PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

If June Jones wants to save his job, start Matt Davis

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

If June Jones wants to save his job, start Matt Davis

Postby B1GPonyFan » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:59 pm

I don't care what June's track record is with his career and how his offenses have looked. IMO that all goes out the window this year. His job is on the line. If he really wants to save it, he needs his best athletes on the field. For me, it needs to be Matt Davis.

Yep, I'm not a Neal Burcham guy. Regardless of the playing time and circumstances he played in last year, you can tell either he has chance to be good or he doesn't. Based on what I watched, nope. Davis is a dual threat. If plays break down, you have to have a QB who can improvise and make something out of nothing. Keeping plays alive. I've heard Davis' arm is suspect, but I've seen a lot of great athletes play QB elsewhere and find ways to win or make plays.

This will not happen with Burcham. This will happen with Davis.

I have nothing to base this on but I do not think the SMU offense will resemble anything like what it did in 2009-2011.

All bets are off. June needs to win. He needs Matt Davis. If he's starts Burcham and sticks with him, then he wants out of SMU.

Just my take.
B1GPonyFan
Varsity

Re: If June Jones wants to save his job, start Matt Davis

Postby Big12Mustang » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:10 pm

What is curious to me is how June recruited a dual threat guy in Colbert and also brought in Matt Davis. Also the Steve Broussard hire...could signal that June may want to mix it up and come up with a remixed RnS.

The athletic department has done a really good job compared to 2013. The ticket booklet alone is already a huge upgrade and shows we don't want to be bush league. Maybe LB rubbed some luck into June...who knows..
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby peruna81 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:24 pm

Jury is still out on this, but Burcham did not impress in the brief appearances last year.

We don't run an Aggie-similar offense that would support a Manziel type scrambler. Davis does indeed possess those skills, but the last SMU quarterback that had those same traits sat the bench when June took over the reins of the program

This will arguably be the toughest SMU schedule in some time, with a lot of questions on both sides of the ball. June's job may or may not be on the line...but there needs to be a quantum shift in progress (and gamble, if needed) to move on to a better plain
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sbsmith » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:25 pm

If June really wanted to save his job he would have recruited better options for his offense than Burcham and Davis. June's ticket out of here has been punched no matter which QB starts.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Grant Carter » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:31 pm

sbsmith wrote:If June really wanted to save his job he would have recruited better options for his offense than Burcham and Davis. June's ticket out of here has been punched no matter which QB starts.

Is it ok with you if they have a conversation about it without having to caveat with valid criticism of recruiting which everyone is aware of in every thread, or should we just shut the football board until he gets fired?
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby sbsmith » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:51 pm

Grant Carter wrote: Is it ok with you if they have a conversation about it without having to caveat with valid criticism of recruiting which everyone is aware of in every thread, or should we just shut the football board until he gets fired?

That's going to be tough to do, recruiting gets brought up as frequently as it does for a reason (it's kind of a big deal in CFB).
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby PoconoPony » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:53 pm

Burcham knows the system and is the more accurate passer in a passing offense. Burcham starts without any questions.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Donnell88 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:04 pm

Is June Jones suppose to defer to the opinion of a bunch of people who haven't attended one practice this year?
Donnell88
All-American

Postby Smu_rise » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:06 pm

B1GPonyFan wrote:I don't care what June's track record is with his career and how his offenses have looked. IMO that all goes out the window this year. His job is on the line. If he really wants to save it, he needs his best athletes on the field. For me, it needs to be Matt Davis.

Yep, I'm not a Neal Burcham guy. Regardless of the playing time and circumstances he played in last year, you can tell either he has chance to be good or he doesn't. Based on what I watched, nope. Davis is a dual threat. If plays break down, you have to have a QB who can improvise and make something out of nothing. Keeping plays alive. I've heard Davis' arm is suspect, but I've seen a lot of great athletes play QB elsewhere and find ways to win or make plays.

I have nothing to base this on but I do not think the SMU offense will resemble anything like what it did in 2009-2011.

All bets are off. June needs to win. He needs Matt Davis. If he's starts Burcham and sticks with him, then he wants out of SMU.

Just my take.

Lol. Have you ever actually seen Matt Davis play in person? He's our 3rd string QB. Where does this hype come from? :roll:
>Stay positive< >Refuse to lose<
Smu_rise
Recruit

Postby sbsmith » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:32 pm

Smu_rise wrote:Lol. Have you ever actually seen Matt Davis play in person? He's our 3rd string QB. Where does this hype come from? :roll:

The hype comes from here

http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruit ... avis-94383

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby Smu_rise » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:02 pm

sbsmith wrote:
Smu_rise wrote:Lol. Have you ever actually seen Matt Davis play in person? He's our 3rd string QB. Where does this hype come from? :roll:

The hype comes from here

http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruit ... avis-94383

Can't argue with that! Looks great on paper! And just to make my point clear, I'm not hating on Davis, but from what I've seen ON THE FIELD, he's definitely not the best option for this paticular team, RIGHT NOW. Coach Jones isn't going to try to lose on purpose, contrary to what some on this forum would have me believe. He's going to play the guy that gives us the best chance to win. As of today, it's not Matt Davis. If he's the real deal, then he'll get his shot.
>Stay positive< >Refuse to lose<
Smu_rise
Recruit

Postby footballdad » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:25 pm

Planter's Punch wrote:http://sports.yahoo.com/smu/football/recruiting/player-Traylon-Shead-84132

Haha, Touche!

One of the quickest flame outs of all time.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby B1GPonyFan » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:28 pm

Smu_rise wrote:
B1GPonyFan wrote:I don't care what June's track record is with his career and how his offenses have looked. IMO that all goes out the window this year. His job is on the line. If he really wants to save it, he needs his best athletes on the field. For me, it needs to be Matt Davis.

Just my take.

Lol. Have you ever actually seen Matt Davis play in person? He's our 3rd string QB. Where does this hype come from? :roll:

Trying to claim message board superiority is a bizarre exercise.
B1GPonyFan
Varsity

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:29 pm

BIGPonyFan wrote:I don't care what June's track record is with his career and how his offenses have looked. IMO that all goes out the window this year. His job is on the line. If he really wants to save it, he needs his best athletes on the field. For me, it needs to be Matt Davis.

Just my take.

Even though you've made it very clear multiple times you're smarter than most on this board, and you constantly patronize most posters for giving their opinion, I agree with you on this. That said, I believe most think Davis is the most talented option, even if he isn't a JJ type QB.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Next

Return to Football