PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Fan support: Can you blame them?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Fan support: Can you blame them?

Postby newshound » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:24 pm

Who said anything about keeping the coach? Foregone conclusion. He'll be headed back to Hawaii, fittingly, on Pearl Harbor Day.

GET BAYLOR, TECH, A&M AND NORTH TEXAS OFF THE SCHEDULE. NOW. TODAY. YESTERDAY.
newshound
Junior Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:27 pm

newshound wrote:Who said anything about keeping the coach? Foregone conclusion. He'll be headed back to Hawaii, fittingly, on Pearl Harbor Day.

so who would you like to schedule? SF Austin, SHSU, Abilene Christian? We should probably avoid UTSA at all costs, too. I hear they are pretty tough.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby CoxMustangFan » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:28 pm

Treadway21 wrote:I went down two years ago and had at least a glimmer of hope. I also went down to A and M with not much hope. Left both games hating life. No way was I going to put myself through that again. Looks like I made a smart decision and so did everyone else that didn't go.

Well, one of the games is UCF so the trip is a bit of a 2-for.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby skyscraper » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:29 pm

Getting rid of the SWC schools from the schedule doesn't fix the problem. Merely hides the symptoms of our football ills.
skyscraper

Postby Treadway21 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:32 pm

Cox, makes sense. Not a lot of premium road venues on the schedule.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby JasonB » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:46 pm

The opening comment of this thread - we didn't have people travel because they have lost hope in the program. Two years ago, we had two tents full of people, lots of students, and people were hoping for the upset.

This time - no students, one tent, didn't fill a section, and everyone was talking about trying to beat the spread.

It isn't that nobody wants to go to Waco. People just have zero faith in the program and the administration should take note of that.
JasonB

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:54 pm

JasonB wrote:The opening comment of this thread - we didn't have people travel because they have lost hope in the program. Two years ago, we had two tents full of people, lots of students, and people were hoping for the upset.

This time - no students, one tent, didn't fill a section, and everyone was talking about trying to beat the spread.

It isn't that nobody wants to go to Waco. People just have zero faith in the program and the administration should take note of that.

Can't really disagree with that.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Stallion » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:02 pm

The fact we have fans who think we had a good road trip crowd to Baylor 2 years ago just reinforces that we have generations of SMU fans that don't understand what a good road contingent looks like. Not sure what scale they are using but it definitely isn't the standard that is required for SMU to escape its second tier future. SMU had been to what-3 straight bowls at the time?
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby gostangs » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:42 pm

we sold out our allotment two years ago - I thought it was a decent crowd.

Our crowd isn't fooled by participation trophies - we know the difference between a real bowl game and a manufactured number 40 bowl game also
gostangs

Postby Topper » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:58 pm

gostangs wrote:The big money guys want to do what is best for the school. If you are going to give serious money to SMU - you would rather endow scholarships, a professorship or build a new building rather than throw it down a rat hole to get rid of June. this situation has now risen to the top of the concern list - so I would assume it will be addressed.

Our fans are pretty good about going and are supportive when there is even a contest. I had no interest in watching all the Baylor people celebrate what should be ours.

Come on basketball season.

Last season, on this very board, I asked SID to give me some talking points to convince my wife that we should continue donating to football at the expense of academic giving. All I got was a smart a@# reply. I am still giving to football against her wishes but exhibitions like last night make it harder to justify. I will keep giving until there is no more program or I am six feet under, but I am reall worried that there are issues that go much deeper than June Jones, who I personally like, that are at play here.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby Topper » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:02 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
newshound wrote:Who said anything about keeping the coach? Foregone conclusion. He'll be headed back to Hawaii, fittingly, on Pearl Harbor Day.

so who would you like to schedule? SF Austin, SHSU, Abilene Christian? We should probably avoid UTSA at all costs, too. I hear they are pretty tough.

We have to continue to play the teams that we want to recruit against (Tech, A&M, TCU, Baylor) to maintain a profile with the top players. We also have to play these teams in order to sell seats at Ford. Notice that we only draw well against the top regional teams that are within driving distance of Dallas.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby PoconoPony » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:23 pm

Penn State had over 15,000 fans travel to Ireland for their game against UCF this past weekend. We cannot get 200 fans down to Waco.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smusic 00 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:25 pm

PoconoPony wrote:Penn State had over 15,000 fans travel to Ireland for their game against UCF this past weekend. We cannot get 200 fans down to Waco.

Source? ( honestly curious )
smusic 00

Postby RGV Pony » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:47 pm

I heard the ESPN crew quote the 15000 figure
RGV Pony

Postby couch 'em » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:01 pm

Penn State has more undergrads enrolled than we probably have living alumni and they were good in a real conference for decades
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

PreviousNext

Return to Football