PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

JJ Comments

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: JJ Comments

Postby Junior » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:38 pm

couch 'em wrote:We could call Mumme or run anything else we want - veer, double wing, split T, west coat, who cares. We don't have the talent to do anything against Baylor

I think we should just take a knee each offensive snap. That way, we only lose 2 to 3 yards per play.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Junior » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:39 pm

Plus, it would keep the clock running.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby JasonB » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:20 pm

mrydel wrote:
JasonB wrote:I missed that live, but what was apparent on those plays is that the safeties played inside the receiver and were caught flat footed. Even if those guys had been bumped, the safeties didn't pick them up until they were 20 yards downfield and still wouldn't have caught them flat footed.

But the timing of the QB changes. I know you are against hitting in football. but Sanders should have chucked the receiver at the line to disrupt the pattern. That is football and it was a missed play by Sanders. Granted we cannot run with their receivers but I will not put that play all on Greenbauer.

I have never, ever indicated I was against hitting in football.

I have made one single point, every time people say we don't hit in practice, and that is we hit in practice but don't take players to the ground.

I have no idea if not tackling in practice had an impact on the game yesterday. Cox had a missed tackle, but that is the only one I saw. The other plays were made by better, faster players on Baylor.

If you are saying that Sanders should have tackled him at the line of scrimmage, then I completely get your smart-a55 point. Otherwise, HG was so flat-footed when the receiver came his way that even if the guy had been bumped 20 yards earlier and was running backwards he would have sailed past HG.
JasonB

Postby smupony94 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:27 pm

June_bug_is_out_of_charecter
smupony94

Postby Ikus » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:44 pm

Stallion wrote:I think SMU's front defensive 7 was somewhat competitive against the level of competition. I have no confidence in any DB on our team against quality competition. I think they got lucky as hell tonite

I'm interested to see how the secondary looks when Horace and JR get back. We can use them.
Ikus
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:49 am

JasonB wrote:
mrydel wrote:
JasonB wrote:I missed that live, but what was apparent on those plays is that the safeties played inside the receiver and were caught flat footed. Even if those guys had been bumped, the safeties didn't pick them up until they were 20 yards downfield and still wouldn't have caught them flat footed.

But the timing of the QB changes. I know you are against hitting in football. but Sanders should have chucked the receiver at the line to disrupt the pattern. That is football and it was a missed play by Sanders. Granted we cannot run with their receivers but I will not put that play all on Greenbauer.

I have never, ever indicated I was against hitting in football.

I have made one single point, every time people say we don't hit in practice, and that is we hit in practice but don't take players to the ground.

I have no idea if not tackling in practice had an impact on the game yesterday. Cox had a missed tackle, but that is the only one I saw. The other plays were made by better, faster players on Baylor.

If you are saying that Sanders should have tackled him at the line of scrimmage, then I completely get your smart-a55 point. Otherwise, HG was so flat-footed when the receiver came his way that even if the guy had been bumped 20 yards earlier and was running backwards he would have sailed past HG.

I apologize for the "hitting" remark. That was not relevant. What is relevant is that HG needs to respect the play action. In order to do that, Sanders needs to chuck the receiver to knock him off stride and break up the timing and give HG a chance to be in position. I will agree that HG was a little flat footed on that play but he was also against a receiver who was timed with 2 sub 4.2 40's. He is not going to win that race. He needs help in having the receiver slowed up a little in the beginning. Just not all his fault. And no, I am not related in any way to anyone on the team.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby JasonB » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:14 am

I don't accuse people as being related :). I get your point. Not saying that Sanders didn't miss his chuck or anything like that. It also could be that the corner was supposed to stay with the guy and when the corner dropped off it surprised HG. Not sure, but it happened on all of those deep balls Baylor missed on as well.
JasonB

Postby EastStang » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:45 am

I turned it off at halftime. Our O-line looked like it didn't know who to block. There were guys standing there looking for someone to block as Baylor guys ran right past them. As I said in my prediction, Bennett knows how to beat Jones offense. He's seen it many times. Everyone we play will copy Baylor's defense until we figure out how to torch someone who uses it. Also, clearly their talent is miles ahead of ours.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Arkpony » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:15 pm

EastStang voices my observation. Many times our QB was on the ground swamped by Baylor players while our linemen were still standing up at the line! HUH? I couldn't believe it!
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Previous

Return to Football