PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Some thoughts from being in Waco yesterday

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Some thoughts from being in Waco yesterday

Postby ponyboy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:37 pm

It's not the calls or scheme. It's the talent.

Slight change of subject. Deion, Jr. did get some talent from his father. I'd get the ball in space to him often, as well as the freshman receiver.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:37 pm

I would be happy if they had to blitz. We might get lucky and have a receiver break free. I do not think Baylor blitzed much if any.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby mrydel » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:38 pm

ponyboy wrote:It's not the calls or scheme. It's the talent.

Slight change of subject. Deion, Jr. did get some talent from his father. I'd get the ball in space to him often, as well as the freshman receiver.

We did. He dropped it.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby ponyboy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:40 pm

Yeah, I saw that. Let's try again.
ponyboy

Postby sbsmith » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:46 pm

mrydel wrote:I would be happy if they had to blitz. We might get lucky and have a receiver break free. I do not think Baylor blitzed much if any.

The few times they did they got back there quickly, I don't trust this line against free rushers nor do I trust our QBs to make good passes/decisions while pressured.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:49 pm

I guess we can't attribute anything to poor coaching or poor preparation. 64 yards of total offense. really.

Jacksonville St got over 200 against Michigan St

La Tech got over 200 yards against OU
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby coloradoStang » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:51 pm

Students didn't come because there were no specific student tickets and no bus to get down there. Last time we played there was both of those
coloradoStang
All-American

Postby San Antonio Mustang » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:09 pm

dirtysouthpony wrote:I think these games are bad for the psyche of of the fanbase. We get out butts kicked at the beginning of the season and the fanbase is done for the rest of the year. A full stadium against Aggy and the Frogs is not in the best long term interest of this program. I would recommend the removal of all of the legacy SWC programs and replacing them with the service academies. You would still fill the stadium, and they could recruit the metroplex during game week. Right now we are racing our Yugo in the INDY 500 and complaining about our lack of success.

I guess you do realize that this year's schedule was probably put together several years ago for June's 7th year when we were supposed to be a top 20 team. And when it was put together, we knew to get to the BCS we would have to go through stiff competition. And remember after his first year June promised us we would be nationally relevant by year 4. Of course, his prediction failed to account for his refusal to place importance on the level of talent he recruits or his refusal to hire coaches that are able to recruit.
San Antonio Mustang
All-American

Postby Ikus » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:52 pm

dirtysouthpony wrote:I think these games are bad for the psyche of of the fanbase. We get out butts kicked at the beginning of the season and the fanbase is done for the rest of the year. A full stadium against Aggy and the Frogs is not in the best long term interest of this program. I would recommend the removal of all of the legacy SWC programs and replacing them with the service academies. You would still fill the stadium, and they could recruit the metroplex during game week. Right now we are racing our Yugo in the INDY 500 and complaining about our lack of success.

Everyone points to the basketball team as an example. They don't schedule Duke, UNC, Syracuse, and Kentucky as their OOC. They will play one powerhouse program and try to make hay in the conference. Start playing lower tier Big 12 and SEC teams first. Beat them and gain a national rep,the build. Temple beat the dog out of Vandy and it was national news. North Dakota State beat Iowa State and again burnished their reputation as giant killers. Raising our national profile will increase the long term fortunes of SMU football, and also raise the level of interest in the metroplex.

Let's move on and beat UNT.

Very well said, from start to finish.
Ikus
Heisman

Postby Alaric » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:38 am

Rebel10 wrote:

I guess we can't attribute anything to poor coaching or poor preparation. 64 yards of total offense. really.

Jacksonville St got over 200 against Michigan St

La Tech got over 200 yards against OU

Central Arkansas had 406 against Texas Tech
Alaric
Hall of Famer

Postby ender3 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:54 am

Alaric wrote:Central Arkansas had 406 against Texas Tech

I was in Lubbock for that game.

Texas Tech has defensive line difficulties almost as serious as our offensive line problems, but Central Arkansas was a very solid team. In another thread it was asked "could we beat Central Arkansas?"

The answer is: probably not. Lose maybe 60-65% of the time. Central Arkansas handled Tech's offense (they miss Jace Amaro tremendously) in check for at least a half, and capitalized on mistakes. Once they did fall behind though, they had to switch game plans to play catch up and Tech began to click a bit on offense. As it was, the game was still close, due to the problems Tech has on the D-Line.
Stallion doesn't think I'm a stinkin' genius anymore.
ender3
All-American

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:34 pm

Stangs1970 wrote:Ok enough!

We will beat the iggles.

This team will improve against alike teams and lower.
We were going to get battered by TAM and Baylor. It actually happened shocker. No it was the way we lost. Horse crap. If I am baylor I am thinking thats the best we can do after all the we have 85 5 star players? We see elite athletes up and down this roster 3 deep at practice everyday. Our QB is the most accurate passing Heisman candidate since Andy dalton at tcu all on the Baylor tv network / big 12 network also known as fox sports 1.

One game in an overwhelming new stadium Heisman in the house trumped up event. I expected this only worse and I didn't expect the defense to be that deep and that good. We can fix offense its June jones I think I read somewhere he can coach offense.

Just wanted you to read what you wrote before the UNT game.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Previous

Return to Football