PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Stoops rips A&M out of conference schedule (and SMU)

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Stoops rips A&M out of conference schedule (and SMU)

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:30 pm

Stoops rattled off Texas A&M's 2014 nonconference schedule -- Lamar, Rice, SMU and ULM -- from (surprisingly accurate) memory and said "Those are all of bunch of toughies."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... l-comments

Bob has really been riding high since that Sugar Bowl win over Bama. It's sad that in year seven of the JJ era we're lumped in with the other patsies
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Stoops rips A&M out of conference schedule (and SMU)

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:44 pm

Maybe he was poking Sumlin for scheduling four games in the spring? :roll:
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Nacho » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:03 pm

probably hasn't gotten over the cotton bowl beat down.
Nacho

Postby B1GPonyFan » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:39 pm

Nacho wrote:probably hasn't gotten over the cotton bowl beat down.

Considering that one of Stoops' teams hung 70 on the Aggies in a prior meeting, I don't think he's sweating the Cotton Bowl disappointment too much. He just put it on Alabama (I don't care if people argue the Tide were uninspired because it didn't play for the NC. That's their problem.) in the Sugar Bowl as Erik Striker was biotch slapping A.J. McCarron.

I love the fact that he's going after the SEC at every turn. More people should. That conference isn't home of the defending national champion, is it?
B1GPonyFan
Varsity

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:58 pm

Anyone who doesn't readily admit that the SEC the most dominant conference in the country is living under a rock.

Look at recruiting. Look at the previous 15 years. Auburn got some insanely lucky breaks (to say the least) during the regular season was probably the worst team in the BCS era to represent the SEC in the national title game and still took a historically dominant FSU squad down to the wire.
East Coast Mustang

Postby sbsmith » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:02 pm

B1GPonyFan wrote:
I love the fact that he's going after the SEC at every turn. More people should. That conference isn't home of the defending national champion, is it?

Neither is the Big 12, in fact they haven't had a national champion since 2005 and the last two times they had a team in the title game they lost to SEC schools. The playoff is probably not going to be kind to them.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:02 pm

When is the last time the B1G won a title?
East Coast Mustang

Postby Junior » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:03 pm

Meanwhile, Sumlin is listing off the conference games OU gets to play.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby sbsmith » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:08 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:When is the last time the B1G won a title?

2002 Ohio State beat Miami
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby B1GPonyFan » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:12 pm

sbsmith wrote:
B1GPonyFan wrote:

Neither is the Big 12, in fact they haven't had a national champion since 2005 and the last two times they had a team in the title game they lost to SEC schools. The playoff is probably not going to be kind to them.

Why would it not be kind to the Big 12? You're suggesting that conferences, which play a championship game, are in a better position because they're playing this extra game and gets them into playoff mode? I don't know what you mean by that since the Big 12 is also playing regular season games the first weekend of December.

You already know the Final Four games and their outcomes? That's pretty interesting for July 23.
B1GPonyFan
Varsity

Postby sbsmith » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:30 pm

B1GPonyFan wrote:Why would it not be kind to the Big 12? You're suggesting that conferences, which play a championship game, are in a better position because they're playing this extra game and gets them into playoff mode? I don't know what you mean by that since the Big 12 is also playing regular season games the first weekend of December.

You already know the Final Four games and their outcomes? That's pretty interesting for July 23.

Just saying that the way things have been trending for the Big 12 on the national stage (what with their title drought and decline in recruiting) doesn't bode well for them in the playoff era. Though I'm sure Oklahoma beating a disinterested Bama means the conference is due for a resurgence right? BTW my comment had nothing to do with the Big 12s lack of a title game (it's hurt them quite a bit in the past as a matter of fact).

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby WordUpBU » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:24 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:When is the last time the B1G won a title?

2002 Ohio State. It's also the last time they were competitive in a title game.
WordUpBU
All-American

Postby B1GPonyFan » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:26 pm

How has it hurt the Big 12? The Big 12 has been at 10 teams for two seasons. Your NC games have been Alabama-Notre Dame (Oklahoma State had an argument or was that 2011?) and Auburn-Florida State. You had 2 Big 12 teams in last year's BCS games, so I really don't understand what you're saying.

I get the recruiting argument to an extent. But why didn't Alabama with an allegedly better roster beat Oklahoma? I'll use your word "disinterested" because if that's what it really was, then shame on Alabama, shame on Nick Saban because they deserved what they got.

I believe the conference championship game's value is overstated because "that's just the way everybody is thinking."
Last edited by B1GPonyFan on Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B1GPonyFan
Varsity

Postby WordUpBU » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:28 pm

Everybody keeps predicting doom and gloom for the Big 12. The Big 12 champ will have a great shot to be in even with a loss as long as it isn't blown out. The margin of loss is the big reason why the last 2 would not have made it in. Otherwise it's a really good argument for their inclusion.

EVERY team in the league will have played 9 games against a league slate that is historically almost as tough as the SEC in average BCS computer ranking over the last 6 years and around 10-15 spots higher than the averages for the PAC, B1G, and ACC. So even without a CCG the SOS will be fine. Even with the Big 12 having a down year AND the effect of SMU bailing at the last minute and having to be replaced with Wofford last year BU's SOS was higher than FSU, Clemson, Ohio State, Wisconsin, or Michigan State.

Who cares if you got to schedule one more cupcake before playing your 9th league game than a Big 12 team did if your SOS is weaker?
WordUpBU
All-American

Postby WordUpBU » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:35 pm

sbsmith wrote:
B1GPonyFan wrote:

Each one of those losses had significant injuries with Murray, Johnson, and McCoy going down. At full speed the games could easily have changed, the UT-Bama game especially with how horrendous Gilbert played and still had a chance to beat Saban's "we suck against the spread O" defense.
WordUpBU
All-American

Next

Return to Football