PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Thoughts on the stadium?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Thoughts on the stadium?

Postby Titleist627 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:25 pm

For those that went, what'd you think?
2013 Big XII Champs
Titleist627

Re: Thoughts on the stadium?

Postby mrydel » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:29 pm

You should have flushed us at halftime.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby CoxMustangFan » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:32 pm

I didn't go to the game, but I stopped by a couple of weeks ago on my way to SA. Looks nice, but I still contend it looks like a giant toilet. That will provide decades of childish enjoyment.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby Hideki Matt Suhey » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:35 pm

As I said earlier, the fake-brick tarp cheapens an otherwise very nice facility.
Hideki Matt Suhey
Recruit

Postby Stallion » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:57 pm

The Hollar House on the Brazos?

At least from where I sat in endzone-I think that place is going to be a big home field advantage for Baylor. Not much of a game in sweltering heat so not a true test on noise. I think its going to be huge though in big game. Extremely loud for 45,000

The noise reverberates from the top of the stadium-seemingly the noise from field level (from bands) didn't-so I wonder about from different levels.

I think it gets a A from the inside look
A for the picturesque setting
D for no seat backs-its getting so uncomfortable to be packed in like sardines at some of these stadiums
C- for the outside architecture-just not a big fan
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby gostangs » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:00 pm

interior - A
setting - A + +
scoreboard (other than contents during our game) - A
exterior - B minus (white columns and brick look a bit 70's )
Garish honking green McLane sign - F
gostangs

Postby JasonB » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:33 pm

I thought it was a really nice stadium. Inside and out. Tailgate scene is great. I had my doubts about sailgating, but it was a really neat setup. First impression straight off the bat was that Baylor is going to be good for quite a while because that stadium is going to be awesome for recruiting.

From a fan perspective, it isn't quite as good. For a first game, the tailgate and traffic situation were remarkably well organized. But, the PA system had problems. Couldn't hear the bands on the field. So it might not actually be as loud on the field as your want it to be for home field advantage. Seating is uncomfortable and really tight fit.
JasonB

Postby Grant Carter » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:47 pm

Stallion wrote:The Hollar House on the Brazos?

At least from where I sat in endzone-I think that place is going to be a big home field advantage for Baylor. Not much of a game in sweltering heat so not a true test on noise. I think its going to be huge though in big game. Extremely loud for 45,000

The noise reverberates from the top of the stadium-seemingly the noise from field level (from bands) didn't-so I wonder about from different levels.

I think it gets a A from the inside look
A for the picturesque setting
D for no seat backs-its getting so uncomfortable to be packed in like sardines at some of these stadiums
C- for the outside architecture-just not a big fan

I agree with these grades. I had not thought about the lack of seat backs, but you are right.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby TidePony » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:41 pm

Not close to an SEC stadium with the exception of Vandy - looks like a toilet.
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:44 pm

Glad they did not try to be like some SEC trash. The Baylor stadium looks classy imo.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby ponyboy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:46 pm

Stadium was classy as were the fans. I sat on the berm below the scoreboard and was comfortable from the breeze off the Brazos all night.
ponyboy

Postby Ikus » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:01 am

Situation by river: A
Baylor Line (left trash all over the field, and a bunch of students got trampled): D
K-Mart tarp around field: can you give a "Z"?
Field: A -- looked really nice (second game ever, it should look great)
Ability to get crowd in and out: C
Staff's knowledge of where everything is: F
Concessions: D
Parking: I'm not going back without a helicopter, and if SMU doesn't play there again, there's no reason to ever go to Waco
Ikus
Heisman

Postby docabel » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:33 am

I was "lucky" enough to get the seats in section 329, and honestly had trouble staying in the seats for more than 15 minutes at a time until the second quarter when we finally got some shade. It was interesting that if you were in the concourse you got a very stiff breeze which made it almost bearable, but up in the stands it was completely still. At the start of the game more people were standing in the concourse to watch because of comfort. I can imagine in the Oct/Nov games that same concourse will feel like the Tundra with the same breeze.

The seats were terrible. Southwest Airlines doesn't try and squeeze that many butts in such a small area (and Waco doesn't have a overabundance of skinny people). In a colder environment it may not be such a bad thing, but in that heat, it was oppressive.

Sound dynamics were unusual. Despite the Mustang band being just below our section, I never once heard them play.

Video board was nice, but the sound system had its moments where the sound was so loud you couldn't carry on a conversation (sounds like our same complaints at Ford).

Was interesting when talking to some Baylor fans after the game who were not high on the stadium. Particularly the older fans were not happy with the lack of parking and even though the shuttles were able to get them to the dropoff point, they felt the distance to the stadium was going to keep them from coming to as many games as they would like.

Interesting to hear Briles talk of the advantage of the stadium. Apparently before this, Baylor would not take recruits to Floyd Casey.

The fake brick wall was the kicker.
docabel
Heisman

Postby leopold » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:52 am

I listened to the game on the radio driving in from an out of town wedding, and even the Baylor announcers mentioned the tarp - it was the first thing they mentioned, in fact.

Said the stadium was specificcally designed to be loud. Was absolutely the intent behind the design.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony ^ » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:03 am

I could care less that it looks like a toilet. The roof that makes it look like a toilet is what makes it as loud as it is. On TV, it looked awesome..especially when it got dark. The outside architecture is a flat F though. Looks like it was built in the 60's and very cheap. Inside is awesome though.
Pony ^

Next

Return to Football