PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

What Autonomy Really Means for SMU

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: What Autonomy Really Means for SMU

Postby ponyinNC » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:29 pm

Stallion wrote:you guys are crazy-to the average fan as opposed to the average college alumnus culling the herd will make college athletics easier to follow and more like the NFL. OK today I'm rooting for the State of Florida Gators v the State of Tennessee Volunteers. Not really different that an NFL game between Miami Dolphins and Tennessee Titans. Its not going to hurt the Big schools at all-not one bit-in fact ratings will go up. If anything as schools drop out-there would be less games, less competition and higher ratings for the limited games. That's how a monopoly works

In your scenario, the victims will be the marginal P5 programs.

Example - how much room is there in this group for, say, the State of North Carolina?? You have UNC (flagship), Duke, NCSt...but then Wake Forest? Would they make the cut in this "culling of the herd"? I seriously doubt it. Heck, ECU gets twice the attendance figures!

I don't discagree with your overall premnise, but the unintended consequences mean that some P5 members will be relegated. If the purpose is to be more like the NFL, anyway.

Food for thought.
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Previous

Return to Football