PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Fan support: Can you blame them?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Fan support: Can you blame them?

Postby newshound » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:27 am

I am not sure what was more embarrassing, being shut out with 67 yards and 7 first downs and walking both in and out of that beautiful stadium with so few SMU fans. Aside from players' families, I am guessing we had about 200 fans there. 200!

This lends more credence to my theory that we should be playing OUT-OF-STATE non-conference opponents in places where we have alumni (Army, Navy, Kansas, Northwestern, Georgia Tech, UCLA, etc.) I would say the last taligate at Navy had FIVE TIMES the crowd we had last night. Driving down I didn't see ONE CAR with SMU flags or markings. NOT ONE.

Our fans have NO INTEREST in going to places like Baylor, Tech, A&M and North Texas. At least cater to the alumni that never get to see us play. Exhibit A: NIT happy hours in New York and at the games at MSG, where we outdrew ACC and Big Ten schools.

Get North Texas OFF THE SCHEDULE forever. At any and all cost. Get Baylor, Tech and A&M OFF THE SCHOOL until further notice. Not only do our fans care less about those games, we have proven we cannot compete with them, even in our bowl seasons.

I feel bad for the players families, for the band, for the radio crew, for the SID, for all of the people whose lives revolves around this program. IT IS TIME FOR A CHANGE. Even more so after we get polished by TCU and A&M. Get the war chest ready, RGT.
newshound
Junior Varsity

Re: Fan support: Can you blame them?

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:31 am

So are you saying keep June but dumb down the schedule no matter how the season ends?
Last edited by Rebel10 on Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby sbsmith » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:31 am

Yeah let's not go nuts. Keep the schedule regional and focus on building a better team.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby 03Mustang » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:33 am

Our "fans" are primarily frontrunners like all Dallas sports fans and will show up in force when they are given a legitimate reason to do so.

For 25 plus years they have known if they go it will be a blowout and they'll be embarrassed, so what is the point? Give people a reason to get into it.
03Mustang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:35 am

Also, I think the reason that basketball team drew so well in those areas is because of the success of of team more than anything. Had the hoops team been below .500 they would not have gotten those crowds.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby NavyCrimson » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:02 am

Win & the crowds will show. Not a difficult formula. SMU crowds like any other school have to have a reason to show. We have great fan support when there is good reason to show.
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby Alaric » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:10 am

Ludicrous. Lots of SMU fans in Waco two years ago when a few of the faithful still had a little glimmer of hope. The good thing about this loss FOR ME is that it isn't even painful. Though embarrassing, I'm glad it wasn't 85-0 which it could have been so it actually surpassed my expectations. Just need to move on to a new coach or give up.

PS - I heard Gerald J Ford has really supported JJ because he thinks we could do worse.
Alaric
Hall of Famer

Postby gostangs » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:20 am

The big money guys want to do what is best for the school. If you are going to give serious money to SMU - you would rather endow scholarships, a professorship or build a new building rather than throw it down a rat hole to get rid of June. this situation has now risen to the top of the concern list - so I would assume it will be addressed.

Our fans are pretty good about going and are supportive when there is even a contest. I had no interest in watching all the Baylor people celebrate what should be ours.

Come on basketball season.
gostangs

Postby soccermom » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:24 am

We just want a team that has a chance to win when we step on the field. I think basketball was so big because Larry Brown reached out to the students and asked them to support the team and told them how IMPORTANT they were to the team's success and, of course, he delivered a team that was exciting and could WIN. Guess that's what recruiting and coaching does.
soccermom
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CenTXpony » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:29 am

Hey does Stephen Nelson and the rest of the team still prefer playing on the road after that turd of a performance?
CenTXpony
Heisman

Postby austinponie » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:31 am

I believe you have to maintain a certain attendance average to continue in FBS??
Hence the Tech, A&M and Baylor games...helps at home games, anyway..
austinponie
All-American

Postby Planter's Punch » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:40 am

austinponie wrote:I believe you have to maintain a certain attendance average to continue in FBS??
Hence the Tech, A&M and Baylor games...helps at home games, anyway..

From NCAA.org:
Average at least 15,000 in actual or paid attendance for all home football contests over a
rolling two-year period.
Planter's Punch
All-American

Postby mrydel » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:15 pm

If we draw less maybe we can ask for autonomy on the matter of attendance.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby CoxMustangFan » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:19 pm

gostangs wrote:Our fans are pretty good about going and are supportive when there is even a contest. I had no interest in watching all the Baylor people celebrate what should be ours.

Come on basketball season.

Agreed. Already bought tickets for a couple of away games that I'm HOPING will be competitive.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby Treadway21 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:22 pm

I went down two years ago and had at least a glimmer of hope. I also went down to A and M with not much hope. Left both games hating life. No way was I going to put myself through that again. Looks like I made a smart decision and so did everyone else that didn't go.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Next

Return to Football