PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Fan support: Can you blame them?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Fan support: Can you blame them?

Postby smusic 00 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:08 pm

That would be over 70 large planes 100% full of penn state fans. Impressive. How many did we bring to Tokyo?
smusic 00
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PoconoPony » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:14 pm

smusic 00 wrote:
PoconoPony wrote:Penn State had over 15,000 fans travel to Ireland for their game against UCF this past weekend. We cannot get 200 fans down to Waco.

Source? ( honestly curious )

That figure was reported in the PA media, the national TV broadcast of the game which mentioned this figure multiple times and based on PSU ticket sales.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smusic 00 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:29 pm

PoconoPony wrote:
smusic 00 wrote:
PoconoPony wrote:Penn State had over 15,000 fans travel to Ireland for their game against UCF this past weekend. We cannot get 200 fans down to Waco.

Source? ( honestly curious )

That figure was reported in the PA media, the national TV broadcast of the game which mentioned this figure multiple times and based on PSU ticket sales.

Ok. I wasn't doubting you, just hadn't seen it mentioned anywhere else beyond the 55k total attendance. Was the UCF number mentioned?
smusic 00

Postby DiamondM » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:16 am

I went to Waco 2 years ago, roasted in the heat, and saw us suck. Did the same thing at A&M. Twice. Gone to Tech every time we've played them (once we were even competitive). Been to UCF -- twice. I am all about supporting our team through thick and thin, but it is really hard to get excited when you have a coach that doesn't care about SMU (though the red shirt was a nice change, I suspect one that he grudgingly accepted).

I have seldom made a better decision than to stay home an watch that game on tv. With 2 small children, getting back after midnight after watching a performance like that would have been self inflicted torture. Why should we travel with the team when the coaches and players always seem to have stayed back in Dallas themselves? Look, SMU doesn't even have to win to get me to come, but at least give me some reason to think there's a sliver of a chance that we can actually score some points in year 7 of this offense. At least lose spectacularly or something. But no kolaches from West would have made this trip worth it.

Besides which, nothing good can come of this season. Either we're mediocre or worse (I'm betting on this outcome), or Jones pulls something out of his ukelele and we're stuck with a guy who doesn't give a rats surfboard about SMU for a few more years. If I hear one more commentator refer to June Jones as an offensive guru, I might put my fist through the tv.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby stl.pony » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:59 am

Alaric wrote:Ludicrous. Lots of SMU fans in Waco two years ago when a few of the faithful still had a little glimmer of hope. The good thing about this loss FOR ME is that it isn't even painful. Though embarrassing, I'm glad it wasn't 85-0 which it could have been so it actually surpassed my expectations. Just need to move on to a new coach or give up.

PS - I heard Gerald J Ford has really supported JJ because he thinks we could do worse.

The crowd for the 2012 Baylor game in Waco was fantastic - huge party at the tailgate, great showing in the stadium. Had those two giant sections filled.

Also, A&M last year was pretty solid. Great SMU showing there. This awful team this year won't be able to drive folks to UNT though.
stl.pony
Junior Varsity

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:46 am

DiamondM wrote:I went to Waco 2 years ago, roasted in the heat, and saw us suck. Did the same thing at A&M. Twice. Gone to Tech every time we've played them (once we were even competitive). Been to UCF -- twice. I am all about supporting our team through thick and thin, but it is really hard to get excited when you have a coach that doesn't care about SMU (though the red shirt was a nice change, I suspect one that he grudgingly accepted).

I have seldom made a better decision than to stay home an watch that game on tv. With 2 small children, getting back after midnight after watching a performance like that would have been self inflicted torture. Why should we travel with the team when the coaches and players always seem to have stayed back in Dallas themselves? Look, SMU doesn't even have to win to get me to come, but at least give me some reason to think there's a sliver of a chance that we can actually score some points in year 7 of this offense. At least lose spectacularly or something. But no kolaches from West would have made this trip worth it.

Besides which, nothing good can come of this season. Either we're mediocre or worse (I'm betting on this outcome), or Jones pulls something out of his ukelele and we're stuck with a guy who doesn't give a rats surfboard about SMU for a few more years. If I hear one more commentator refer to June Jones as an offensive guru, I might put my fist through the tv.

A+
ALEX LIFESON

Previous

Return to Football