PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2014-2015 jersey reveal

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 2014-2015 jersey reveal

Postby mrydel » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:40 am

Not only is blue our primary color in my opinion, but Mex, if you will recall our savior coach had us wearing blue in his initial season. Why did he do that if red is our color? He changed because he could not win a game and blamed it on the color.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:41 am

Mexmustang is just upset because the AD he [deleted] on from Day 1 and never gave a chance keeps making the right moves and is perhaps the first AD in a very long time that actually seems to listen to the alumni and get long overdue fan requests done

Hey look around Mexmustang-the new uniforms are almost unanimously popular with the fans-so I guess you must be wrong again. The uniforms are also inspired by the SMU uniforms from the 1980s, with some features from 1960s and even 1940s. SMU fans identify with BLUE uniforms and a white helmet with a red mustang
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby lwjr » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:11 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:Mrydel exposing his ignorance when it comes to fashion

For road games we should always wear all white

Don't you know after Labor Day you do not wear all white. :D
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby PlanoStang » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:31 am

Do the red helmet for a game with the blue jersey, and grey pants :!:

I've missed that uni since Hayden Fry got fired my first year at SMU.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU1523 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:37 am

Before my critique, I would like to say thank you to those at the athletic department for listening to your fanbase! I do like the new uniforms, but I do have a list of things that could have made them better. I have done a comparison of what the uniforms are now and what I would have liked them to be.

ECM, hit the nail on the head for most of the changes I have shown in the mockup below, such as:

-Colored Nike Logos
-Consistent Mustang Logo on Pants
-Wider Helmet Stripe

But, there is one thing that drives me absolutely crazy about sloppy design and that is not being consistent. Please note that typeface for numbering is different on the blue jersey, compared to the white and red one. That is terrible. I understand teams have different typefaces for different jerseys (i.e. Dallas Cowboys), but these uniforms are virtually the same template, just different colors. The typefaces and logos should be and look consistent among all uniforms. I saw where SID said they were working on striping for the white pants. That is good, I just hope they are the same stripe pattern as the gray ones. Once again, consistency is key!!!

Other than that, they are still a huge upgrade and overall they look great! Thanks for listening!

SMU1523
Heisman

Postby Treadway21 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:39 am

Stallion wrote:Mexmustang is just upset because the AD he [deleted] on from Day 1 and never gave a chance keeps making the right moves and is perhaps the first AD in a very long time that actually seems to listen to the alumni and get long overdue fan requests done

Hey look around Mexmustang-the new uniforms are almost unanimously popular with the fans-so I guess you must be wrong again. The uniforms are also inspired by the SMU uniforms from the 1980s, with some features from 1960s and even 1940s. SMU fans identify with BLUE uniforms and a white helmet with a red mustang

I do not get the Hart bashing. He is active involved and good at marketing. We haven't seen any complaints about billboards, season ticket packages, the jersey reveal, and the other BS we had in the past.

He listens and makes adjustments within reason. He answers, tho it may not be the answer we want, at least he engages the fans, and particularly the diehard fans. He has cleaned up all the game day presentation and made basketball game presentation the best in Dallas.

I think his only coaching hire was Josh Gregory, who had done a great job until whatever happened happened.

I think all the things he has done have been great for the programs and for SMU. I hope he sticks around for many years to come.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby lwjr » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:56 am

mrydel wrote:Hey Mex. We wore blue in my era and we were not a pay for play team. We had players get some money but only in the same fashion as everyone else. We were blue and blue was the primary color. The only red was our helmet.

As a Kid I remember SMU wearing blue jerseys and gray pants in the Chuck Hixon era and into the early 70's. Other than the Dave Smith Uniforms with red jerseys/Sliver pants and the first few years of the Ron Myer days and the nasty looking Nike uniforms in the mid 2000's. SMU has always worn blue.
I have seen photos from the 40 and 50's and SMU wore the Red with tan pants, though.
Someone correct me if my memory is playing tricks on me.
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:13 am

SMU1523 wrote:But, there is one thing that drives me absolutely crazy about sloppy design and that is not being consistent. Please note that typeface for numbering is different on the blue jersey, compared to the white and red one. That is terrible.

I am 100% with you on consistency. (stripes, outlines, etc.)

I would guess the 18 jersey is from last year.

Hopefully, all of the blue jerseys we wear on the field will be consistent, because if the team is wearing two typefaces at the same time then yes, that would be terrible.
Last edited by DanFreibergerForHeisman on Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby lwjr » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:19 am

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:
SMU1523 wrote:But, there is one thing that drives me absolutely crazy about sloppy design and that is not being consistent. Please note that typeface for numbering is different on the blue jersey, compared to the white and red one. That is terrible.

I am 100% with you on consistency. (stripes, outlines, etc.)

The blue jersey with 1 does have the same typeface as the red and white. I would guess the 18 jersey is from last year.

Hopefully, all of the blue jerseys we wear on the field will be consistent, because if the team is wearing two typefaces at the same time then yes, that would be terrible.

I wonder if they are the Blue jerseys from last year they will be using. It would help save some money. Maybe SID can't help answer that question.
Not that big of deal to me, though.
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby JasonB » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:31 am

I think the jerseys look good. I also think we should wear red against A&M because it is close enough with the A&M maroon to upset their fans and we should wear blue against TCU to clash with their purple.

Against everyone else, we should wear the opposite color of their fan base because the number of our fans will be greater than theirs. Blue against Cincy, Blue against Houston, Either against USF (I prefer Blue), and Red against Memphis.

What I don't want to happen is for us to wear Blue against A&M and encourage a blue out when the sorority girls are going to be in white and our color gets outnumbered in the stadium.

But that is just my opinion :).
JasonB

Postby Stallion » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:34 am

WTF?

Establish the SMU brand and let other schools worry about their brand

You seriously think SMU should determine their brand by what other schools wear? Wow
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby BIGHORSE » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:37 am

SMU1523 wrote:Before my critique, I would like to say thank you to those at the athletic department for listening to your fanbase! I do like the new uniforms, but I do have a list of things that could have made them better. I have done a comparison of what the uniforms are now and what I would have liked them to be.

ECM, hit the nail on the head for most of the changes I have shown in the mockup below, such as:

-Colored Nike Logos
-Consistent Mustang Logo on Pants
-Wider Helmet Stripe

But, there is one thing that drives me absolutely crazy about sloppy design and that is not being consistent. Please note that typeface for numbering is different on the blue jersey, compared to the white and red one. That is terrible. I understand teams have different typefaces for different jerseys (i.e. Dallas Cowboys), but these uniforms are virtually the same template, just different colors. The typefaces and logos should be and look consistent among all uniforms. I saw where SID said they were working on striping for the white pants. That is good, I just hope they are the same stripe pattern as the gray ones. Once again, consistency is key!!!

Other than that, they are still a huge upgrade and overall they look great! Thanks for listening!

The wider stripe helmet looks much better.
BIGHORSE
Hall of Famer

Postby blackoutpony » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:12 pm

1523 should have a permanent job in the Athletic Department designing uniforms.

The wider stripe loos so much better. It's also amazing how much more the blue swoosh "pops". I honestly didn't even notice them before.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PK » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:51 pm

blackoutpony wrote:1523 should have a permanent job in the Athletic Department designing uniforms.

^^^^YES^^^^ 8)
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:38 am

I believe Orsini was the one that brought back the white helmets not June.
I don't think June really cares about many SMU tradition.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

PreviousNext

Return to Football