PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Thoughts on the stadium?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Thoughts on the stadium?

Postby docabel » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:09 pm

Music...

When they played their intro video before the game "we're coming home", my 4th grader promptly stood up and said "They stole our basketball song"

Funniest moment was when they played "It's getting hot in here", the Baptist censors had edited out som much of the lyrics it sounded more like a karaoke song...
docabel
Heisman

Postby lwjr » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:19 pm

I was very impressed with the stadium. As mentioned already, it is very loud thanks to the overhang. The overhang rood was designed to keep the noise in the stadium and it works. As for the fake brick, it is temporary until the real brick is put in.
I liked the field level suite for the recruits and their families. They are fed and they sit in a field level banquet room/suite that is very nice and air conditioned. There are plenty of TV's in the room as well. That is a nice advantage for Baylor recruiting
The Bear Club and Bear Club seating, where I sat, is nice. In the club there are a couple of food serving stations and a bar. They do have some kinks to work out with serving lines and the time it takes to get your food. The Bear Club also has several Tv's and a large screen to watch the game if you do not want to sit outside. Our seats were theater type, and very comfortable. I was surprised the rest of the stadium seating was benches with no backs. That was one of the first things I commented on when we were walking around. The in game app and wifi were great.
The tailgating scene is fantastic. The tailgate I attended was by the track stadium on the Brazos, there was always a nice breeze even though it was still hot. I like the sailgating, great idea. I was told there are currently 19 boat slips with room to expand to 70. There was a pretty good amount of boat traffic on the Brazos.
I did not like the McLane Stadium wording on the outside of the stadium, but that is minor.
Overall, Baylor hit a home run with the new stadium and tailgating scene.
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DFW2012 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:37 pm

Interior Design: A (would get the + if not for the brick tarp)
Interior Amenities: B+ (videoboard great, concession adequate, needs benchbacks)
Exterior: D (as said, the architecture is just outdated)
Location/Setting: A+ (never thought the Brazos could look so good)

Hard not to compare McLane to my trip to TCU last year and their new stadium. Capacity is the same, both are on-campus, etc. Edge to Baylor in terms of the general layout, huge plus to Baylor on the sun shade, huge plus to TCU on exterior architecture, otherwise they're very comparable. I have no first-hand experience or knowledge as to the player and club facilities and how they compare. If I was picking one to replace Ford, I'd want the Baylor layout/interior design with the TCU architecture/exterior design.
DFW2012

Postby Mustangsabu » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:40 pm

It's a very nice stadium, lots of toilets, concessions and airy feel. I was up above the band, in the sun. They should not have made me throw away my sunscreen getting in. That merited an email to the school. Also, where we were the sound system was way too loud and making up for a subdued crowd. Ill give them a pass since we weren't putting up a fight. Parking downtown was good and he busses were easy to use.
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Sampi82 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:27 pm

lwjr wrote:Our seats were theater type, and very comfortable. I was surprised the rest of the stadium seating was benches with no backs. That was one of the first things I commented on when we were walking around.

The rest of the seating outside of the Bear Club area are not benches only. There are chair back seat sections on the east side as well on the 2nd and 3rd levels and there are also sections that include benches with backs on both sides.
Sampi82

Postby mrydel » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:36 pm

Aren't benches with backs on both side called cages?
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby ghost » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:00 am

Positives. Looks great on tv, especially at night and the surrounding area with the footbridge and small but newer Brazos side of campus very beautiful. Negatives. Too much bench seating. Interior feel has the feeling of a nice, large high school stadium similar to Allen. Doesn't have that traditional, old feel which they need to tie together. Parking is not acceptable. Coming in I35 from the north stadium has an industrial, warehouse look to it. And last but not least...I am sure they named the stadium after McClane to show their appreciation but ALSO to make sure the donations from him keep coming. Having a persons name in huge letters doesn't look as good as having BU or BAYLOR. In other words something similar to LSU or VOLS not a persons name but I know the money comes first, not the asthetics.
ghost
All-American

Postby gostangs » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:09 am

If McLane had any kind of class his name up there would embarrass him. Can you imagine any of our donors accepting that kind of garishness?
gostangs

Postby couch 'em » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:19 am

You guys are crazy. It isn't "his name" it is the name of the stadium next to an interstate. It is common.
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby gostangs » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:36 am

It is his name. Don't be a dolt
gostangs

Postby lwjr » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:29 pm

Sampi82 wrote:
lwjr wrote:Our seats were theater type, and very comfortable. I was surprised the rest of the stadium seating was benches with no backs. That was one of the first things I commented on when we were walking around.

The rest of the seating outside of the Bear Club area are not benches only. There are chair back seat sections on the east side as well on the 2nd and 3rd levels and there are also sections that include benches with backs on both sides.

Thanks for the correction
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby JohnS » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:32 am

gostangs wrote:If McLane had any kind of class his name up there would embarrass him. Can you imagine any of our donors accepting that kind of garishness?

When Mclane gave the gift he said he wanted it to be Baylor Stadium. Even a year into construction it was still so, my donation certificate for one of the stadium bricks that was sent out last fall says Baylor Stadium.

Last winter though the BOR decided on Mclane stadium. I'm sure it was to keep the big donor money rolling in knowing that their contributions would be associated with their famlies.

The big reason though is that mclane stadium will have lunch and dinner every day of the year in a club corp restaurant in addition to hosting 50+ non Baylor football events including concerts... That will serve alcohol at mclane stadium instead of Baylor stadium.
JohnS

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:10 am

gostangs wrote:If McLane had any kind of class his name up there would embarrass him. Can you imagine any of our donors accepting that kind of garishness?

You mean kind of like the Gerald J. Ford Stadium at SMU?
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby PonySnob » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:48 pm

Rebel10 wrote:

You mean kind of like the Gerald J. Ford Stadium at SMU?

The Triggs were still a live when their name was on front of the student center.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Previous

Return to Football