PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Darius Johnson

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Darius Johnson

Postby dirtysouthpony » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:14 pm

I saw this in the Atlanta paper today. He was highly thought of in the organization before this. I guess it's zero tolerance for free agents. Hope he can bounce back.

Former Falcons wide receiver Darius Johnson was arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol, expired or no license on person, failure to have license on person and failure to obey signs or control devices on May, 24, 2014 by Atlanta Police Department, according to their website records.
After the first walk-through session on Friday, the Falcons released Johnson, who was contemplating a career change.
“I’m not going to comment on the reason that Darius was released,” Falcons coach Mike Smith said. “We never do. There was a transaction that we put in today and he is no longer a member of our team.”
The Falcons, who are at 89 players on the roster, did not complete a transaction Friday.
The timing of Johnson’s release was curious, since he was expected to make the final roster after a strong rookie season.
Johnson, 5-foot-10, 175 pounds, was signed by the Falcons as a college free agent on April 29, 2013.
Johnson was the star of training camp last season as an undrafted rookie free agent.
He played in 10 games and made two starts. He had 22 receptions for 210 yards with one touchdown last season.

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/football/ex-falcons-wr-johnson-was-arrested-for-dui/ngn5n/
dirtysouthpony
Varsity

Re: Darius Johnson

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:45 pm

Had 22 catches for 210 yards and a TD last year. Odd that he would be considering a "career change," he was expected to make a contribution for them this year. Hope everything is OK with him

EDIT: if I'd read the whole quote you posted, I wouldn't have had to look up his stats and needlessly repeat them
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Junior » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:11 pm

Wow. This is surprising.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Darius Johnson

Postby CalallenStang » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:46 pm

So he goes out and gets drunk, gets behind the wheel of a car (without his drivers license) and runs a red light.

Could have ended much, much worse.

I hope Darius gets everything turned around.
CalallenStang

Postby dirtysouthpony » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:15 pm

Roddy White and Julio Jones went down last year, and Darius really developed chemistry with Matt Ryan. The Falcons have had a couple of dui's over the past few years, and they were usually willing to give a second chance. Maybe Darius had some other infractions.
dirtysouthpony
Varsity

Postby 03Mustang » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:34 am

He never seemed to be the most keyed-in player on the field (or off, given his academic issues) at SMU...with some guys you can see the love for it, others not so much.

"Career change" sounds like maybe he's not sure the NFL isn't for him. I hope he figures it out and does well from here.
03Mustang
PonyFans.com Legend

Ex-Falcons WR Darius Johnson was arrested for DUI

Postby Harry0569 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:13 am

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/football ... dui/ngn5n/

ormer Falcons wide receiver Darius Johnson was arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol, expired or no license on person, failure to have license on person and failure to obey signs or control devices on May, 24, 2014 by Atlanta Police Department, according to their website records.

After the first walk-through session on Friday, the Falcons released Johnson, who was contemplating a career change.

“I’m not going to comment on the reason that Darius was released,” Falcons coach Mike Smith said. “We never do. There was a transaction that we put in today and he is no longer a member of our team.”

The Falcons, who are at 89 players on the roster, did not complete a transaction Friday.

The timing of Johnson’s release was curious, since he was expected to make the final roster after a strong rookie season.

Johnson, 5-foot-10, 175 pounds, was signed by the Falcons as a college free agent on April 29, 2013.

Johnson was the star of training camp last season as an undrafted rookie free agent.

He played in 10 games and made two starts. He had 22 receptions for 210 yards with one touchdown last season.
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569

Re: Ex-Falcons WR Darius Johnson was arrested for DUI

Postby PonyPlayer4 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:58 am

Doesn't help his chances if he was looking to get into coaching.
PonyPlayer4
Hall of Famer

Re: Ex-Falcons WR Darius Johnson was arrested for DUI

Postby austinponie » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:45 am

Sounds like he needs a change of scene and/ or a year off.

Lotta football left in that guy.
austinponie
All-American

Return to Football