PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

June Post Practice 8/16

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: June Post Practice 8/16

Postby malonish » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:55 pm

mrydel wrote:Greenbauer was definitely the QB of the secondary. We were lost last year after he went down in the Memphis game. Secondary was lost the rest of that game and remainder of the year. I do not claim he is the biggest or best around but he is certainly a vital cog until we can find someone else to do better

This
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:46 pm

again in 2012 there 273 3+ stars in Texas and there were about 350 commitments. Being 3 star doesn't mean you are an above average Division 1A recruit. The only one that has shown that he ought to even be on the field as a starter is Greenbauer and there was certainly every opportunity for one of these guys to step up last year. I think the secondary is going to be a mess again which will only be softened by the lack of quality AAC QBs
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby footballdad » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:12 pm

All indications are that Richardson is the best playmaker in the secondary. Not JR or Horace, but Darrion. He makes more picks and knocks down more balls than anyone back there. Very limited playing time last year but should make a big jump this year in productivity. He hits hard, tackles well, and has great ball skills. Even has the speed and coverage ability that the staff is/was considering him as a fill in at corner with all of the health issues with the other Richardson's.

These guys are on par with the rest of the AAC DB's if the Richardson's can stay healthy. Sure we'll give up points to the Big 3, should we be surprised? High 3 & 4 star recruits vs. 2 & low 3 star recruits. Shocking that we'd lose to these guys.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby JasonB » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:46 pm

no-name 2 stars against high 3's/low 4's = you get killed. low 3's against high 3's and 4's keeps you in the game at least.

Understood on the rivals numbers Stallion, but usually all three recruiting services don't miss, good or bad.

D Rich has the athletic tools - they showed up in practice at the beginning of fall practice. He just wasn't quite ready for the field, although he got some game time. Physical and atheltic. Randolph also is a really athletic player with great potential, just hasn't showed up in games yet.

Mason always says not to judge the guys until their third year - RS So or Junior if they burned it. Think Yenga and D Joseph from the year before to last year. So, this is go time for Randolph and AJ - the light should be coming on and they should be ready to play. So I think we will see them step up significantly this season. Same with Horace, JR (if he gets healthy) and Montes. I've heard good things about Washington and Montgomery as well, but I've seen frosh play well in practice at corner and get torched in games. The nice thing is that if D Rich stumbles in the games, we have depth at safety now to cover him and pull him out.

Players we should see a lot more from this year based on that logic: JR, HR, Montes, Randolph, AJ, Seals, both OT, Lasecki, P Line, BURCHAM.

Players who are probably still too young to start: D Rich, N Horton, Minor, Gaines, Lancaster, Brown. Although with all of those players there is a chance they are actually physically talented enough to jump into a starting role instead of starting just because everyone else sucks. Which has been the case in the past.

But think about this: D Rich forced Randolph and HG to battle it out for the other starting spot. Horton is playing ahead of a well regarded Rice transfer for now, Minor forced Barnes (a solid DE) to be pushed to LB. Gaines, Lancaster and Brown are probably the three who are starting without enough experienced competition. Although McCarthy set up to battle against Myers at the other guard spot probably says a lot about Brown and Barns.
JasonB

Postby ponyswim » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:47 pm

I love when someone has been a solid player for us, and gets bypassed by a more talented younger guy that has grown up(Barnes, maybe at safety, hopefully others.)
Granted - we have to see it in games, but the competition in a lot of areas is better than we have had in a long time.
ponyswim
Varsity

Postby footballdad » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:22 pm

JasonB wrote:no-name 2 stars against high 3's/low 4's = you get killed. low 3's against high 3's and 4's keeps you in the game at least.

Understood on the rivals numbers Stallion, but usually all three recruiting services don't miss, good or bad.

D Rich has the athletic tools - they showed up in practice at the beginning of fall practice. He just wasn't quite ready for the field, although he got some game time. Physical and atheltic. Randolph also is a really athletic player with great potential, just hasn't showed up in games yet.

Mason always says not to judge the guys until their third year - RS So or Junior if they burned it. Think Yenga and D Joseph from the year before to last year. So, this is go time for Randolph and AJ - the light should be coming on and they should be ready to play. So I think we will see them step up significantly this season. Same with Horace, JR (if he gets healthy) and Montes. I've heard good things about Washington and Montgomery as well, but I've seen frosh play well in practice at corner and get torched in games. The nice thing is that if D Rich stumbles in the games, we have depth at safety now to cover him and pull him out.

Players we should see a lot more from this year based on that logic: JR, HR, Montes, Randolph, AJ, Seals, both OT, Lasecki, P Line, BURCHAM.

Players who are probably still too young to start: D Rich, N Horton, Minor, Gaines, Lancaster, Brown. Although with all of those players there is a chance they are actually physically talented enough to jump into a starting role instead of starting just because everyone else sucks. Which has been the case in the past.

But think about this: D Rich forced Randolph and HG to battle it out for the other starting spot. Horton is playing ahead of a well regarded Rice transfer for now, Minor forced Barnes (a solid DE) to be pushed to LB. Gaines, Lancaster and Brown are probably the three who are starting without enough experienced competition. Although McCarthy set up to battle against Myers at the other guard spot probably says a lot about Brown and Barns.

D Rich is already penciled in at one safety spot. Shakiel & Greenbauer fighting to be the other starter.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:06 am

Baylor is going to drop the hammer on us; as will A&M. The result of these two games is entirely predictable. And yet. . .I have no doubt that a quick perusal of PF the day after the Baylor drubbing will reveal a state of profound shock and anger among PFs regarding the result. That too is entirely predictable. I speak from years of experience watching SMU and following PF.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby Grant Carter » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:21 am

1983 Cotton Bowl wrote:Baylor is going to drop the hammer on us; as will A&M. The result of these two games is entirely predictable. And yet. . .I have no doubt that a quick perusal of PF the day after the Baylor drubbing will reveal a state of profound shock and anger among PFs regarding the result. That too is entirely predictable. I speak from years of experience watching SMU and following PF.

You are wise.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby ideal » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:23 am

let's play the games
The ncaa is a R.I.C.O.
ideal
Junior Varsity

Postby skurtn » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:15 pm

Grant Carter wrote:
1983 Cotton Bowl wrote:Baylor is going to drop the hammer on us; as will A&M. The result of these two games is entirely predictable. And yet. . .I have no doubt that a quick perusal of PF the day after the Baylor drubbing will reveal a state of profound shock and anger among PFs regarding the result. That too is entirely predictable. I speak from years of experience watching SMU and following PF.

You are wise.

No offense to 1983, but there's no wisdom in those words. It's just what PF has done each and every year.
skurtn
All-American

Postby redpony » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:32 pm

Is it really unrealistic to expect that after 5-6 years of a coach that was one of the highest paid in the g5 that we should be at least semi-competitive with our former conference foes?

IMO the expectations are realistic- it's the results that aren't.
redpony

Postby Grant Carter » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:38 pm

redpony wrote:Is it really unrealistic to expect that after 5-6 years of a coach that was one of the highest paid in the g5 that we should be at least semi-competitive with our former conference foes?

You can expect that the program should be better and still not be surprised if Baylor kills us. I know you can see that.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:40 am

I agree with Grant. I don't mean to sound overly skeptical. I actually do think we have a chance to be better this year. Although that of course depends almost entirely on the production (or lack thereof) we get out of the QB position. But we're in way over our heads in the non-conference slate. September is going to be a very rough month. Strap on your codpieces and prepare yourselves for that.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby Alaric » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:11 am

Grant Carter wrote:
redpony wrote:Is it really unrealistic to expect that after 5-6 years of a coach that was one of the highest paid in the g5 that we should be at least semi-competitive with our former conference foes?

You can expect that the program should be better and still not be surprised if Baylor kills us. I know you can see that.

I'd love to be a mid to high level MAC team
Alaric
Hall of Famer

Postby Big12Mustang » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:21 am

SMU has indeed improved a lot from 2008 until today. But so have Baylor, A&M and TCU...in their case at a faster rate of improvement. TCU just got off a 10 year hot run capped with a Rose Bowl win (and it will get tougher as they build Big 12 depth), A&M is increasingly better and building SEC depth and Baylor is going through monstrous transformation. I don't feel bad losing to them...WVU and others have felt what losin by 35 points is like.

By the way, we usually do well when we get into G5 play against AAC or when we were in CUSA. We just have to be smart when scheduling P5 teams...pick teams we know we can beat like NC State, Cal, Oregon St. instead of going against BU, the SEC version of A&M and Texas Tech...being the king of the G5 is a big deal and that is how you position to attract recruits-see UCF and Boise right now.
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football