PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

UNT game becomes very important

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: UNT game becomes very important

Postby RyanSMU98 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:48 am

I'm with SMU 86 that this was far worse than I expected. I had no illusions about our chances against Baylor (except for the blind optimism that comes with the first week of "anything can happen"), but 67 total yards of offense?? Baylor had more penalty yards than we managed to get together in the whole game. There's bad losses, and then there was last night: no fight, and an almost acceptance that we didn't belong on the same field. I didn't expect that. I have no expectations either way against NTSU or anyone else from here on out; this team plays leaderless, uninterested, non-competitive football. They reflect the attitude of their head coach, and we better all stock up on alcohol because it's going to be an embarrassingly bumpy ride.
"I don't think anyone around the country has any idea how good we are going to be." - Coach Justin Stepp

GO MUSTANGS!!!!
RyanSMU98
Heisman

Postby B1GPonyFan » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:59 am

About as uncompetitive as it gets
B1GPonyFan
Varsity

Postby gostangs » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:02 am

A&M could be on par with the post death penalty days when ND was running out of bounds Didn't think I would ever see that again.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyte » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:06 am

Look on the bright side, it will be the second game in a row where SMU has played to a sold out stadium. You know after last night every bile green wearing NSTU fan in the region is gonna go to the SMU game.
ponyte

Postby MeanGreen90 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:01 pm

We found out a couple of things about UNT this week. First, our defense is again solid and will punch you freaking hard in the mouth. Perhaps you remember our DC Skladany from his UCF days. He has worked miracles.

David Ash won't play next week. We concussed him. We will bring the pain.

We have no idea if we have a legit FBS QB on our roster. That is our major problem at this point. Expect us to run the ball 45 plus times against you guys. OL should be our strength, but they were destroyed by UT's very talented DL, so who freaking knows.

This game could very well end 6-3.

Don't be disheartened by the Baylor loss. The play at another level, just like UT. I'm expecting a very competitive game on Saturday.
MeanGreen90
Recruit

Postby SMU2007 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:05 pm

In typical smu fashion, our measuring stick is against the crap of the ncaa. No, the UNT game is not "very important". We are irrelevant. Who cares
SMU2007

Postby Donnell88 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:07 pm

RyanSMU98 wrote:I'm with SMU 86 that this was far worse than I expected. I had no illusions about our chances against Baylor (except for the blind optimism that comes with the first week of "anything can happen"), but 67 total yards of offense?? Baylor had more penalty yards than we managed to get together in the whole game. There's bad losses, and then there was last night: no fight, and an almost acceptance that we didn't belong on the same field. I didn't expect that. I have no expectations either way against NTSU or anyone else from here on out; this team plays leaderless, uninterested, non-competitive football. They reflect the attitude of their head coach, and we better all stock up on alcohol because it's going to be an embarrassingly bumpy ride.

Actually, despite invariably being backed up into terrible field position, I thought the defence showed a lot of fight. Yes, at times there were breakdowns in the secondary, but I thought they tackled with a lot of enthusiasm.
Donnell88
All-American

Postby Glenn Sosbee » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:08 pm

I didn't see much enthusiasm at all last night. I saw a team that looked scared. I saw a coach that looked like he could care less about anything, as usual. I can no longer defend the guy. He just oozes apathy and I think that is beginning to carry over to the football players. This is the first time I sensed the team emulating their head coach, and man that is extremely disturbing. They just weren't fired up at all. No energy whatsoever, it was sickening.

We just simply were not prepared for last night and I don't think we are prepared for the season as a whole. We are going to get our hides tanned in Denton, you can take that to the bank and it wouldn't surprise me if it takes 5 or 6 games to even score a lousy touchdown. I saw nothing last night that would indicate otherwise.

This will be it for June Jones and hey, it's time. Better start putting that short list together immediately.
Pony P-1
Glenn Sosbee
All-American

Postby CoxMustangFan » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:25 pm

Glenn Sosbee wrote:This will be it for June Jones and hey, it's time. Better start putting that short list together immediately.

I'm a big fan of Mike Norvell. I really think this is a guy SMU can get and will take SMU to the next level. Born to recruit. Born to coach.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby couch 'em » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:25 pm

Glad to see the holdouts coming around to what was discovered 4 years ago
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:29 pm

Still hard to believe we are talking about a close game with UNT considering how bad they were just a few years ago.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Previous

Return to Football