PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

June Jones statement on 'Group of Five' comments

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: June Jones statement on 'Group of Five' comments

Postby Grant Carter » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:41 am

Mexmustang wrote:Well, I hope I got some of your attention.

The problem starts at the top, not at the coaching level. For thirty years we have ground up coaching staffs, and then expect better results, without being unified in our goals and financial commitment. We always blame the coach and are unwilling to demand a commitment. Therefore we get second class results and a demoralized staff that eventually gives up or tries to leave.

Before the College Station game, II sat on the sideline bench with two of our major donors, watching the corps march in, and all three of us were in agreement--The major donor said, "I really feel sorry for June and his staff. Unlike basketball, we haven't given him anything."

Part of our problem is that we believe SMU is still an important program. We are irrelevant, and we have been in a state of denial for almost 30 years. We are on nobody's short list for going a major conference.

As far as June's comments are concerned, as the days have gone by, more and more people, including ESPN, and now Aresco seem to be embracing his comments. Not the spring schedule, but standing up to what is right and not taking this kicking laying down.

As far as June is concerned, I am still mad at some of you posters that fired Tom Rossley, and you know who you are! Ten more years of mediocrity under Cavan and Bennett! Fire the coach! We are SMU! Nothing is wrong....

Let's just support June, demand an investment and commitment before we try to hire his replacement... but, let's let him finish with a little class so we don't shoot ourselves in the foot again in front of the press.

Moving to spring football is laying down. If you cannot see that then you are in denial.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUer » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:56 am

What on Earth has June been denied?
SMUer
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby gostangs » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:11 pm

Mex you are just wrong. June has the highest salary of a non major - and his staff is well paid. The facilities here are fine. There are no reasons why SMU cant do at least what TCU did in the Mountain west. None.

What do have to say about his recruiting effort? - because it is all right out there for the world to see. He doesn't try. He is arrogant. Basically anyone could break even against the CUSA talent we have been playing against.

He is a good x and o coach and that's about it. He should be a quarterback coach or maybe an offensive coordinator. No people skills. No loyalty.

Is it an easy job at SMU? Clearly not. I liked Rossley and think he was a good coach and a pretty good recruiter. Say what you will about Bennett - but the most talented teams June had here were full of his recruits.

Anyone, and I mean anyone, that knows college football knows June mails in his recruiting effort. that's really all you need to know. There are 30 young hot shot coaches that would run through a wall to give this program a boost of energy it desperately needs.

I will take my chances with someone who cares, who is willing to work, knows how to talk to alums, fans and the media (and donors) who has coaching knowledge and can get young hustling coaches in place instead of a fossil collection.

Make the right hire and this place could come alive for football.
gostangs

Postby mrydel » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:43 pm

Mexmustang wrote:As far as June's comments are concerned, as the days have gone by, more and more people, including ESPN, and now Aresco seem to be embracing his comments. Not the spring schedule, but standing up to what is right and not taking this kicking laying down.

I cannot even begin to give any credence to the rest of your post due to this paragraph. To say more and more are embracing his comments but not the spring schedule when the main comment he has made that has everyone in an uproar is the spring schedule idea. The giving up idea. Why dont we say his winning record is great as long as you dismiss those pesky losses?
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby malonish » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:10 pm

Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.