PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Worst Offensive line

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Worst Offensive line

Postby Malbec » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:07 am

Railing and gnashing of teeth aside, you are not going to kill an elephant with a fly swatter. The difference in pure physical ability between the Mustang OL and Baylor's DL are several talent levels apart. I don't care who your coach may be, Bill Walsh or Vince Lombardi can't scheme away the disparity. To expect SMU to compete with a program that has built its advantages to the glaring heights that Baylor has, is just unreasonable in the current context. While there may be some strong nostalgia that tugs at the hearts of longtime fans, these two schools are no longer SWC equals. Their programs have now gone in vastly different directions. Baylor didn't catch lightening in a bottle; it made the necessary commitment to improve the athletic department across the board by putting resources where they would be effective. Can SMU do the same? Yes, but it will be harder without the P5 advantages, and will take an even stronger commitment from everyone associated with the university.
Malbec

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:14 am

TCU was competing well against BCS schools years before they got into BCS conference. Navy even played Ohio St pretty well and at least scored. Jacksonville St scored 7 against Michigan St while ganing 244 yards and La Tech scored 14 against OU. In the 7th year we need to stop making excuses. We should have had a better showing on the field and at least gotten more than 64 yards.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonySnob » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:21 am

Rebel10 wrote:TCU was competing well against BCS schools years before they got into BCS conference. Navy even played Ohio St pretty well and at least scored. Jacksonville St scored 7 against Michigan St while ganing 244 yards and La Tech scored 14 against OU. In the 7th year we need to stop making excuses. We should have had a better showing on the field and at least gotten more than 64 yards.

Guess $2 million a year doesn't buy what it used to
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby sbsmith » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:22 am

Rebel10 wrote:TCU was competing well against BCS schools years before they got into BCS conference. Navy even played Ohio St pretty well and at least scored. Jacksonville St scored 7 against Michigan St while ganing 244 yards and La Tech scored 14 against OU. In the 7th year we need to stop making excuses. We should have had a better showing on the field and at least gotten more than 64 yards.

Nope, we need P5 advantages to score against P5 teams. Ask UCF.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=340010239
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby CA Mustang » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:11 am

PerunaPunch wrote:I'm not a Klemm hater, but other than Gott, where are his players? Just pointing out the facts.

Klemm has his own issues to deal with. http://coachingsearch.247sports.com/Art ... e-30752969
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Worst Offensive line

Postby GiddyUp » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:15 am

"The resume of a coach is his tape. And right now, Adrian Klemm has his hands full. He knows it, too. That “super assistant” label from the media doesn’t look so fitting right now."
GiddyUp

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:16 am

This is the 2012 OL's third year. They should perform better than they showed. But it just might be that it is poor OL coaching as well. No need to give the SMU OL coach a free pass.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby PerunaPunch » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:38 am

I think we're all agreed that the days of the "free pass" are long gone. We didn't recruit heavily enough and well enough along the OL in the past 5 years, we've been [deleted] about it for most of that time, and now we're paying the price.

Art Briles said it best (about Baylor in the pregame). Something to the effect that when RGIII came to Baylor they had perhaps a 20 Big XII-caliber players. Now the have 85. And the difference last night was glaring.

In a variety of previous interviews Jones has said he needs to start recruiting AAC-type athletes rather than CUSA-type athletes. I agree that we need to be bigger, and more physical, and I think we're slowly accomplishing that. HOWEVER, I think what many fans are wondering is why we're not also recruiting some BIG XII-caliber players (after all PonyFans' pre-seaon MVP was one we stole from Baylor), so that we can dominate our conference and perhaps be poised to take the next step if the opportunity ever arises.

And then of course there's the point that Baylor may be a legitimate Top10 team. 45 wasn't as bad as most on this board predicted.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:53 am

PerunaPunch wrote:I think we're all agreed that the days of the "free pass" are long gone. We didn't recruit heavily enough and well enough along the OL in the past 5 years, we've been [deleted] about it for most of that time, and now we're paying the price.

Art Briles said it best (about Baylor in the pregame). Something to the effect that when RGIII came to Baylor they had perhaps a 20 Big XII-caliber players. Now the have 85. And the difference last night was glaring.

In a variety of previous interviews Jones has said he needs to start recruiting AAC-type athletes rather than CUSA-type athletes. I agree that we need to be bigger, and more physical, and I think we're slowly accomplishing that. HOWEVER, I think what many fans are wondering is why we're not also recruiting some BIG XII-caliber players (after all PonyFans' pre-seaon MVP was one we stole from Baylor), so that we can dominate our conference and perhaps be poised to take the next step if the opportunity ever arises.

And then of course there's the point that Baylor may be a legitimate Top10 team. 45 wasn't as bad as most on this board predicted.

Obviously you are a Jones apologist and will spin things to try to support him. But June hires Palcic etc to coach the line and now were are paying the price. Jackson St and La Tech played higher ranking teams and scored more points and both had over 200 yards total offense. Holding them to 45 points with Petty getting hurt and missing several wide open receivers (as Stallion indicated) for TD's was okay I guess. If you want June back just say so and that way you can stop spinning everything.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Krieg » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:42 am

expony18 wrote:For what it's worth.... A friend of mine who played at Baylor and follows the program closely, said this is the best defensive line Baylor has ever had (and that was before the game started)

This. Reserve complete judgment on your line and offense until after the UNT game. You just played what will be by far the best defense you'll play all year.

The 4 returning starters thing isn't all that true, either. All 4 lineman had playing time like starters last year and our main LB is back as well. So, 5 great players up front that have played a ton or started.
Krieg
Scout Team

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:45 am

Krieg wrote:
expony18 wrote:For what it's worth.... A friend of mine who played at Baylor and follows the program closely, said this is the best defensive line Baylor has ever had (and that was before the game started)

This. Reserve complete judgment on your line and offense until after the UNT game. You just played what will be by far the best defense you'll play all year.

The 4 returning starters thing isn't all that true, either. All 4 lineman had playing time like starters last year and our main LB is back as well. So, 5 great players up front that have played a ton or started.

I guess we will not have to worry about the TCU, UCF, and aTm defenses then. I think we need to see how the Baylor defense does against decent competition before we can really evaluate them yet.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby couch 'em » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:20 am

Everyone is overreacting - we won't go winless but we are terrible
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby Stallion » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:30 am

hopefully we will develop an offensive line during the preseason so we can make the Hawaii Bowl
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:34 am

Rebel10 wrote:Obviously you are a Jones apologist and will spin things to try to support him. But June hires Palcic etc to coach the line and now were are paying the price.

Actually, inexperienced SMU offensive lines played much better when Palcic was coaching them than they are now with Suan coaching them.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby GiddyUp » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:37 am

Stallion wrote:hopefully we will develop an offensive line during the preseason so we can make the Hawaii Bowl

hopefully not, that means June stays
GiddyUp

PreviousNext

Return to Football