PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Official: SMU vs. Baylor Thread

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Official: SMU vs. Baylor Thread

Postby PonySnob » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:22 am

Guessing our offense is ranked last in just about every category after week 1.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:23 am

the only part that was really embarrassing was the Oline breakdown. If you stop for one second and put dislike for JJ aside, this is the same (actually improved) Baylor team that put up 73 on West Virginia, 71 on Iowa State, 59 on Kansas, 63 on Texas Tech and 41-12 blowout of OU last year. Not saying our defense played great or is great, but they battled out there and didn't embarrass themselves or us. As for Petty overthrowing receivers because he was hurt and so the good plays we made don't count, how did he get hurt? I think it was because we banged him a few times. Some credit to our D for hitting him! I too was completely disgusted with the offense, but that is probably something JJ can patch up so i wouldn't give up on the whole season after last night.
Hoop Fan

Postby jpe747 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:52 pm

Hoop Fan wrote:the only part that was really embarrassing was the Oline breakdown. If you stop for one second and put dislike for JJ aside, this is the same (actually improved) Baylor team that put up 73 on West Virginia, 71 on Iowa State, 59 on Kansas, 63 on Texas Tech and 41-12 blowout of OU last year. Not saying our defense played great or is great, but they battled out there and didn't embarrass themselves or us. As for Petty overthrowing receivers because he was hurt and so the good plays we made don't count, how did he get hurt? I think it was because we banged him a few times. Some credit to our D for hitting him! I too was completely disgusted with the offense, but that is probably something JJ can patch up so i wouldn't give up on the whole season after last night.

Agreed. SMU offensive line might as well have stayed on the sidelines. The qb's didn't have time to throw and I'm sure some of the drops by the receivers were caused by the speed and strength of the Baylor coverage. Our defense did a pretty good job against a scoring machine. Most of the points in the first half came from short drives caused by our offense not moving the ball and giving Baylor a short field. Even so Baylor had to resort to several field goal attempts.
jpe747
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:56 pm

No reason for name calling and stuff, but on that one play, Line completely missed his guy and the tackle missed his guy. I have no idea who won the race to the QB, but it is kind of irrelevant, they both missed their blocks.

As far as the defense is concerned, with how inept the offense was and the scores Baylor put up last year, it really is kind of remarkable we didn't give up more points. 45 points on 16 possessions isn't bad against that offense. And they kept a lot of starters in on offense in the third quarter (except QB and 1 WR) against our 2nd and 3rd string defense.
JasonB

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:15 pm

As said in another thread Petty missed several TD passes and the backup QB missed some long passes well. But whatever the case we'll find out against UNT if we can beat a team that did not perform very well on their first week as well.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:38 pm

Rebel10 wrote:As said in another thread Petty missed several TD passes and the backup QB missed some long passes well. But whatever the case we'll find out against UNT if we can beat a team that did not perform very well on their first week as well.

agree, we will find out. Petty missing targets was either because he was too pumped up from adrenaline (which worked in favor of Baylor in every other part of the game) or it was because we hit him hard a few times, or both. My view, either way it was part of the game, and not just something you can dismiss. Could we have lost worse IF they made a few more plays? Yes, obviously, just like Iowa State lost to them 71-7 last year. Its a loss, its over, and it will be part of the body of work of this season, whatever that will be.
Hoop Fan

Postby mrydel » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:52 pm

Thank you. Everyone keeps saying how we should have lost worse because of bad passes. Well not many QBs make all of their throws. We could have lost by 70 or with a little bit of difference it might not have been as bad. It was what it was.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:46 pm

from the "how far we have fallen department"...after winning the last 11 games against SMU, Baylor has now taken a 38-37 lead in the all-time series, with 7 games played to a tie
Charleston Pony

Postby lwjr » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:04 pm

Baylor quarterback Bryce Petty has 2 cracked transverse processes in back

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/colleg ... in-back.ec
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:12 pm

Looks like both SMU and UNT hurt their opposing QB's.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby CenTXpony » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:19 am

PlanoStang wrote:SMU 59 Baylor 52 :shock: Bear's porous D returns as Bennett's lost 7 seniors, and only returns
3 starters on defense.

Line, P. has 150 yards mimicking Zach's break out during second year as a starter :!: It opens
up our passing game for 360 yards.

Due to Baylor over confidence, our D comes up with 2 pick sixes, and a fumble recovery
returned to inside the Baylor 10. We score 6 2 plays later :!:

Wake me up I'm dreamin.

Have you woken from your wet dream yet?
CenTXpony
Heisman

Previous

Return to Football