PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Stoops rips A&M out of conference schedule (and SMU)

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Stoops rips A&M out of conference schedule (and SMU)

Postby Harley Spoon » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:30 pm

Nacho:

It's rare...but it happens. My father attended Baylor and I spent my childhood attending Baylor games....cried my head off when Penn State beat Baylor in the 1974 (season) Cotton Bowl. Never did like Paterno after that game. That's my excuse. Also...really wasn't much animosity from Aggies toward Baylor until we departed the conference....just one of those games you lost once or twice every ten years...kinda hard to hate Baylor fans when that's going on.

Really bizarre occurrence last Wednesday evening. Sitting in my favorite Mexican food restaurant in a small Texas town wearing a fairly uncommon Aggie, gameday shirt. Guy walks up to me and says he likes my shirt; and I then see he is wearing an identical shirt. We start talking...turns out he's a huge Baylor fan as well behind only A&M. In fact, he played football for Baylor for three years before going to A&M for his masters and getting brainwashed.

Doesn't happen often...but it happens.
Harley Spoon

Postby Nacho » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:01 pm

you must be an yankees and red sox fan too.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby marco » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:40 pm

Ha! I can vouch for Harley, his name has a story all to itself and everything he claims to be true, is. He's a good guy, an aggy and a BU fan. It's not everyday but some of us can follow one team and still admire/be a fan of another school that is a foe on the field.
marco

Postby Pony_Law » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:01 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:Anyone who doesn't readily admit that the SEC the most dominant conference in the country is living under a rock.

Look at recruiting. Look at the previous 15 years. Auburn got some insanely lucky breaks (to say the least) during the regular season was probably the worst team in the BCS era to represent the SEC in the national title game and still took a historically dominant FSU squad down to the wire.

All right I'll take a bite just because I can't stand how so many people slurp the SEC all the time. The SEC is a good conference that is true but it is way over ratted. The SEC has 2 great programs (Alabama and LSU) then they have a bunch of teams that range from mediocre to good depending on the year but are usually just ok (Auburn, Florida, Gerorgia, SC, A&M) and then they have a bunch of teams that are just not very good (Vandy, Tenn, Miss. State, Old Miss) Every SEC team pretty muchschedules 4 home non-conference games against patsy every year (with some exception but the rule is 4 weak home OCG). As a result all of the mediocre teams get ranked despite constantly losing to each other and the power teams and just beating the bad teams, The bad teams only have to pull 2 wins to be bowl eligible and the media circle j's it self into every team in the SEC is so good. If they SEC is so superior why were AM and Mizz U able to compete right away? SEC is a good conference but make the SEC teams play OU or Texas in 100 heat, or OH State or Wisconsin when its 15 degrees in front of hostile crowds and they will lose.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:25 pm

Pony_Law wrote: Every SEC team pretty muchschedules 4 home non-conference games against patsy every year (with some exception but the rule is 4 weak home OCG).

Hogwash. South Carolina plays Clemson every year. Florida plays FSU every year. Georgia plays Georgia Tech every year (not UGA's fault that GT has been down recently- but UGA has also played Clemson OOC and recently scheduled Notre Dame OOC). Tennessee always schedules tough home-and-home OOC opponents despite having to play Bama every year as their crossover game: UCLA, Oregon, OU that I can remember off the top of my head. LSU has played at Arizona State, at Virginia Tech, and at WVU in recent years. Ole Miss at Texas last year. UK plays Louisville every year. Just about the only team I can think of in the SEC who consistently schedules weak OOC opponents is Vandy.

Someone look up conference bowl records over the past ten years or so. I dont know for a fact, but I have a pretty good idea which one will come out on top.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby mrydel » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:54 pm

Arkansas did not make the good or the bad. Guess they are the ugly.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Nacho » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:33 pm

marco wrote:Ha! I can vouch for Harley, his name has a story all to itself and everything he claims to be true, is. He's a good guy, an aggy and a BU fan. It's not everyday but some of us can follow one team and still admire/be a fan of another school that is a foe on the field.

i'm an aggie fan myself. most aggies hate baylor and vice versa. harley is an anomaly but no doubt a good guy.
Nacho

Previous

Return to Football