PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

If June Jones wants to save his job, start Matt Davis

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: If June Jones wants to save his job, start Matt Davis

Postby Junior » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:44 am

sbsmith wrote:
footballdad wrote:
Many moons ago, highly irrelevant to his success or failure today. I would assume a large percentage of these Elite 11 kids never pan out. Would be interesting to go back and track the careers of these guys since the inception of the contest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESPN_RISE_Elite_11#1999
yep. That was interesting.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyPlayer4 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:27 pm

JasonB wrote:
leopold wrote:If I remember correctly, the A&M defense played pass early on, probably leading to Padron's bad throws. The success on runs came as a result of the RnS's policy of 'taking what they give you,' catching their D unprepared for a run, and the fact the we had a) a senior laden O-line in the first game of the year, and b) one of the best fullbacks in the nation at the time. Early on the O-line did very well (I remember the commentator commenting on how they were winning the line of scrimmage battle against A&M) but later on A&M's depth and overall talent was too much for us.

That and the center at the time Brad Keishnick I believe, dominated the A&M NG. A&M was really surprised about how physical our o-line was and ZL was as a runner.

As Stallion said, because we aren't going to move to a 2 TE set with a fullback, if the defense wants to stop the run,t hey will be a ble to put numbers in the box and do it. The key to us being able to run the ball is to spread the field enough that it is man-on-man inside.

The late great Keishnick's last year was something like 2005 I believe. I think the center was Blake McJunkin.
PonyPlayer4
Hall of Famer

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:05 pm

“@DeionSandersJr: Freshman/transfer initiation! Gotta jump in the pool from 4 stories high! dcj_7 @that_davisguy #SMU… http://Instagram.com/p/r7USi3pp7Z/”
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby footballdad » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:16 pm

sbsmith wrote:
footballdad wrote:
Many moons ago, highly irrelevant to his success or failure today. I would assume a large percentage of these Elite 11 kids never pan out. Would be interesting to go back and track the careers of these guys since the inception of the contest.

Great Info! Seems like quite of bit of success thru 2008.

2009 was a nightmare group. Zero NFL draftees and 8 of the 12 transferred multiple times.
2010 little success & no-name guys outside of Bridgewater, Walsh and Golson
2011 Winston the only guy. Burcham & Voytik the only others even vying for a starting spot.
2012 Hackenberg the man. Jury still out on the rest.

You'd think with all the time and effort and resources that have been put into this Elite 11 thing by ESPN & Dilfer & staff you'd see more successful guys, not less.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby JasonB » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:54 pm

PonyPlayer4 wrote:
JasonB wrote:
leopold wrote:If I remember correctly, the A&M defense played pass early on, probably leading to Padron's bad throws. The success on runs came as a result of the RnS's policy of 'taking what they give you,' catching their D unprepared for a run, and the fact the we had a) a senior laden O-line in the first game of the year, and b) one of the best fullbacks in the nation at the time. Early on the O-line did very well (I remember the commentator commenting on how they were winning the line of scrimmage battle against A&M) but later on A&M's depth and overall talent was too much for us.

That and the center at the time Brad Keishnick I believe, dominated the A&M NG. A&M was really surprised about how physical our o-line was and ZL was as a runner.

As Stallion said, because we aren't going to move to a 2 TE set with a fullback, if the defense wants to stop the run,t hey will be a ble to put numbers in the box and do it. The key to us being able to run the ball is to spread the field enough that it is man-on-man inside.

The late great Keishnick's last year was something like 2005 I believe. I think the center was Blake McJunkin.

Good call, McJunkin you are correct.
JasonB

Postby malonish » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:07 pm

JasonB wrote:
PonyPlayer4 wrote:

Good call, McJunkin you are correct.

McJunkin also could have very well saved that one guy's life when he covered his head up
after the helmet came off.

Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RGV Pony » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:23 pm

Damn look at how open Holman was on that
RGV Pony

Postby Stangs1970 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:26 pm

Pretty good list of qb's.
Stangs1970
Junior Varsity

Postby JasonB » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:46 pm

footballdad wrote:
sbsmith wrote:
footballdad wrote:

Great Info! Seems like quite of bit of success thru 2008.

2009 was a nightmare group. Zero NFL draftees and 8 of the 12 transferred multiple times.
2010 little success & no-name guys outside of Bridgewater, Walsh and Golson
2011 Winston the only guy. Burcham & Voytik the only others even vying for a starting spot.
2012 Hackenberg the man. Jury still out on the rest.

You'd think with all the time and effort and resources that have been put into this Elite 11 thing by ESPN & Dilfer & staff you'd see more successful guys, not less.

2009 and on still have players in school, so the jury is still out. Track record is that the Elite 11 is a pretty good indicator of some level of success in college.
JasonB

Postby B1GPonyFan » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:49 am

The OL is garbage. Worst I've seen in years. Couldn't hold blocks for one second. Baylor never blitzed.

That said, you cant tell if you have something with Neal Burcham or not. There is nothing in Neal Burcham's game to suggest this is going to be any better. He has no arm strength. He's not a leader. You don't see the players rally behind him. There is no body language to say I can do this despite the chaos that's out there. He's not a competitor.

Meanwhile the excuses for Burcham are ridiculous.

1. Well it was his first start at Houston.

2. Well the ice/snow/cold against UCF made it hard for him to do anything.

3. Well Baylor's DL had him on the run because the OL was horrible

When does it end and reality set in, folks?

If you're making excuses for Burcham you're just not willing to admit this is done. Neal Burcham is not a Division I quarterback. THIS EXPERIMENT NEEDS TO END.

Matt Davis may not have great tools to play quarterback -- he made a horrible decision on the pick -- but I saw a kid who wants to compete and lead. At this point SMU needs a competitor to play that position. Burcham won't ever be that guy.
B1GPonyFan
Varsity

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:24 am

I still think we will see both QB's for a while.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby B1GPonyFan » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:31 am

I have no doubt we will. And that will continue to lead to the futility of this season.
B1GPonyFan
Varsity

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:34 am

So Baylor never blitzed?
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:38 am

I think Bennett did us a solid. I still root for that guy. He's a very good defensive coordinator.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby PonySnob » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:03 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:I think Bennett did us a solid. I still root for that guy. He's a very good defensive coordinator.

And it looks like he might not have forgotten as much football as June has!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

PreviousNext

Return to Football