PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Hawaii Football Could Be 'Going Away'

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Hawaii Football Could Be 'Going Away'

Postby Water Pony » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:43 am

Being Private, we can absorb losses and brand, if we wish to subsidize our FB, BB and other sports well into the future. (Not desirable, but probably inevitable.)

However, Public Schools will be in a more difficult position. I just read that Kansas State (with the smallest Athletic Budget in the Big12) runs a deficit.

In the end, College Sports will be a financial challenge for virtually all schools, including the majority of the Power 5 schools with exception of the really Big Boys (Alabama, MI, OSU, USC, LSU, Auburn, FSU, ND, etc.

My fear is that the multi-million HC salaries, ESPN money and Power Conference politics have moved us beyond any reasonable ability to rein in this direction. My love of college sports is at risk and feel the loss will be irreversible and fatally for many schools.
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyKai » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:57 pm

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-footba ... r-programs

Autonomy will save more football programs than it kills

Coming so soon after the O’Bannon decision and Division I governance structure vote, Hawaii’s threat to drop football looks like a bad omen. With the big schools separating themselves and fewer lifelines to the major conferences available, it stands to reason that more schools will look at Hawaii’s situation and ask if they are headed in the same direction.

But Hawaii is different than other mid-major FBS schools because it was not just the athletic department losing money. The football program itself was not profitable. One of its revenue sports that is supposed to support the rest of the athletic department was not even pulling its own weight let alone the volleyball and softball teams......
PonyKai
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PoconoPony » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:07 pm

Water Pony wrote:Being Private, we can absorb losses and brand, if we wish to subsidize our FB, BB and other sports well into the future. (Not desirable, but probably inevitable.)

However, Public Schools will be in a more difficult position. I just read that Kansas State (with the smallest Athletic Budget in the Big12) runs a deficit.

In the end, College Sports will be a financial challenge for virtually all schools, including the majority of the Power 5 schools with exception of the really Big Boys (Alabama, MI, OSU, USC, LSU, Auburn, FSU, ND, etc.

My fear is that the multi-million HC salaries, ESPN money and Power Conference politics have moved us beyond any reasonable ability to rein in this direction. My love of college sports is at risk and feel the loss will be irreversible and fatally for many schools.

Two years ago only 12 Div. I programs broke even or made some money. All others ran a deficit and some huge deficits. Maryland will take years to dig out of debt despite the anticipation of Big 10 money. Last year they dropped 7 minor sports and I believe they only have 5 men's sports.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Previous

Return to Football