PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

ZELT MINOR: Hoping more work means more victories

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

ZELT MINOR: Hoping more work means more victories

Postby PonyPride » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:10 am

Preseason camp is a little different this year for SMU defensive end Zelt Minor.

A year ago, Minor was a highly-touted freshman, but still needed to learn the SMU defense as he fought for a spot in the rotation. He showed a lot of promise as a true freshman, but ultimately ended up backing up then-junior Beau Barnes.

This year, however, his job is different. The expectations people have for him, and that he has for himself, have been raised. Not coincidentally, his approach to the upcoming season also has been altered. With Barnes expected to spend most of the season as a stand-up linebacker, Minor seems to be the heir apparent at the left defensive end spot. No longer is Minor the tantalizing prospect. Now he is expected to produce consistently.

“It’s different being the starter,” Minor said. “You’ve got to be on top of everything, every part of your game.”

Minor said the biggest adjustment he has made in his game — or, more accurately, in practice — is in his work ethic. As a senior at Lamar High School, Minor piled up 73 tackles, 28.5 sacks and 38 tackles for loss. He scored a pair of touchdowns and blocked four punts. He spent the offseason collecting individual honors and college scholarship offers. But he admits that his physical gifts allowed him to dominate games without always working as hard as he could.

“My work ethic is so much better than it was last year,” he said. “In high school, I was usually bigger or stronger or faster than the guy blocking me, so a lot of times, I could get away with (less-than-optimum work habits). Not here. Not at this level. Now, when I finish practice, I go straight to the weight room to get my lift in.

“You have to do what it takes — whatever it takes. I’ll do whatever it takes to help us get wins. We know people are looking down at us this year, but we want to shock the world.”

Minor wouldn’t say that he enjoys the underdog role, but said that the label would serve as a source of motivation around which he and his teammates can rally this season.

“I don’t know if I like the underdog role — I’m not used to it,” he said. “But (winning) is something that me and my team can use, to work toward.”

Minor said that despite the loss of several talented seniors from last year’s defense, the 2014 version has a chance to be better, perhaps much better.

“Compared to last year, I think we’re more mature,” he said. “We have a lot of young individuals on this defense, but a bunch of us had to play young last year. So we’re still young, but we have some experience now, so we can accomplish more than we did last year.”
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: ZELT MINOR: Hoping more work means more victories

Postby dirtysouthpony » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:05 am

Sounds like he has done a lot of growing up in the past year. I'm predicting greatness for this young man.
dirtysouthpony
Varsity

Postby StallionsModelT » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:51 am

Kid was maybe the most dominant defensive player in the state during Lamar's playoff run his senior year. I have very high hopes for him.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby Planter's Punch » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:07 pm

Was a great moment when he switched from UH to SMU, and looks like he is maturing into a great player. We need to keep getting players like this, especially from Houston's own backyard.
Planter's Punch
All-American

Postby ojaipony » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:59 pm

Planter's Punch wrote:Was a great moment when he switched from UH to SMU, and looks like he is maturing into a great player. We need to keep getting players like this, especially from Houston's own backyard.

This! ^^
ojaipony

Return to Football