PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

#ChadMorrisToSMU

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: #ChadMorrisToSMU

Postby Big12Mustang » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:50 am

Lebanese4Life wrote:It's funny how ever since the two blowout losses, B12 has been far less active on the forum. B12, weren't you the one predicting a win over Baylor. How'd that work out for ya?

It's because SMU is a lost cause and I am done coming here to poison myself with your sorrow.
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Lebanese4Life » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:31 am

Big12Mustang wrote:
Lebanese4Life wrote:It's funny how ever since the two blowout losses, B12 has been far less active on the forum. B12, weren't you the one predicting a win over Baylor. How'd that work out for ya?

It's because SMU is a lost cause and I am done coming here to poison myself with your sorrow.

Thanks for finally realizing what most of us here have already for the last 2-3 years.
Lebanese4Life
Hall of Famer

Postby CoxMustangFan » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:37 am

Big12Mustang wrote:

Big12, just some honest advice, take it or leave it. I'm not sure how many accounts you have as it's not relevant. A poster's personality and character will shine through regardless of how many accounts he/she may have. You seem to be a passionate fan of SMU, which is great. I would stick with one account (if you have more than one) and take a small break from posting. Hopefully the other fans will welcome the pause and realize you're what SMU needs most, a passionate fan. Just my two cents.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby Big12Mustang » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:08 am

CoxMustangFan wrote:
Big12Mustang wrote:

Big12, just some honest advice, take it or leave it. I'm not sure how many accounts you have as it's not relevant. A poster's personality and character will shine through regardless of how many accounts he/she may have. You seem to be a passionate fan of SMU, which is great. I would stick with one account (if you have more than one) and take a small break from posting. Hopefully the other fans will welcome the pause and realize you're what SMU needs most, a passionate fan. Just my two cents.

Thank you CoxMustangFan, your words are comforting. I do need to take a break. My season came crashing down at that Denton shietshow and am still struggling to recover from that embarrassment. I never wanted to be identified as a troll, I only wanted to be welcome to my alma mater's board with arms wide open.
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:12 pm

maybe just coincidence, but on Clemson's bye week, Chad Morris decided to make a trip to Texas to do some recruiting. Was looking at a couple of QBs, WRs and a TE...but I'm sure that had been planned before JJ vacated SMU's HC position.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Planter's Punch » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:19 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:maybe just coincidence, but on Clemson's bye week, Chad Morris decided to make a trip to Texas to do some recruiting. Was looking at a couple of QBs, WRs and a TE...but I'm sure that had been planned before JJ vacated SMU's HC position.

If that was June travelling to recruit during a bye week, that would be the world's biggest smoke signal he was looking at another job :lol:
Planter's Punch
All-American

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:47 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:maybe just coincidence, but on Clemson's bye week, Chad Morris decided to make a trip to Texas to do some recruiting. Was looking at a couple of QBs, WRs and a TE...but I'm sure that had been planned before JJ vacated SMU's HC position.

It's not like he would stop by SMU just to say hello since he just happened to be in the neighborhood. :mrgreen:
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:52 pm

Big12Mustang wrote:
Thank you CoxMustangFan, your words are comforting. I do need to take a break. My season came crashing down at that Denton shietshow and am still struggling to recover from that embarrassment. I never wanted to be identified as a troll, I only wanted to be welcome to my alma mater's board with arms wide open.

For the record, I think Floridianstang is the best username.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:03 pm

Rebel10 wrote:

It's not like he would stop by SMU just to say hello since he just happened to be in the neighborhood. :mrgreen:

I once had a (future) employer come 200 miles to meet me while I was on the road and working for another company. I was impressed they were that interested in me and eventually went to work for them. Wonder where Hart was last weekend?
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:51 pm

love how coach Morris handled a stressful situation with humor...read down to last paragraph

swinney-clemson-center-received-threats-from-fans-after-botched-snap-vs-fsu
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:56 pm

could not get link to work. Here's the text:

Swinney reportedly tried to lighten the mood with a comment about his own hate mail for Lakip and a story about Tajh Boyd's house getting egged after poor play in a loss at Georgia Tech.

"You move on. I remember we came back from Georgia Tech a few years ago and Tajh had a rough game and we were 8-0. We came back and his house was egged. He came in all upset," Swinney said. "Coach Morris told him 'Coach Swinney threw the first carton and I threw the second carton." It's a tough thing for young people. Nobody likes criticism. People are passionate about it but that's crossing the line.”
Charleston Pony

Postby SMU1523 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:59 pm

Humor is what we need on the hilltop. I haven't had a good laugh in a while.
SMU1523
Heisman

Postby leopold » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:33 pm

More I think about this the more it makes sense. HC jobs are few and far between and Clemson is now 1-2 only three games into the season - he no longer has Boyd and Watkins making him look like a genius. He's gotta make a jump this year if he wants to be selective.

He isn't getting a top P5 Michigan, Florida type gig. They are going to want a proven coach.

He has no experience on the West Coast. PAC 12 schools probably wont be interested.

Looking at the Big 10, Purdue may have an opening, Indiana's Wilson isn't out of the woods yet, Iowa's Frerentz (sp) is possibly in trouble and obviously Michigan could be there but the Big 10 is being killed and is NOT an ideal gig for a guy from Texas. Bad fit for the lowest P5 conference.

In the Big XII the Kansas and possibly West Virginia jobs may open up. West Virginia is practically next door but they may want a proven HC and may be sick of Offensive golden-boys, and if you have the option do you want the Kansas job? Basketball school in horrible location with no talent staring Texas, Oklahoma, Bill Snyder, T Boone Pickens and a newly resurgent Baylor in the face? Weiss took that job out of desperation.

SEC's a possibility, but there won't be many job openings there this year - possibly Miss State if Mullen goes to UF, but I would pick up the phone and go after Hudspeth at ULL if I were them. Florida ain't going after Morris. Only flag on the play here is A&M if Sumlin goes to the NFL - Morris is an Aggie and I would imagine their talent on the roster would be PERFECT for his system. But even then I would imagine he would have stiff competition.

ACC - not sure about coach's hotseats here. Virginia possibly, GaTech just got a big win so they're somewhat of a possibility, don't know much more about the ACC outside of that.

Only other option for him will come when there is a domino-effect of coaches moving up.

If Morris (who is 45, by the way) wants to be a HC he needs to jump THIS YEAR. We are a limited job opportunity for the guy that fits his background and will give him a fair shot to win and I were him - and I'm not just saying this - I would be looking HARD at this program.
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Ponymon » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:22 pm

Following June's example as well as several other former coaches, if he keeps the big boosters happy he could be here 6-7 years before being put on the hot seat!
Ponymon
PonyFans.com Legend

Previous

Return to Football