PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

June better hope that...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

June better hope that...

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:23 pm

...Baylor absolutely rolls through the Big 12 this year and administers butt kickings to everyone in their path. That would at least make yesterday seem slightly more palpable in retrospect.

Our season could be over next week if we lay an egg in Denton. A&M will thrash us, I'll let you know after we play UNT and they play Minnesota whether we have a chance in hell against TCU but right now I'm leaning heavily towards no unless we can convince Tyron Smith and Travis Frederick to sneak into an SMU uniform on gameday.

As for conference play, who knows? Going into the season I thought UH would contend for the AAC title but they might have had an even worse opening performance than we did. We'll lose to Cincy and UCF for sure. UConn is horrible. USF, Memphis Tulsa, and ECU are beatable but we'll probably drop both road games.

I can't help but wonder what Paul Loyd, Gerald Ford, Carl Sewell, etc were thinking last night.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: June better hope that...

Postby redpony » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:34 pm

Other than Loyd I doubt if any of them were there.
redpony

Postby gostangs » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:36 pm

I would guess Ford was there in someone's box. Hope he is off the June wagon.
gostangs

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:03 pm

I am going to go out on a limb and say that Baylor does not win the Big 12.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby leopold » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:41 pm

ECM is right. That being said, Baylor is a dark horse national title contender going into the season. There is every reason to believe they will win the Big XII and we may not play a better team all year, possibly even A&M.
That, and we desperately need a win over the next three games.

I'm not happy about being blown out, but they have got go recover quickly or the seasons over.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:43 pm

Baylor will not make the playoff due to their weak out of conference schedule. And they will have us to thank for that.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Stallion » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:49 pm

yeah Baylor is going to be an easy team to overlook. Seriously, I think they get left out without an undefeated season. They will have no one to blame but themselves.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:53 pm

leopold wrote:ECM is right. That being said, Baylor is a dark horse national title contender going into the season. There is every reason to believe they will win the Big XII and we may not play a better team all year, possibly even A&M.
That, and we desperately need a win over the next three games.

I'm not happy about being blown out, but they have got go recover quickly or the seasons over.

OU might have something to say about that. And aTm looked better than Baylor against better competition in South Carolina.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby max the wonder dog » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:11 pm

June better hope that he can "coach up" the team to beat UNT and Memphis. With an 0 -7 start he could be Trick or Treating in Honolulu.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby WildHorse » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:11 pm

We held Baylor to 7 points less than last year's average.

#StrawsOfficiallyGrasped
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Postby lwjr » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:13 pm

max the wonder dog wrote:June better hope that he can "coach up" the team to beat UNT and Memphis. With an 0 -7 start he could be Trick or Treating in Honolulu.

JJ during his press:
"Obviously, we have to get better. We have to coach them up better, and we have to fight harder on offense.”
He is talking about the QB's, but it still funny
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby orguy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:35 pm

After the but kicking the Bears took up in Stillwater last year its fair to say that they probably are the weakest team to ever win the big 12.

I would not be surprised if they get embarrassed in Norman against a very strong OU squad.
orguy
All-American

Postby PoconoPony » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:08 pm

orguy wrote:After the but kicking the Bears took up in Stillwater last year its fair to say that they probably are the weakest team to ever win the big 12.

I would not be surprised if they get embarrassed in Norman against a very strong OU squad.

With Baylor's defense, they will not be embarrassed anywhere this season. Most of their forth coming opponents are going to get a full dose of what SMU experienced. I think the Baylor D is so big, fast and talented that they could win most games scoring under 21 points. The fact that they have an even better offense makes them awesome. Baylor is a great team and might suffer from being a playoff team based on what the TV announcers commented about for having SMU and 2 other weak teams on their non-conference schedule. 3 teams that will adversely hurt their rating. Problem is that when schedules are made 10 years in advance you have no idea how good an opponent might be. Would anyone have thought 7 years ago when JJ was hired that the program would be no better off than the 20 years before him???
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyfan37 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:10 pm

Baylor has never won in Norman.
Pony up!
ponyfan37
Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:18 pm

Unfair stat: Baylor has only beaten OU twice.

Fair stat: Baylor has beaten OU twice in the last three meetings. Before then, they'd never beaten OU.
ponyboy

Next

Return to Football