PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

JJ names Burcham the starter

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: JJ names Burcham the starter

Postby JasonB » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:07 am

I'm not saying I agree with it :). But almost every coach in the country closes practice or certain parts of practice so that there is at least some element of surprise. IMHO it is kind of ridiculous because after one week it is on tape for everyone to see anyway. But I understand them wanting to game plan. Especially when you are huge road underdogs in your first game - anything you can keep in the back pocket is nice.

Wasn't trying to be harsh on you or anything, I just don't want them to close practice to the parents because they are afraid of leaks...
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Treadway21 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:19 am

footballdad wrote:
B1GPonyFan wrote:I think the paranoia here is a bit much. Ok, he talked about running the option, well darn shoot, no D1 college team has ever seen it and will be absolutely blown away from someone using the option.

And Matt Davis, with his history of being a dual threat quarterback, would never ever give the impression that should he come into any game that he might throw it or...I don't know, run it.

Do you really think that every coaching staff in the country limits itself in the way it breaks down players or breaks down teams. There's nothing in this post from Dad that is of dire consequences to the SMU gameplan.

Did Dad actually say how the option plays ran with tendencies of the offensive linemen or what Davis did when he saw the DE crash down? No.

Chill out.

^^^^^^^^^^^ Haha exactly. I think I'm done posting guys, here's to the players performing above expectations this year and reaching their full potential . See ya'll in Waco.

June might want to build that IPF and close practices to the world since it's so difficult to figure out the same 10 plays he runs over and over and over. A 4 star dual-threat QB running the option and zone-read.......super secret stuff.

FBDad, keep posting please. It is great to get the perspective of one who has some skin in the game. Your posts are good info - so hope you stick around.

Hope they actually use Davis. I think Burcham will be fine, but having another option other than the draw play and bubble screen would be good.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby Grant Carter » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:41 am

B1GPonyFan wrote:
footballdad wrote:
B1GPonyFan wrote:I think the paranoia here is a bit much. Ok, he talked about running the option, well darn shoot, no D1 college team has ever seen it and will be absolutely blown away from someone using the option.

And Matt Davis, with his history of being a dual threat quarterback, would never ever give the impression that should he come into any game that he might throw it or...I don't know, run it.

Do you really think that every coaching staff in the country limits itself in the way it breaks down players or breaks down teams. There's nothing in this post from Dad that is of dire consequences to the SMU gameplan.

Did Dad actually say how the option plays ran with tendencies of the offensive linemen or what Davis did when he saw the DE crash down? No.

Chill out.

^^^^^^^^^^^ Haha exactly. I think I'm done posting guys, here's to the players performing above expectations this year and reaching their full potential . See ya'll in Waco.

June might want to build that IPF and close practices to the world since it's so difficult to figure out the same 10 plays he runs over and over and over. A 4 star dual-threat QB running the option and zone-read.......super secret stuff.

Well the absurd-filled gang of 30 strikes again.

I would love for you to list the posters you include in this gang some time.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyPlayer4 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:01 am

I was late to the party and didn't get to read Dad's post dangit!
PonyPlayer4
Hall of Famer

Postby Junior » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:09 am

PonyPlayer4 wrote:I was late to the party and didn't get to read Dad's post dangit!

Something about our dual-threat QB transfer running some option plays in practice. Pretty harmless stuff, actually.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby mustangfan01 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:15 am

I don't understand the undying support for Matt Davis. Neil played fine for a RS-Freshman having to step in due to injuries. I would be far more skeptical if our RS-Sophomore, ex Elite 11 Co-MVP, quarterback got unseated by a Redshirt-Transfer-Backup JC who has been in this system for a few months.

I'm excited to see how we look in Denton.
mustangfan01
Varsity

Postby Treadway21 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:32 am

I think guys just want him to see the field since we have heard so much about him. I like some of what I saw last year from Burcham. Once he settled in and before he got knocked out he was good. I just hope JJ runs Davis for the kind of plays that got Burcham a concussion in the UCF game. And maybe on some short yardage plays.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby Krieg » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:23 am

PonyPlayer4 wrote:I was late to the party and didn't get to read Dad's post dangit!

Here you go!

It's on our site already anyway, you may as well keep it here.

Interesting the timing, as Davis took the bulk of first string snaps yesterday and was even seen running a variety of option run plays. Yes, the good ole option pitch.

No doubt Burcham starts, but it seems June is definitely working the chalk board and we may see some offensive creativity yet. Won't actually believe it till we see it on the field, but who knows?
footballdad
Recruit

Krieg
Scout Team

Postby ponydawg » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:24 am

They posted it over on Baylor Fans if you want to read it there......they don't seemed to worried though.......

http://www.baylorfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278459

Edit.....nevermind.
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Nacho » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:34 am

i wish we were good enough to beat them.
phil bennet does give us some hope.
Nacho

Postby Stallion » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:38 am

You'd have to be a pretty dumb coach not to prepare for some type of option from Davis. These guys at Baylor recruited him and know his skill set.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby White Helmet » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:40 am

If we are playing Phil Bennett maybe we should just run the triple option, I remember 0-12 Navy just gashing us with the FB.
White Helmet
Hall of Famer

Postby sbsmith » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:14 pm

mustangfan01 wrote:I don't understand the undying support for Matt Davis.

Stargazing

http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruit ... avis-94383
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby ponydawg » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:23 pm

Chad Morris recruited him at Clemson. Will be interesting to see how Morris uses him next year at SMU.
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyPlayer4 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:32 pm

ponydawg wrote:Chad Morris recruited him at Clemson. Will be interesting to see how Morris uses him next year at SMU.

Love it.
PonyPlayer4
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football