PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Worst Offensive line

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Worst Offensive line

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:21 pm

ponyboy wrote:How'd he get his stomach that high?

:lol:
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:47 pm

Honestly, it wasn't just the talent disparity that was so disturbing (although shouldn't be shocking considering out recruiting classes) but it seems that JJ never even gave them a chance. Before folks defended him saying he was a good x and o's coach but is that really true?

I saw the OL unprepared even by simple blitz packages. We have no alternative game plan in place. We're so predictable and last night showed poorly prepared as well. How is that at all defensible or even professional?
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:50 pm

What are your expectations for this program?
ponyboy

Postby RGV Pony » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:51 pm

I don't think many have considered JJ a good x and o coach. Ours is the team that commonly gets a delay of game after a time out or throws a pick right after a time out or gets out-adjusted at halftime
RGV Pony

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:58 pm

My expectations are that we should be out recruiting to be able to win the AAC and beat the lower level p5 teams and be competitive against the rest. I want a coach that is hungry and wants to take smu to the next level. I want us to do what tcu did. There is no reason we couldn't have. Maybe it's too late because we've run full circle and are no better or perhaps worse talent wise than before jones took over this program.

Those are my expectations. If too lofty then at the very least would expect us to be building up our program each year with an upward trajectory. I look at our football program and just don't see that.

Jones should have been fired after the asu fiasco. Asu alums stopped that hire and saved their football program from being irrelevant. When will smu alums do the same?
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:00 pm

I think they're good expectations. But honest question, how would a team who was in line to win the AAC and beat the lower level p5 teams have done yesterday in number 10 Baylor's debut in their brand new on campus stadium? What do you think the score would have been?
Last edited by ponyboy on Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ponyboy

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:00 pm

RGV Pony wrote:I don't think many have considered JJ a good x and o coach. Ours is the team that commonly gets a delay of game after a time out or throws a pick right after a time out or gets out-adjusted at halftime

Maybe you're right . It's just the excuse I hear quite often that he's a good coach. If we all know he can't recruit then what is a good coach? I don't see it either personally
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:04 pm

ponyboy wrote:I think they're good expectations. But honest question, how would a team who was in line to win the AAC and beat the lower level p5 teams have done yesterday in number 10 Baylor's debut in their brand new on campus stadium? What do you think the score would have been?

Baylor was not that impressive yesterday honestly. Sloppy plays and petty injured. Their first td was a gift from a one of our walkon receivers. I think Ucf for instance even this year would have given them quite a scare. Baylor will not win the b12. Not with that team that played us yesterday.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:07 pm

I thought their offense sputtered early, but then got their wind. I thought their defense was very, very strong. Particularly the line. I think they're legit. Guess we'll see.
ponyboy

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:08 pm

ponyboy wrote:I think they're good expectations. But honest question, how would a team who was in line to win the AAC and beat the lower level p5 teams have done yesterday in number 10 Baylor's debut in their brand new on campus stadium? What do you think the score would have been?

I think UCF would have done well. Baylor really did not play light out yesterday but we could not take advantage of anything like UCF did to them a few months ago.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby ponyboy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:11 pm

#45 UCF got beat by #41 Penn State this weekend. UCF would have gotten creamed by Baylor.
ponyboy

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:12 pm

ponyboy wrote:#45 UCF got beat by #41 Penn State this weekend. UCF would have gotten creamed by Baylor.

That's what they said before the bowl game last year in case you missed it. And they got beat by a last second field goal in case you missed it. Baylor will not go undefeated. I just hope the hold they NW State and Buffalo scoreless because it would not look good if a D1AA team and a MAC team scored on them but SMU couldn't.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby 03Mustang » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:19 pm

Anyone watching that game saw that we had no business even being on the same field as Baylor. There are FCS teams that would have given them much more of a game yesterday.

We will look better in some instances this season, but the fact remains that June Jones will leave here and his small successes here will be largely dismissed due to the mess it turned into under his watch.

Also see Jones, Jerry.
03Mustang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sbsmith » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:29 pm

Funny how fast Baylor went from being "overrated" to "the best team in the history of the world". Remember how terrible their defense was supposed to be because of all those starters they had to replace?
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby ponyscott » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:30 pm

How in the F&^&k is there even a discussion when a D-1 team only had 67 TOTAL yards in a regular season game? NO excuses-----The 89' Mustangs could gain yards on D-1 teams..last night has NO excuses except poor coaching which also resulted from no recruiting for 6 years.
ponyscott

PreviousNext

Return to Football