PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Stoops rips A&M out of conference schedule (and SMU)

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Stoops rips A&M out of conference schedule (and SMU)

Postby sbsmith » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:37 pm

B1GPonyFan wrote:How has it hurt the Big 12? The Big 12 has been at 10 teams for two seasons. Your NC games have been Alabama-Notre Dame (Oklahoma State had an argument or was that 2011?) and Auburn-Florida State. You had 2 Big 12 teams in last year's BCS games, so I really don't understand what you're saying.

I believe the conference championship game's value is overstated because "that's just the way everybody is thinking."

The conference title game is what hurt the Big 12. There were several occasions during their title game era where one of their members lost the game and a NC shot along with it. The Big 12 is much better off at 10 with their round robin.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby gostangs » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:24 pm

interesting that stoops now things the big boy to go after is A&M and no longer UT.
gostangs

Postby ghost » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:26 pm

Didn't the champion of the AAC, Central Florida, beat the champion of the Big 12, Baylor? And wasn't that a pretty close game a downtrodden SMU team put up against CFU? Those big-time programs paying teams to come and play at their place and not on the road under their conditions is a huge advantage. OU at Waco is a different team than in Norman and vice versa.
ghost
All-American

Postby sbsmith » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:34 pm

WordUpBU wrote:
Each one of those losses had significant injuries with Murray, Johnson, and McCoy going down. At full speed the games could easily have changed, the UT-Bama game especially with how horrendous Gilbert played and still had a chance to beat Saban's "we suck against the spread O" defense.

Fair point but injuries happen and we'll never know how those games would have unfolded had those injured players been available. What we do know is that an SEC team won both those games. Should we slap an asterisk by any game that is influenced by injury?
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby CenTXpony » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:37 pm

I will still say that the UCF game would have had a much different outcome (in a bad way) had it not been played in freezing weather. I tend to feel that bad weather sometimes neutralizes the playing field to a certain degree, such as the TCU game 2 years ago, as well as the first 2 quarters of last years game in Ft. Worth.
CenTXpony
Heisman

Postby sbsmith » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:41 pm

gostangs wrote:interesting that stoops now things the big boy to go after is A&M and no longer UT.

He's probably a little sore about that Cotton Bowl beatdown and Aggy's recent recruiting dominance.

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby leopold » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:25 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:Stoops rattled off Texas A&M's 2014 nonconference schedule -- Lamar, Rice, SMU and ULM -- from (surprisingly accurate) memory and said "Those are all of bunch of toughies."

Um, no.

For the record I agree with Bob about Alabama making an excuse and about Saban's crying about the faster tempo, but I just checked OU's outtaconference sched, and Tulsa, La Tech, and SEC bottom dweller Tennessee isn't gonna scare any of his players either.
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby lwjr » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:49 pm

leopold wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:Stoops rattled off Texas A&M's 2014 nonconference schedule -- Lamar, Rice, SMU and ULM -- from (surprisingly accurate) memory and said "Those are all of bunch of toughies."

Um, no.

For the record I agree with Bob about Alabama making an excuse and about Saban's crying about the faster tempo, but I just checked OU's outtaconference sched, and Tulsa, La Tech, and SEC bottom dweller Tennessee isn't gonna scare any of his players either.

But OU plays a tough conference schedule Kansas, TCU, Iowa State.
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby WordUpBU » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:50 pm

leopold wrote:

Um, no.

OU plays an extra league game and Tennessee is more challenging than any of A&M's.
WordUpBU
All-American

Postby ponyfan37 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:41 pm

Stoops is definitely not jelous of A&M. Look at his record vs the Ags. His national championship and what, 8 big 12 titles? Speak for themselves.
Pony up!
ponyfan37
Varsity

Postby Treadway21 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:09 pm

Man, the SEC is living rent free in Stoop's head. This isn't the first time he has taken pot shots re Big 12 vs SEC - he might want to obsess at little less.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:29 pm

I guess we can mark OU done for never joining the SEC as long as "Big Game Bob" is there. He would be terrified to go up against the conference slate eight times a year
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby leopold » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:33 am

WordUpBU wrote:
leopold wrote:

Um, no.

OU plays an extra league game and Tennessee is more challenging than any of A&M's.

Nobody's impressed that he has to play a Kansas, or 3 win Iowa State, or perhaps a soon-to-be-Danaless West Virginia for that ninth game. If he wants the SEC to stop taking all the attention then he is going to have to get some help from his conference mates.

Great. One legitimate OOC game. Must be where that 'Big Game' thing came from.
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby LakeHighlandsPony » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:07 am

Big game Bob is a highly paid Hal Mumme. I watched a horrible longhorn team led by the worst D1 QB demolish the sooners last year. Stoops needs to be quiet.
LakeHighlandsPony
Hall of Famer

Postby Nacho » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:36 am

stoops is a jealous goof.
Nacho

PreviousNext

Return to Football