PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

If June Jones wants to save his job, start Matt Davis

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: If June Jones wants to save his job, start Matt Davis

Postby Johnny Utah » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:00 pm

Remember when we played A&M in College Station a couple of years ago with Kyle Padron at the helm? A&M had no answer for Zach Line on that first series and what did J.J. do? He got cute had Padron start throwing the ball all over the place. I still blame that game on JJ. SMU was definitely dictating that game until J.J. screwed his own players.

Perhaps we go old school against Baylor and try to establish the run in this game with Zach & Pope and let a series go by and allow Burcham to settle in and adjust to the environment...... At a minimum I just hope we don't open up with those predicable swing passes to the sidelines for 2 yards that result in a 3 and out punt or INT/turnover. Baylor knows those swing passes are coming J.J. !!!!
Johnny Utah
Varsity

Postby skurtn » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:07 pm

Johnny Utah wrote:At a minimum I just hope we don't open up with those predicable swing passes to the sidelines for 2 yards that result in a 3 and out punt or INT/turnover. Baylor knows those swing passes are coming J.J. !!!!

Fo sho...
skurtn
All-American

Postby JasonB » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:12 pm

Johnny Utah wrote:Remember when we played A&M in College Station a couple of years ago with Kyle Padron at the helm? A&M had no answer for Zach Line on that first series and what did J.J. do? He got cute had Padron start throwing the ball all over the place. I still blame that game on JJ. SMU was definitely dictating that game until J.J. screwed his own players.

Perhaps we go old school against Baylor and try to establish the run in this game with Zach & Pope and let a series go by and allow Burcham to settle in and adjust to the environment...... At a minimum I just hope we don't open up with those predicable swing passes to the sidelines for 2 yards that result in a 3 and out punt or INT/turnover. Baylor knows those swing passes are coming J.J. !!!!

We were able to run the ball, but saying that we were dictating the game is a bit of a stretch. Padron threw two bad interceptions on the first two drives... after we were down, JJ came in and played well throwing the ball, got us back into the game, and then we were overwhelmed.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Johnny Utah » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:34 pm

1st down, swing pass right for 1 yard. 2nd down, delay run for 4 yards. Third down, incomplete up the middle. 3 and out baby!!

Basically, if we are going 3 and out regardless on the first series, let's at least go three runs in a row. That way Burcham loses his pre-game jitters. Key to the first series is take the clock down a little and no turnovers....
Johnny Utah
Varsity

Postby FriscoChuck » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:42 pm

You forgot: 4th down, shank punt.
FriscoChuck
All-American

Postby Stallion » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:07 pm

You can not ESTABLISH a running game in this offense. You only succeed with the running game when you spread the field, get the defense on its heels looking for the pass and use the running game as a surprise. SMU wasn't knocking A&M off the ball-its a finesse running game and everybody knows that. Any defense can shut down the SMU running game any time it wants because they have dominant numbers in the box
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:25 pm

In year seven of June Jones' tenure, defenses should be terrified to load the box against our offense. Sadly, that may not be the case
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Stangs1970 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:33 pm

I was concerned about the QB position, but I was encouraged to learn that Neal B was co-MVP jamius Winston in the elite qb camp coming out of high school. To be there is a big thing, to be an MVP says something.
Stangs1970
Junior Varsity

Postby leopold » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:39 pm

If I remember correctly, the A&M defense played pass early on, probably leading to Padron's bad throws. The success on runs came as a result of the RnS's policy of 'taking what they give you,' catching their D unprepared for a run, and the fact the we had a) a senior laden O-line in the first game of the year, and b) one of the best fullbacks in the nation at the time. Early on the O-line did very well (I remember the commentator commenting on how they were winning the line of scrimmage battle against A&M) but later on A&M's depth and overall talent was too much for us.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby fifty » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:51 pm

Are our schemes too complex for any first year player to learn? On one hand, I hear we only have a couple plays. On the other hand, Matt Davis, Gresham, and Nwosu...will any of those guys get significant time? It just seems like no freshman or transfers ever seem to have any impact until year 2+.
fifty
Heisman

Postby PonySnob » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:28 pm

fifty wrote:Are our schemes too complex for any first year player to learn? On one hand, I hear we only have a couple plays. On the other hand, Matt Davis, Gresham, and Nwosu...will any of those guys get significant time? It just seems like no freshman or transfers ever seem to have any impact until year 2+.

Didn't June say it took several years for a QB to learn his system?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby malonish » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:33 pm

PonySnob wrote:
fifty wrote:Are our schemes too complex for any first year player to learn? On one hand, I hear we only have a couple plays. On the other hand, Matt Davis, Gresham, and Nwosu...will any of those guys get significant time? It just seems like no freshman or transfers ever seem to have any impact until year 2+.

Didn't June say it took several years for a QB to learn his system?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We're also just a recruiting class and a half away #JuneMemes :lol:
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:30 am

leopold wrote:If I remember correctly, the A&M defense played pass early on, probably leading to Padron's bad throws. The success on runs came as a result of the RnS's policy of 'taking what they give you,' catching their D unprepared for a run, and the fact the we had a) a senior laden O-line in the first game of the year, and b) one of the best fullbacks in the nation at the time. Early on the O-line did very well (I remember the commentator commenting on how they were winning the line of scrimmage battle against A&M) but later on A&M's depth and overall talent was too much for us.

That and the center at the time Brad Keishnick I believe, dominated the A&M NG. A&M was really surprised about how physical our o-line was and ZL was as a runner.

As Stallion said, because we aren't going to move to a 2 TE set with a fullback, if the defense wants to stop the run,t hey will be a ble to put numbers in the box and do it. The key to us being able to run the ball is to spread the field enough that it is man-on-man inside.
JasonB

Postby footballdad » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:24 am

Stangs1970 wrote:I was concerned about the QB position, but I was encouraged to learn that Neal B was co-MVP jamius Winston in the elite qb camp coming out of high school. To be there is a big thing, to be an MVP says something.

Many moons ago, highly irrelevant to his success or failure today. I would assume a large percentage of these Elite 11 kids never pan out. Would be interesting to go back and track the careers of these guys since the inception of the contest.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby sbsmith » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:35 am

footballdad wrote:
Many moons ago, highly irrelevant to his success or failure today. I would assume a large percentage of these Elite 11 kids never pan out. Would be interesting to go back and track the careers of these guys since the inception of the contest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESPN_RISE_Elite_11#1999
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

PreviousNext

Return to Football