PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New Season Ticket Holder

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

New Season Ticket Holder

Postby jwnear » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:18 pm

Hey all, just wanted to introduce myself. I'm new to the board and to SMU athletics.

I've been living in dallas for a little over a year, and decided to buy SMU football tickets this year. I'm originally a graduate of NIU but am a new SMU fan as well.

Look forward to going to the games and visiting the board.
jwnear

Re: New Season Ticket Holder

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:21 pm

Welcome! We're a little down on the state of the football program and June Jones right now, but welcome aboard.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:23 pm

Welcome. Keep the faith!

I have an NIU connection through family - I'm sure the past few years have been awesome.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby jwnear » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:37 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:Welcome. Keep the faith!

I have an NIU connection through family - I'm sure the past few years have been awesome.

They definitely have been. I actually graduated in 2013 and moved straight here from graduation. So my senior year was the Orange Bowl trip. Glad to see others down here have NIU connections.

What's the tailgate, gameday atmosphere like? I'm really excited to meet some people at the games and get an SMU gang as well.
jwnear

Postby mrydel » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:41 pm

You will like it, but please come with the idea to go to the game while also enjoying the atmosphere of the boulevard. Welcome.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:52 pm

jwnear wrote:What's the tailgate, gameday atmosphere like? I'm really excited to meet some people at the games and get an SMU gang as well.

The Boulevard is where we tailgate. It's incredible. Hot girls everywhere in sundresses and cowboy boots. Lots of people setup tents and are always friendly to share a beer and whatever they may be cooking.

One of our biggest challenges is getting people off the Boulevard and actually into Ford Stadium for the game.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby lwjr » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:56 pm

The Boulevard is modeled after, The Grove at the University of Mississippi. The Boulevard is the best tailgating experiences in Texas.
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby smusic 00 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:04 pm

Welcome! Don't be shy and don't be afraid to introduce yourself to folks boulevarding. Everyone is welcome to share a beer, soda and some food. You're gonna love it. Now about our team....
smusic 00

Postby mrydel » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:07 pm

You do not need to have a spot. Come and mooch off of the friendlies. The Mustang Club has a tent where you can get a good meal if you wish. Join by making a small donation and you can eat for I believe $10. Make a $500 or more donation and eat for free every game.

But again, keep in touch on this board and people with spots will invite you to come by and join in eats, drinks and conversation.

If they continue to do so there will be a large tent with big screens called the Corrall. Show your game ticket and you get free food and a couple of drinks.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby peruna81 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:16 pm

Glad you are here! Just out of curiosity, how did you hear/decide to become a season ticket holder?
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby jwnear » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:32 pm

peruna81 wrote:Glad you are here! Just out of curiosity, how did you hear/decide to become a season ticket holder?

Well my brother has lived in Dallas for 8 or so years and when I was in high school he tried to get me to go to SMU but I wanted to stay in Illinois for college. Kind of got interested then when visiting campus. Then as weird as it sounds the 30 for 30 really had me interested when I knew I was moving here.

I missed not going to games weekly last year since I was so far from NIU so I decided to buy tickets since I'm only 10 mins away. The tickets are so cheap it was a no brainer.
jwnear

Postby smusic 00 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:59 pm

30 for 30 has done a lot to increase awareness in SMU. Interesting to hear it influenced you to buy tix.

You don't realize yet what you've signed up for, but being an SMU fan is unlike any other fandom.
smusic 00

Postby CenTXpony » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:22 am

Welcome! Glad to have you join the fan base and hope to bump into you on the vard!
CenTXpony
Heisman

Postby CalallenStang » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:44 am

Welcome! Don't let the negativity (mine included) about the current state of the program turn you off - everyone here genuinely loves our Ponies.

Hope you have a great time at the games and on the 'Vard!
CalallenStang

Postby CalallenStang » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:47 am

smusic 00 wrote:You don't realize yet what you've signed up for, but being an SMU fan is unlike any other fandom.

This is true. It's about proudly supporting the program despite getting kicked in the face repeatedly (figuratively, of course). Especially on the football side, you won't run into too many fans that aren't die-hards.
CalallenStang

Next

Return to Football