PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Stoops rips A&M out of conference schedule (and SMU)

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Stoops rips A&M out of conference schedule (and SMU)

Postby PonySnob » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:31 am

June complains about the schedule as well...........
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:36 am

Why is a Baylor fan trying to defend Stoops when their own non-conference schedule is pretty much the biggest joke of all the "power" schools?

I mean really....Wofford? Incarnate Word? Liberty?
Mustangs35SMU

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:39 am

Mustangs35SMU wrote:Why is a Baylor fan trying to defend Stoops when their own non-conference schedule is pretty much the biggest joke of all the "power" schools?

Don't forget UTSA, Rice, Northwestern State, and Buffalo. I guess they really added some firepower to that lineup by adding a power conference team in Duke.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/big-12/baylor-bears.php

We may be their toughest OOC opponent each of the next three seasons, which is pretty remarkable
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby leopold » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:13 pm

PonySnob wrote:June complains about the schedule as well...........

At least JJ has something to complain about. I think he should be playing former SWC opponents, too, but heck, they're all ranked - even Rice won 10 games last year.

WordUpBU wrote:
Mizzou was almost in the national title game and narrowly won. 11-2 South Carolina as well. They would be included in the "top heavy" part last year so the top went 2-2.

The other wins?

MSU over Rice - Meh
Vandy over UH- Meh
LSU by 7 over an average Iowa team that a bad ISU team almost came back on. - Meh
A&M over a meh Duke team in a game that they should have lost. Duke only beat 2 P5 teams with a winning record (VT, UNC) by a combined 5 points. Every other P5 they played with a pulse beat them.
Ole Miss over .500 GT- Meh
UGA defeated by an ok but not great Nebraska.

Yeah, but they won for the most part, and that's why the SEC gets the attention. When it comes to prime-time games the SEC puts on a war face and owns people - seriously.
In opening games where Alabama plays Michigan or Va Tech or Penn State they win the ones they have to win - even a loss by Georgia to an undefeated Boise State doesn't help all that much. They've absolutely owned their ACC sister schools in rivalry games the past years - Spurrier could walk Swinney around on a leash right now - and this is where there should be more competition. And it took what? nine? attempts to finally beat the SEC in a national championship game and it was a heck of a game.

People can make all the excuses they want, but until someone, anyone starts winning games consistently against that conference this is going to go on.

WordUpBU wrote:The SEC is the best league but that doesn't mean that the best can't be a tad overrated as well. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Absolutely agree with you on that.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby WordUpBU » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:38 pm

Mustangs35SMU wrote:Why is a Baylor fan trying to defend Stoops when their own non-conference schedule is pretty much the biggest joke of all the "power" schools?

1- We play one less league game so instead of a P5 noncon we get a 9th P5 opponent via our league schedule.

2- As for the teams you listed...

Wofford- You punks forced us to scramble to add somebody 6 months prior to the season because Hart didn't want to play 4 P5 teams.

Incarnate Word/Liberty/NW State/etc- Paying to get an extra home game just like the SEC teams do only unlike Florida we don't lose to them.

The rest of our forseeable noncon comes out to either:

SMU/Rice/UTSA- Home and homes with large BU alumni bases on the visitor end
Duke- ACC P5 opponent

Most Bear fans would like it to be tougher but between getting an extra home game and trying to play regional noncon (like you guys) it doesn't leave much room.
WordUpBU
All-American

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:51 pm

WordUpBU wrote:

1- We play one less league game so instead of a P5 noncon we get a 9th P5 opponent via our league schedule.

Wofford- You punks forced us to scramble to add somebody 6 months prior to the season because Hart didn't want to play 4 P5 teams.

Incarnate Word/Liberty/NW State/etc- Paying to get an extra home game just like the SEC teams do only unlike Florida we don't lose to them.

Duke- ACC P5 opponent

Most Bear fans would like it to be tougher but between getting an extra home game and trying to play regional noncon (like you guys) it doesn't leave much room.

I thought the Baylor/SMU agreement to not play last year was mutual, since Baylor got another home game?

Also you were just clowning Duke one page back and now you're asserting them as a P5 opponent to bolster your schedule like they're not historically one of the worst P5 programs there is- which is it going to be? Are ya'll going to get Wake and Indiana on there too for 2020-2024?

Finally...

"Most Bear fans would like it to be tougher but between getting an extra home game and trying to play regional noncon (like you guys) it doesn't leave much room."

Uhh, unless my math is off you still have one extra OOC game to schedule, so that's a cop out. TCU does this every year- one FCS school, us, and a P5 opponent. Not that hard. Just admit ya'll intentionally draw up a weak schedule.

Something I've learned from this thread- it must be really easy to get accepted at Baylor
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby WordUpBU » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:16 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:
WordUpBU wrote:

Duke- ACC P5 opponent

I thought the Baylor/SMU agreement to not play last year was mutual, since Baylor got another home game?

Not a chance. SMU backed out with 6 months to go and our AD was quoted in a radio interview saying they were scrambling to find a replacement at the last minute.

Also you were just clowning Duke one page back and now you're asserting them as a P5 opponent to bolster your schedule like they're not historically one of the worst P5 programs there is- which is it going to be? Are ya'll going to get Wake and Indiana on there too for 2020-2024?

-I was clowning the 2013 team that struggled to beat anyone with a pulse.
-I simply said they are a P5 opponent. I didn't say whether they would be good or not. Probably depends on if they can keep Cutcliffe.
Finally...

"Most Bear fans would like it to be tougher but between getting an extra home game and trying to play regional noncon (like you guys) it doesn't leave much room."

Uhh, unless my math is off you still have one extra OOC game to schedule, so that's a cop out. TCU does this every year- one FCS school, us, and a P5 opponent. Not that hard. Just admit ya'll intentionally draw up a weak schedule.

I said it does not leave much room. I did not say it prevented it entirely. Our AD is scheduling for an extra home game and wants whatever road noncons we have to typically be regional to try to not only boster recruiting but also reconnect with the alumni we've got in Texas that haven't reconnected with BU after we were horrible for so long.

I'd rather us schedule Arkansas, BYU, Ole Miss, Arizona, etc. but that isn't where the AD or Briles are steering us. It is what it is whether I like it or not.
WordUpBU
All-American

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:03 pm

We will be better than Baylor in basketball this season, and the next. Suck it! No one cares about football.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Rayburn » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:30 pm

Let's separate out some things here:
1. Texas A&M is a member of the SEC, not the SEC itself.
2. Texas A&M can go to hell and stay there.
3. Bob Stoops is correct about A&M's schedule. he can also go [deleted] up a rope.
4. Oklahoma U. can also go to hell and stay there.
Rayburn
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Topper » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:01 pm

The concept of the Big 12 is quickly becoming irrelevant now that UT and OU are essentially financial islands of independence. Both schools just need a comfortable place to hang their hats without the chance of hurting their poll standings with a conference championship loss. They could care less about the strength of the conference from top to bottom.

To equate the bunch of hangers on who constitute the rest of the conference with the SEC is ridiculous to the point of absurdity. They exist because the two big powers don't want to compete in a conference with other perennial powers. And no, Baylor, Tech, OSU or even KSU are not perennial powers despite some commendable recent teams.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby Smu_rise » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:19 pm

http://www.teamrankings.com/college-foo ... le-by-team

Coach Stoops should check out this link. If Alabama had Oklahoma's schedule and vise versa last year, Oklahoma would've been a 3 or 4 loss team instead of a 2 loss team, while Alabama would have the same record probably or maybe better. I really don't see what he's complaining about. The statistics don't lie.
>Stay positive< >Refuse to lose<
Smu_rise
Recruit

Postby WordUpBU » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:28 pm

Smu_rise wrote:http://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/strength-of-schedule-by-team

Coach Stoops should check out this link. If Alabama had Oklahoma's schedule and vise versa last year, Oklahoma would've been a 3 or 4 loss team instead of a 2 loss team, while Alabama would have the same record probably or maybe better. I really don't see what he's complaining about. The statistics don't lie.

Just like people saying if OU had played Bama they would lose... oh wait.
WordUpBU
All-American

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:17 am

Given that today Baylor has without a doubt a better football team and arguably a better basketball team going into this season than Texas, it amazes me Texas hasn't tried to bring Baylor down a peg or two.

Baylor getting top notch recruits in football and basketball to live in Waco must be damn near impossible without something shady going on. Maybe everything there is on the up and up but something doesn't pass the smell.

It's not like they brought in HOF coaches to correct a generation of mediocrity or worse.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby Harley Spoon » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:31 am

My first post after lurking for two years. Qualifier: I'm an Aggie that is a huge, life-long Baylor fan and an SMU season ticket holder for the last four years. I ignore the NFL and love college ball.

A few quick points on the various topics:

1. Stoops is just carrying the party line as instructed by the Big 12 confernce heads. A&M's schedule is ranked 5th most difficult this coming year...OU's is ranked 93rd. Otherwise, you can argue the experts are wrong until the cows come home, NFL doesn't know how to draft kids and recruiting stars absolutely don't matter. http://www.fbschedules.com/2014/04/2014-college-football-strength-of-schedule-ncaa-method/

2. Big 12 can start talking smack when their conference champions accomplish something in the post season. Conference co-champions KSU and OU were annihilated in 2012 post season. The 2013 champion embarrassed the conference in the Fiesta Bowl. On the other hand, I don't buy into the "Bama wasn't interested" argument against OU. Bama tried and was soundly beaten......anything can happen on any given day in college football. An un-ranked Baylor beat the #1 team in the nation in 2012.

3. A&M's OOC schedule is still influenced by the conference realignment. Arkansas was the premier OOC game when A&M was still in Big 12 and that has become a conference game. Arky was a top 10 team when those OOC games were scheduled. Texas, Baylor etal refused to play A&M after realignment so, A&M scrambled to get OOC games for the next three years. This is the last of those three years. A&M's OOC schedule for the next few years is

2015: Arizona State
2016: UCLA
2017: UCLA
2018: Oregon
2019: Oregon

4. Baylor schedule's an incredibly weak current and FUTURE OOC schedule because their AD and head coach believe that is their best chance to go undefeated and get into the playoff. This may be smart. They rely upon their conference mates to schedule the tough OOC games and then hope they can piggyback onto those results for SOS without risking their own record. This may be smart. However, it may backfire when they are a one-loss conference champion and trying to get into the playoffs. For now though, Briles and Ian and have decided that the only practical chance to get in is to go undefeated. And, if their stratgy starts to look like a poor one....they can always attempt to replace those outlying OOC games with better quality opponents like lower-tier P-5 teams.

5. What's the "so what?" The "so what" is that Stoops is an incredibly talented coach, he's an intelligent man, and OU is an incredibly talented football program. However, they are seeing their Texas recruiting pipleline of blue chips start to dry up. The actual statistics of Texas blue chips going to the SEC (apart from A&M) has changed very little over the last three years. A&M's entry into the SEC hasn't helped other SEC schools' recruiting to Texas blue chips. However, a huge portion of those blue chips that were going to Oklahoma are now staying home and going to A&M...and to some lesser but material degree to Baylor. Stoops is panicked and doing everything he can to stem that tide. I don't blame him....he's a smart man.
Harley Spoon

Postby Nacho » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:42 am

you cannot be an aggie and baylor fan. impossible. i stopped reading after that absurd comment.
Nacho

PreviousNext

Return to Football