PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

If June Jones wants to save his job, start Matt Davis

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: If June Jones wants to save his job, start Matt Davis

Postby B1GPonyFan » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:39 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:
BIGPonyFan wrote:I don't care what June's track record is with his career and how his offenses have looked. IMO that all goes out the window this year. His job is on the line. If he really wants to save it, he needs his best athletes on the field. For me, it needs to be Matt Davis.

Yep, I'm not a Neal Burcham guy. Regardless of the playing time and circumstances he played in last year, you can tell either he has chance to be good or he doesn't. Based on what I watched, nope. Davis is a dual threat. If plays break down, you have to have a QB who can improvise and make something out of nothing. Keeping plays alive. I've heard Davis' arm is suspect, but I've seen a lot of great athletes play QB elsewhere and find ways to win or make plays.

This will not happen with Burcham. This will happen with Davis.

I have nothing to base this on but I do not think the SMU offense will resemble anything like what it did in 2009-2011.

All bets are off. June needs to win. He needs Matt Davis. If he's starts Burcham and sticks with him, then he wants out of SMU.

Just my take.

Even though you've made it very clear multiple times you're smarter than most on this board, and you constantly patronize most posters for giving their opinion....

I think you have me confused with Stallion.
B1GPonyFan
Varsity

Postby sbsmith » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:40 pm

Planter's Punch wrote:http://sports.yahoo.com/smu/football/recruiting/player-Traylon-Shead-84132

And another one

http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruit ... Lowe-64825
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby JasonB » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:27 pm

Not to be a downer, but in order to play QB in our offense, you have to be able to hit the 15 yard out, and I heard from my A&M friends that Davis had a lot of problems with that throw under Sherman. He is going to have to be accurate, or Burcham is going to have to be pretty poor in order for him to start. But as I have said before, with more quality QBs than in the past, I think whomever is starting will have a relatively short leash.

According to the coaching staff, they like to Redshirt kids the first year, play them on second team the second, and then they compete to start the red shirt sophomore year. Or true junior if they burned a redshirt.

By that logic, Burcham, as a RS-So, should be ready to go this season.
JasonB

Postby PlanoStang » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:38 pm

LOL :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

What a mostly bunch of RASS ROLLS :!: :!: :!:
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Planter's Punch » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:01 pm

It seems like June knows the pressure is on and he cannot just let a QB struggle through a learning season. He needs to win. It is Burcham's job to lose. Why sit Burcham before he gets a shot? Clearly Davis has not run away with it in camp. Davis was highly touted recruit, but so were a lot of players that turned out to be all hype. This is Burcham's third year in the system and seems to be ahead in practice. I would love to see Davis incorporated into the offense, and given more snaps if Burcham tanks or if Baylor starts to blow us out. Sitting the only QB with experience before the first game, doesn't make sense given the lack of evidence Davis will be superior. Davis should be given the opportunity to compete, not simply anointed the starter.
Planter's Punch
All-American

Postby ponyte » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:02 pm

I am totally unqualified to make a determination. I watched on TV Burchum's play and this limited my ability to see the coverages in place prior to the snap. And I haven't seen one practice, game or other snap that Davis has taken.

Burchum was put into a difficult situation. Being the back up to the nation's total offensive leader isn't a very motivating situation so I would bet Burchum wasn't entirely mentally or physically prepared to take over the offense for 2 and a half games. So I give him a pass on last year s he probably prepared like any ordinary no chance to play backup.

And Davis is a total unknown to me.

I have to leave it up to the coaches that watch and evaluate the players to make the decisions as to who plays and who doesn't. Unfortunately guys that have coached all their lives are poor judges of talent.

I know it sucks not being the onsite expert when it comes to evaluating players. Thank goodness there are so many ponyfans that can evaluate players and let me know who should play and who shouldn't.
ponyte

Postby Planter's Punch » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:05 pm

ponyte wrote:I know it sucks not being the onsite expert when it comes to evaluating players. Thank goodness there are so many ponyfans that can evaluate players and let me know who should play and who shouldn't.

I hear drones are getting pretty cheap
Planter's Punch
All-American

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:07 pm

Speaking of drones, this is pretty cool...

http://d-news.co/AoUtY
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Johnny Utah » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:09 pm

Guarantee Neal Burcham is 4-10 in completions with 1 INT in the first quarter of the Baylor game.
Johnny Utah
Varsity

Postby smupony94 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:12 pm

Johnny Utah wrote:Guarantee Neal Burcham is 4-10 in completions with 1 INT in the first quarter of the Baylor game.
better than the gunslinger and KP
smupony94

Postby mrydel » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:13 pm

Guess they did not have enough gas to get to SMU
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:16 pm

I think there's a shot of the Bush Center
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby B1GPonyFan » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:22 pm

PlanoStang wrote:LOL :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

What a mostly bunch of RASS ROLLS :!: :!: :!:

Go for the gold. If you can't say it, you can't do it.
B1GPonyFan
Varsity

Postby jwnear » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:26 pm

sbsmith wrote:
Grant Carter wrote: Is it ok with you if they have a conversation about it without having to caveat with valid criticism of recruiting which everyone is aware of in every thread, or should we just shut the football board until he gets fired?

That's going to be tough to do, recruiting gets brought up as frequently as it does for a reason (it's kind of a big deal in CFB).

Recruits is all about system fit. That's the best way to run a successful program, especially for the non Power conference teams.

I'm using NIU as an example, because I went their and know more about that program than I currently do SMU. You're often not going to get the best available players, but you can make the most of what you have.

In the early 2000s they ran a pro style offense with downhill runners. They recruited guys like. Michael. Turner and Garrett Wolfe. In the late 2000s they switched to dual threat guys and recruited WRs to be fast and smaller. They run a lot of screens and jet sweeps, and QB runs. It made an average at best passer in Jordan Lynch pass for over 3,000 yards and over 25 TDs twice while running all over teams.

Recruit players to your system. If he wants to throw a lot, you need smaller quick lineman, a drop back quick delivery QB and solid receivers. It's going to be hard to get pro style QBs for that. Hence why Timmy Chang and colt Brennan, two super prolific QBs didn't last in the pros but dominated in his system.
jwnear

Postby ponyte » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:32 pm

Gilbert, not a small or slow QB, got killed with our smaller, inexperience Oline the first half of his first year at SMU. Yet, Gilbert was a great fit once the Oline got its act together and Gilbert learned the system. Sometimes great athletes can adjust to the system.

I would love to see JJ recruit great athletes and see if they can adjust to his system.
ponyte

PreviousNext

Return to Football