PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SID, how many season tickets have been sold?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SID, how many season tickets have been sold?

Postby footballdad » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:37 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:I think the real danger in not buying out June last year is that he has an additional year now to further run this thing into the proverbial ditch with lackluster recruiting and uninspired play on the field. That said, we can't keep going back to the program's lifeblood (CoC) and ask them to fork over $5M to buy out June and then spend another $10-$15M to get a new coaching staff in here. The smart FINANCIAL move was to wait it out on this season, see if June can get motivated by a "win or you're gone" type of arrangement, and see where we stand at the end of the season.

It was a can't lose scenario last year with June. The way he was pouting and moping around I honestly thought he might walk away which would have been the best case scenario. But he's not going to leave $2.3M on the table when he wants to coach another 3-5 years.

I think we all have a pretty good feel for this season. After the 1-4 or 1-5 start June and the team will likely pack it in. At that point Rick Hart will have his opportunity to make a signature hire at SMU (something he has yet to do). We're going to need to pay at least $3.5M/year for a coach. Lets hope the deep pockets that have kept this program afloat are willing to dig a little deeper into the coffers.

3.5 million for a non-P5, AAC coach? The top prospects will go to the P5 and get this type of money. Shouldn't have to pay any more than we're paying June to get an up-and-comer who sees the potential at SMU
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby redpony » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:39 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:
I think we all have a pretty good feel for this season. After the 1-4 or 1-5 start June and the team will likely pack it in. At that point Rick Hart will have his opportunity to make a signature hire at SMU (something he has yet to do). We're going to need to pay at least $3.5M/year for a coach. Lets hope the deep pockets that have kept this program afloat are willing to dig a little deeper into the coffers.

And that creates a couple of concerns: A) will the CofC group continue to assist in funding and how much and B) will casper actually be able to make the kind of 'splash' hire that is necessary to move this program upward.
I have more confidence in the former happening than the latter, but time will tell.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby No Quarter » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:45 pm

"SMU SID wrote:

"Stallion wrote:They aren't

Actually, they are. VAST majority are SMU fans. We are over 11k now, which is a new record.

How's that again?

I suppose the reference is to a new record during the Jones era. I don't know if the stats are available but if they are maybe someone will post STS during the years when SMU had a respectable Div 1 football program.

So far as retaining Jones after it is economical to buy him out surely he would have to have a breakeven record or better at SMU and a conference championship for that NOT to happen...
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby Pony ^ » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:43 am

This is the direct result of people trying to move up the totem pull to get bball season tix. Shouldaaaa jumped on the bandwagon earlier
Pony ^

Postby redpony » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:09 pm

Pony ^ wrote:This is the direct result of people trying to move up the totem pull to get bball season tix. Shouldaaaa jumped on the bandwagon earlier

Absolutely, and assisted by the 'veiled threat' that if you didn't buy fball tickets you might not get those bball tickets.
redpony

Postby Big12Mustang » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:40 pm

Beer. Is. Being. Sold. Next. Season. Don't forget
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby NewAgeMustange » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:36 pm

I do think that the beer is going to bring a lot more people into the stadium then we realize. It would be great if they could provide numbers for those of us that like statistical kind of information. :D
NewAgeMustange
Varsity

Postby Bergermeister » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:35 pm

NewAgeMustange wrote:I do think that the beer is going to bring a lot more people into the stadium then we realize. It would be great if they could provide numbers for those of us that like statistical kind of information. :D

Just make some up.
Bergermeister

Postby lwjr » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:39 pm

Bergermeister wrote:
NewAgeMustange wrote:I do think that the beer is going to bring a lot more people into the stadium then we realize. It would be great if they could provide numbers for those of us that like statistical kind of information. :D

Just make some up.

I would also like to know how many more fans attend games now since SMU started selling corny dogs :lol:
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby redpony » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:58 pm

If you did that then you would need to analyze if sales of hot dogs and nachos have dropped off because of the corny dog sales. :roll: :lol: :lol:
redpony

Postby smusportspage » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:47 pm

Don't leave out the delicious roasted candied almonds and cashews. They get me in the gate everytime.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby NewAgeMustange » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:10 pm

Now I'm hungry. Looks like some Lakewood and frozen Corn Dogs for me tonight.
NewAgeMustange
Varsity

Previous

Return to Football