PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

JJ Comments

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: JJ Comments

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:10 am

Stallion wrote:I think SMU's front defensive 7 was somewhat competitive against the level of competition. I have no confidence in any DB on our team against quality competition. I think they got lucky as hell tonite

Agreed. After Petty got hurt early in the 1st quarter he overthrew about 3 or 4 open receivers that could have scored touchdowns. That made the defense look a little better than they actually were especially the secondary.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:12 am

Rebel10 wrote:Maybe we can get Hal Mumme back to help June out again.

http://blazers.belhaven.edu/coaches.asp ... h=football
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sbsmith » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:20 am

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:Maybe we can get Hal Mumme back to help June out again.

http://blazers.belhaven.edu/coaches.asp ... h=football

Guess we know where Conner Preston ended up

http://blazers.belhaven.edu/roster.aspx ... h=football
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby gostangs » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:32 am

I am always amazed the lengths some players will go to play a game when the rest of their life is in the balance. What will it mean to anyone if he does ok at a Tyler junior college? And he traded that for an SMU degree - which is not a guarantee of future success but pretty close to it if you have half a brain. Its a joke really.
gostangs

Postby ponyscott » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:11 am

I guess he got so drunk in NOLA he forgot about the Sugar Bowl beat down.[/quote]
I wasn't a math major, but I think 45-0 is worse than 41-10[/quote]

The score doesn't really show how incredibly outclassed that Hawaii team was. UGA called the dogs off way early in the 3rd quarter. They could have easily made it far worse but unlike Briles, Mark Richt actually has a little class.[/quote]

WTF?...Briles did nothing wrong...SMU was inept at all phases.
ponyscott

Postby Planter's Punch » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:57 am

Planter's Punch
All-American

Postby PonySnob » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:01 am

29 points in our last 4 games. June really knows his offense!
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby ParkyPony » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:14 am

There is absolutely NO nastiness to this defense. Sorry, but when you are not allowed to hit hard/tackle during fall camp, you look just like what we saw last night. A tentative offense that hasn't taken a lick, a defense that has to remember HOW to tackle and a joke of a season opening game. :evil:
ParkyPony
Varsity

Postby lwjr » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:30 am

Our defensive front seven were ok. But then again, Petty and the Baylor offense were not playing very well. If the A&M offense that we saw against South Carolina shows up in Dallas, they will hang 70 on our defense.
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby CalallenStang » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:32 am

lwjr wrote:Our defensive front seven were ok. But then again, Petty and the Baylor offense were not playing very well. If the A&M offense that we saw against South Carolina shows up in Dallas, they will hang 70 on our defense.

By halftime.
CalallenStang

Postby Krieg » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:55 am

dr rc wrote:
The score doesn't really show how incredibly outclassed that Hawaii team was. UGA called the dogs off way early in the 3rd quarter. They could have easily made it far worse but unlike Briles, Mark Richt actually has a little class.

Are you seriously implying that Baylor ran up the score last night?
Krieg
Scout Team

Postby JasonB » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:41 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
Stallion wrote:I think SMU's front defensive 7 was somewhat competitive against the level of competition. I have no confidence in any DB on our team against quality competition. I think they got lucky as hell tonite

Agreed. After Petty got hurt early in the 1st quarter he overthrew about 3 or 4 open receivers that could have scored touchdowns. That made the defense look a little better than they actually were especially the secondary.

Those were all on 22 early and Castle late. CB switched to take an underneath route and those two safeties got torched, sitting on the post and were beat by 10 yards straight up the field.
JasonB

Postby ponyswim » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:01 pm

On the long touchdown, on TV it was clear that Sanders was supposed to hit the receiver as he came off the line and thru off the timing (easier said than done.) He totally missed, and 22 was in trouble. Later in the game there was a similar set up and Longoria got his hands on the receiver and messed up the play. So it is not all on the DB's - they need help from others.
ponyswim
Varsity

Postby JasonB » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:49 pm

I missed that live, but what was apparent on those plays is that the safeties played inside the receiver and were caught flat footed. Even if those guys had been bumped, the safeties didn't pick them up until they were 20 yards downfield and still wouldn't have caught them flat footed.
JasonB

Postby mrydel » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:13 pm

JasonB wrote:I missed that live, but what was apparent on those plays is that the safeties played inside the receiver and were caught flat footed. Even if those guys had been bumped, the safeties didn't pick them up until they were 20 yards downfield and still wouldn't have caught them flat footed.

But the timing of the QB changes. I know you are against hitting in football. but Sanders should have chucked the receiver at the line to disrupt the pattern. That is football and it was a missed play by Sanders. Granted we cannot run with their receivers but I will not put that play all on Greenbauer.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

PreviousNext

Return to Football