PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OT: SMU Football Coach Search Note...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

OT: SMU Football Coach Search Note...

Postby OhioBrownFan » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:53 pm

I don't want to post this over on the football board because I'm never over there so one of you guys can take it there if you want. But I've heard from two different people that I really trust on this sort of info that Tom Herman would be a guy that SMU will look hard it if they go the interim coach route for the rest of the year(which is what I assume they will do). It's very early and I got a call earlier that put it on my radar and reached out separately to someone else I trust and knows what is going on.

To give a bit of background, Tom is the Ohio State offensive coordinator at the moment. It makes a lot of sense on the surface and SMU would be the ideal fit. He was previously OC at Iowa State and did and great job there. He has strong Texas ties, has recruited the DFW very, very well for years. He's been offered lower end jobs before but I believe SMU is an ideal fit because he will not take a step back in salary and is going to a recruiting hot-bed that he knows inside and out. I just wanted to drop this note as I heard from a couple guys in the "know" and threw it out as a very real possibility. Wouldn't bring it here if it wasn't coming from the guys that it did.

As for him personally, I think he is a pretty good coach, he likes to run the spread offense and get guys out into space. Herman likes to use the perimeter game to create miss-matches; jet sweeps, bubble-screens, H-back role, multiple backs in the backfield and a lot of guys in motion. Right now, Dontre Wilson and Jalin Marshall are filling the H-back role if you're wondering what I'm talking about. Percy Harvin was the same at Florida for Urban. Just a heads up, hopefully SMU hits a homerun on the hire. One other factor that will come into effect is if Jerry can get Sumlin out of A&M at the season end.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Re: OT: SMU Football Coach Search Note...

Postby OhioBrownFan » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:01 pm

Not be a buzz kill but the Sumlin reference to the Cowboys was me trying to indicate that it has implications on Chad Morris. I do believe that Chad will want to stay at a P5 school and him to A&M have been linked for quite a while assuming that Jerry does get his wish.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby ideal » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:03 pm

He would love it here.
Brings some intangibles we need.
The ncaa is a R.I.C.O.
ideal
Junior Varsity

Postby OhioBrownFan » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:22 pm

To build on recruiting, he has a hand in nearly every offensive player OSU has brought in during Urban's tenure. Some of the Texas guys that he was the primary recruiter that come to mind off the top of my head are:
R100 RB Dontre Wilson
R100 LB Mike Mitchell
R250 OG Demetrious Knox
R250 QB JT Barrett
Graduate Transfer from Bama C Chad Lindsay
R100 RB Ezekiel Elliott out of Missouri

Like I said, he brought in more than that but those are the guys I'm positive he was the lead recruiter on, many didn't need much of an assist from Urban. He lives down in DFW during the open recruiting periods and does a great job pulling in top-tier talent from that area.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby blackoutpony » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:57 pm

OhioBrownFan wrote:To build on recruiting, he has a hand in nearly every offensive player OSU has brought in during Urban's tenure. Some of the Texas guys that he was the primary recruiter that come to mind off the top of my head are:
R100 RB Dontre Wilson
R100 LB Mike Mitchell
R250 OG Demetrious Knox
R250 QB JT Barrett
Graduate Transfer from Bama C Chad Lindsay
R100 RB Ezekiel Elliott out of Missouri

Like I said, he brought in more than that but those are the guys I'm positive he was the lead recruiter on, many didn't need much of an assist from Urban. He lives down in DFW during the open recruiting periods and does a great job pulling in top-tier talent from that area.

Foxsports has already put out a list with him as a leading candidate. I wouldn't complain.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby lwjr » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:24 pm

Let's not forget what happen the last time SMU hired a coach from Ohio State
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:38 pm

lwjr wrote:Let's not forget what happen the last time SMU hired a coach from Ohio State

Who is that?
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:40 pm

Herman, Morris, Spavitol all would be good candidates imo.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:44 pm

OBF, I just posted it in the football forum.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:51 pm

lwjr wrote:Let's not forget what happen the last time SMU hired a coach from Ohio State

Doubt anyone would be able to get away with that again, but yeah.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby OhioBrownFan » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:36 pm

One other thing, Herman related. Can't recall if I posted this here or not, but SMU has at least sent out a feeler to Herman.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby floridianstang » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:54 pm

OhioBrownFan wrote:One other thing, Herman related. Can't recall if I posted this here or not, but SMU has at least sent out a feeler to Herman.

Hmmm... :)

I prefer Morris/Beaty OC combo but this wouldn't be bad either.
floridianstang
All-American

Postby SMU1523 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:48 pm

I would lose it if we went with that look. We finally have the uniforms on the right track.
SMU1523
Heisman

Return to Football