not at the coaching level. For thirty years we have ground up coaching staffs, and then expect better results, without being unified in our goals and financial commitment. We always blame the coach and are unwilling to demand a commitment. Therefore we get second class results and a demoralized staff that eventually gives up or tries to leave.

Before the College Station game, II sat on the sideline bench with two of our major donors, watching the corps march in, and all three of us were in agreement--The major donor said, "I really feel sorry for June and his staff. Unlike basketball, we haven't given him anything."

Part of our problem is that we believe SMU is still an important program. We are irrelevant, and we have been in a state of denial for almost 30 years. We are on nobody's short list for going a major conference.

As far as June's comments are concerned, as the days have gone by, more and more people, including ESPN, and now Aresco seem to be embracing his comments. Not the spring schedule, but standing up to what is right and not taking this kicking laying down.

As far as June is concerned, I am still mad at some of you posters that fired Tom Rossley, and you know who you are! Ten more years of mediocrity under Cavan and Bennett! Fire the coach! We are SMU! Nothing is wrong....

Let's just support June, demand an investment and commitment before we try to hire his replacement... but, let's let him finish with a little class so we don't shoot ourselves in the foot again in front of the press.
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football