PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Rgiii statute?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Rgiii statute?

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:03 pm

He's all hype. Agree with caleengstang here, if that's all they have to sell it may not mean much in a year or two.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:04 pm

yeah - UT, OU and OSU have to be wondering if they aren't going to be watching Baylor win this thing for about the next 5 yrs.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Rgiii statute?

Postby PonySnob » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:05 pm

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:He's all hype. Agree with caleengstang here, if that's all they have to sell it may not mean much in a year or two.

What do we have to sell? Totally irrelevant in football for better part of the last 30 years?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:17 pm

We have a history to sell. If you don't believe that than is jones right because he has all sorts of excuses? If we truly believe we don't have anything to sell than just shut down the program.

LB had even less to sell and don't give me the hs that it's easier to rebuild a bb program because there are plenty of precedents in each when you have a HC that gives a damn
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby whitwiki » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:25 pm

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:We have a history to sell. If you don't believe that than is jones right because he has all sorts of excuses? If we truly believe we don't have anything to sell than just shut down the program.

LB had even less to sell and don't give me the hs that it's easier to rebuild a bb program because there are plenty of precedents in each when you have a HC that gives a damn

18 year old kids don't care about some white guy from 100 years ago.
whitwiki
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:27 pm

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:We have a history to sell. If you don't believe that than is jones right because he has all sorts of excuses? If we truly believe we don't have anything to sell than just shut down the program.

can't compare the bball challenge to the football challenge. LB had plenty to see because the Big East/AAC is a strong bball conference but can't say the same for football. Give LB credit; he came in and hustled for talent whereas JJ thought they would flock to him. Very different styles and work ethic, that's for sure
Charleston Pony

Postby CalallenStang » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:01 pm

PonySnob wrote:
CalallenStang wrote:
LA_Mustang wrote:Okay, not sure your point then.

Glorifying someone who could make a huge mistake (whether intentional or not) and bring shame to your entire university/organization is spending money to take a huge risk with only a small reward

Ever seen Clements Hall on the SMU campus?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah. One difference: that is the result of being given huge sums of money
CalallenStang

Postby couch 'em » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:56 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:

can't compare the bball challenge to the football challenge. LB had plenty to see because the Big East/AAC is a strong bball conference but can't say the same for football. Give LB credit; he came in and hustled for talent whereas JJ thought they would flock to him. Very different styles and work ethic, that's for sure

Argument is valid if talking apples to apples: LB has us being talked about as a national power. In football we just need to get to non-embarassing. No reason we can't do that.
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby dr rc » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:09 pm

Its a bit early for RG3 to get a statue considering he has only been gone for a little over 2 years. I don't really have a problem with it though.

What I DO have an issue with is the fact that RG3 got a statue before Mike Singletary. Talk about snubbing an all time Baylor great.
dr rc
Varsity

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:10 pm

Tonight's game would have been played at Floyd Casey if it weren't for RG3
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Krieg » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:07 am

whitwiki wrote:

18 year old kids don't care about some white guy from 100 years ago.

This. You have to sell them a vision of a present that is quickly building toward a brighter future. Kids don't care about players that played before they were born. Briles didn't build our team off of Singletary, Abercrombie, Trull, etc. What's that, you haven't heard of all of those? Exactly. They were great when they played (Trull was inducted into the HOF last year, too) but they played before any recruits were born and in Trull's case before their parents were born.
Krieg
Scout Team

Postby Krieg » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:09 am

dr rc wrote:Its a bit early for RG3 to get a statue considering he has only been gone for a little over 2 years. I don't really have a problem with it though.

What I DO have an issue with is the fact that RG3 got a statue before Mike Singletary. Talk about snubbing an all time Baylor great.

He got a statue because he won the Heisman. He is the only Baylor player with a statue on campus because he's the only player to win a Heisman.
Krieg
Scout Team

Postby Stallion » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:51 am

I have no problem this-RGIII was perhaps the most transformational players in my lifetime and one of the truly all-time great players I have witnessed

Eric
Earl
Singletary
RGIII
Vince Young
Last edited by Stallion on Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby mr. pony » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:59 am

JJ liked it. He had a sculpter there taking notes for his.
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:23 am

CalallenStang wrote:Putting up a statue of someone that is alive is asking for trouble. See Paterno, Joe

C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football