PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Vertical passing game

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Vertical passing game

Postby Alaric » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:20 am

Disappointed to see JJ say we're going to go back to more of a vertical passing game. Vertical passing/RNS = 50 yard bombs on 3rd and long/no ball control/wear out our defense/low percentage passes/one running play/"we'd score every play but our receivers and qb's on the different page" offense

Fortunately, we now have basketball!
Alaric
Hall of Famer

Re: Vertical passing game

Postby couch 'em » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:25 am

Why are you torturing yourself by reading anything June says? Take my advice - don't pay attention, ride it out, and cone back next season excited for a fresh new coach.
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby StallionsModelT » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:28 am

Get ready for more 3rd and 1 bombs down the sideline.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby ideal » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:31 am

When Bart Starr did it, no one was expecting it, where's the sportsmanship in that?
The ncaa is a R.I.C.O.
ideal
Junior Varsity

Postby WordUpBU » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:37 am

Alaric wrote:Disappointed to see JJ say we're going to go back to more of a vertical passing game. Vertical passing/RNS = 50 yard bombs on 3rd and long/no ball control/wear out our defense/low percentage passes/one running play/"we'd score every play but our receivers and qb's on the different page" offense

Where did he say that?
WordUpBU
All-American

Postby JasonB » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:56 am

I haven't seen where he said it, but it may have been in reference to last year. At the beginning of the year, the offense was more horizontal and struggled. Partially because of a lack of consistent execution, and partially because the running game was less effective because less space is open on the field.

June took more control over play calling and the offense improved significantly. We went more vertical, which took advantage of Holman more, and it opened up space for the running game, which was improved over the second part of the year.

My guess is that he was just indicating that we are going to run the offense the way it operated the second half of the year instead of the horizontal stuff Mumme put in for the first few games.
JasonB

Postby mustang1108 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:02 am

June said it in this article with the DMN.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/colleg ... s-best.ece
mustang1108
Varsity

Postby StallionsModelT » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:19 am

When has that ever been "what we do best"? The offense was at its best last season with Mumme's input.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby PonyPlayer4 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:47 am

June mentioned it during AAC media days. I for one am excited. We barely took any vertical shots the last 2 years. I loved watching Cole Beasley and Emanuel tear up the seams routes in the Hawaii Bowl. I want to get back to that.
PonyPlayer4
Hall of Famer

Postby sbsmith » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:49 am

Alaric wrote:Disappointed to see JJ say we're going to go back to more of a vertical passing game. Vertical passing/RNS = 50 yard bombs on 3rd and long/no ball control/wear out our defense/low percentage passes/one running play/"we'd score every play but our receivers and qb's on the different page" offense

June's going to go out the way he came in.....in a blaze of interceptions and losses.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby SMUer » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:59 pm

Sigh...at least deliver...I'm still waiting for the RnS I was so excited for...
SMUer

Postby Smu_rise » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:24 pm

I'm really excited for the "vertical passing game" to return. If nothing else, it stretches the field for the run. That horizontal game is non-sense. The reason we have to run that type of offense is because we usually don't have the athletes to get open down field with an O-line that gives our QB 2 seconds to throw...With the "best athletes" we've had here at SMU in coach Jones's tenture, I'd say that throwing deep to those guys is going to be a big reason why our running backs could have a huge year. (ypc average)
>Stay positive< >Refuse to lose<
Smu_rise
Recruit

Postby ojaipony » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:46 pm

If our OL is solid, we should wear out teams all day long throwing (IF we rotate in receivers which we won't).

I would argue that our offense looked better later in the year because we were playing much lower quality competition. Go back and watch the Tech game. We were matching them step by step most of the game and were starting to pull away a little until the new "if you get tackled without the ball you will be called for holding" rule the refs implemented for that game only for that one play only.

I REALLY hope our OL is solid this year. If they are, maybe we pull out 4 wins. If not, it's going to be ugly . . . and I expect ugly.
ojaipony

Postby GiddyUp » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:59 pm

couch 'em wrote:Why are you torturing yourself by reading anything June says? Take my advice - don't pay attention, ride it out, and cone back next season excited for a fresh new coach.

well said and good advice. 3rd and 1 - go deep...!!
GiddyUp

Postby peruna81 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:43 pm

GiddyUp wrote:
couch 'em wrote:Why are you torturing yourself by reading anything June says? Take my advice - don't pay attention, ride it out, and cone back next season excited for a fresh new coach.

well said and good advice. 3rd and 1 - go deep...!!

don't forget "ALL OUT!"
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Football